What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

358540.jpg

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Next up:

791552.jpg

You're into Eastern philosophy lately? ;) 

We read The Bhagavad Gita as part of Mahabharata at school. Epic poems are really not my thing so meh...

The Dhammapada is an important read in Pali Tipitaka but it failed to make a lasting impression on me - and that's coming from someone who has a soft spot for Buddhism...  If you ever want to continue reading on it I would highly recommend The Path of the Elders: A Modern Exposition of Ancient Buddhism by Ernest Erle Power (if you can still get a copy - I gifted mine to Panflute a while ago and it's not that easy to come across another one anymore...). That was by far the best explanation and analysis of the core of the Theravada Buddhism that I ever read.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

We read The Bhagavad Gita as part of Mahabharata at school. Epic poems are really not my thing so meh...

The Dhammapada is an important read in Pali Tipitaka but it failed to make a lasting impression on me - and that's coming from someone who has a soft spot for Buddhism...  If you ever want to continue reading on it I would highly recommend The Path of the Elders: A Modern Exposition of Ancient Buddhism by Ernest Erle Power (if you can still get a copy - I gifted mine to Panflute a while ago and it's not that easy to come across another one anymore...). That was by far the best explanation and analysis of the core of the Theravada Buddhism that I ever read.

Always have been. It's why I moved to China. 

I have flirted with Buddhism for so long now, going to my local temple here in Atlanta which has a program with a couple local universities to teach course on it and classes on the Tibetan language. 

Back in 2010 H.H. DL came to Atlanta and I was able to go, had a pretty private session with him and about 10 other people, one of which was Richard Gere! I have never read the Dhammapada, but have read so many book on Buddhism you'd like I was a scholar. One of my favorites being the Tibetan Book of the Living and Dying, and also some of Thich Nhat Hanh wrote 'Old Path White Clouds' which really was an incredible read. 

I'll check out your book though, as it's something I can't seem to learn enough about. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Always have been. It's why I moved to China. 

I have flirted with Buddhism for so long now, going to my local temple here in Atlanta which has a program with a couple local universities to teach course on it and classes on the Tibetan language. 

Back in 2010 H.H. DL came to Atlanta and I was able to go, had a pretty private session with him and about 10 other people, one of which was Richard Gere! I have never read the Dhammapada, but have read so many book on Buddhism you'd like I was a scholar. One of my favorites being the Tibetan Book of the Living and Dying, and also some of Thich Nhat Hanh wrote 'Old Path White Clouds' which really was an incredible read. 

I'll check out your book though, as it's something I can't seem to learn enough about. 

Tibetan Buddhism is quite different though as it's based on Vajrayana tradition; too esoteric and mystical for my liking personally. I appreciate Thich Nhat Hanh's writings for their accessibility to everyone and he certainly has a very unique, anti-dogmatic approach but his style just doesn't resonate with me much.

All that said, my interest in Buddhism is purely academic. I definitely have a soft spot for it based on the philosophy at its core, the fact that originally it encourages the search for answers personally instead of mindlessly following the dogma, and its compatibility with science, but as every other religion, it turns away from what it preaches in many cases in practice when it's followed by the masses. That and also I'm just not made for religious/spiritual practices altogether haha.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Tibetan Buddhism is quite different though as it's based on Vajrayana tradition; too esoteric and mystical for my liking personally. I appreciate Thich Nhat Hanh's writings for their accessibility to everyone and he certainly has a very unique, anti-dogmatic approach but his style just doesn't resonate with me much.

All that said, my interest in Buddhism is purely academic. I definitely have a soft spot for it based on the philosophy at its core, the fact that originally it encourages the search for answers personally instead of mindlessly following the dogma, and its compatibility with science, but as every other religion, it turns away from what it preaches in many cases in practice when it's followed by the masses. That and also I'm just not made for religious/spiritual practices altogether haha.

Yes, I have only really studied Tibetan, or Vajrayana mostly, and it is a bit mystic. I have always been drawn to the Dalai Lama's open mindedness in regards to science and how when an ancient Tibetan tradition is proven wrong via scientific evidence, he seems to always be accepting of the change and understanding that some tradition is just that, tradition. 

A lot of TNH's writing don't resonate with me, although like you said, he has to be commended for reaching the masses which isn't something a lot of Buddhist monk has been able to do in the past. 

I'm very interested in learning more about Theravada Buddhism and so I'll search for that book. I'm sure I can snag a copy somewhere. 

BTW, how is Panflute doing? I feel like I haven't spoken with him in ages.  

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yes, I have only really studied Tibetan, or Vajrayana mostly, and it is a bit mystic. I have always been drawn to the Dalai Lama's open mindedness in regards to science and how when an ancient Tibetan tradition is proven wrong via scientific evidence, he seems to always be accepting of the change and understanding that some tradition is just that, tradition. 

A lot of TNH's writing don't resonate with me, although like you said, he has to be commended for reaching the masses which isn't something a lot of Buddhist monk has been able to do in the past. 

I'm very interested in learning more about Theravada Buddhism and so I'll search for that book. I'm sure I can snag a copy somewhere. 

BTW, how is Panflute doing? I feel like I haven't spoken with him in ages.  

He's fine... I should try to get him back on here hehe  but he doesn't seem to have much interest in participating in the forum lately.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

He's fine... I should try to get him back on here hehe  but he doesn't seem to have much interest in participating in the forum lately.

Can't blame him really. As we all get older, it's seems we have less and less time. 

2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

51yvz7yNF6L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just got past the 50-page mark with this. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected, for some reason I was thinking it would be much slower than it turns out to be.

That is my favorite book of all time. Dostoyevsky's life during the writing of that is absolutely crazy, which you can tell when you know the events and read the book. 

15 hours ago, nudge said:

Mikhail Bulgakov is by far the best Russian author and The Master and Margarita is the best Russian novel of all time.

:ay:

I've read The Master and Margarita so I'll decide this matter in due course.

I also got about a 1/3rd of the way through War and Peace when I was 16 - wonder if I'll ever get round to it again.

Edited by Inverted

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I also got about a 1/3rd of the way through War and Peace when I was 16 - wonder if I'll ever get round to it again.

I find Tolstoy tedious and War and Peace is just torture haha. Didn't care for Anna Karenina either. Dostoyevsky is 'meh' for me; I appreciate the insights into the human psyche but his writing style is not great and for me it all feels too theatrical and too dramatic (for a lack of better word). Russian literature classics are usually just too dramatic and melancholic for my liking overall but that's just a part of the "Russian soul" hehe. Bulgakov is the only one I truly enjoy. Also liked Mikhail Sholokhov's And Quiet Flows the Don as well as Alexander Solzhenitsyn's novels. That said, outside of those "big books", soviet sci-fi and fantasy used to be really good as well as their action/adventure/spy/detective novels and travelogues.

12 hours ago, Inverted said:

Haha - and that's my second favorite Russian novel. 

Oblomov was also good IMO, as well as Dead Souls. 

On 07/02/2019 at 08:05, nudge said:

It has been bought! 

What timing in my life. So for my birthday, my father who most really understand me bought me a Newcastle Scarf and Beanie (Since Atlanta United's best player is now there), and a $100 gift card to Thriftbooks.com (which, if you don't know, is a massive used book store online). So I bought it, and 14 other books so far with just $60. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

It has been bought! 

What timing in my life. So for my birthday, my father who most really understand me bought me a Newcastle Scarf and Beanie (Since Atlanta United's best player is now there), and a $100 gift card to Thriftbooks.com (which, if you don't know, is a massive used book store online). So I bought it, and 14 other books so far with just $60. 

Nice!

What other books did you order? :) 

1. The Path of Elders
  2. Fluent Forever
  3. The Four Noble Truths
  4. The Tao of Pooh
  5. Altruism: The Power of Compassion
  6. A Plea for the Animals: The Moral, Philosophical, and Evolutionary Imperative to Treat All Beings with Compassion
  7. The Monk and the Philosopher
  8. Le Petit Prince (In French, so I can read it to my daughter)
  9. The Art of Living : Vipassana Meditation
  10.  501 French Verbs
  11. Mastering French Vocabulary : A Thematic Approach
  12. Harry Potter, Tome 1 : Harry Potter a l'ecole des sorciers (Harry Potter, Book 1, in French)
  13. The Attention Revolution
  14. Altered Traits: Science Reveals how Meditation Changes your Mind, Brain, and Body
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I have. 

I'm curious then, why The Tao of Pooh? I couldn't stand it; the author is so smug and the message of the book was just weird in my opinion... Let me know your thoughts once you read it! 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm curious then, why The Tao of Pooh? I couldn't stand it; the author is so smug and the message of the book was just weird in my opinion... Let me know your thoughts once you read it! 

2 reasons, 

1. I've actually heard great things about it. 
2. It was $1.09

• Haha 1