talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

On 09/03/2019 at 00:17, nudge said:

It's also worth noting that Conrad was not a native English speaker and only learned it in his twenties; that's impressive to see how he mastered the language but it also might explain why his style was too heavy on metaphors and felt a bit pretentious overall. 

I was never a fan of the modernist stream of consciousness style in literature (except Knut Hamsun's Hunger) anyway and my enjoyment of Heart of Darkness suffers a lot from that but at least it's still readable and the plot is interesting and quite fascinating. Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time is THE "modern classic" that I just couldn't read - getting through one novel was tough, all seven volumes is nearly impossible.

I wasn't aware of that. It's actually admirable how wonderful is English is then. 

It is a brutal read as the book progress. I actually enjoyed it - not something I thought of the book when I started it. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Upvote 1

413Nfsxx02L._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished this and was a struggle. Unfortunately there's just too much to cover to be able to do any justice to the content. At some points it was almost like 'this fella was born then started a war then got killed. Moving on'. I mean, what? So something different up next, and a book form one of my faves, David Baldacci. It's a bit different from his usual thrillers though. It's called One Summer and not sure if I'm going to enjoy this one. We'll soon see.

Just Finished - 

113310.jpg

4/10  - Such a looong book to really not ever accomplish anything. A tons of chance encounters and the ending is absolutely an abomination. I'll made Amazon suggested I read this...I guess because it's centered on Chess, Napoleon, and France, but still. Ugh. 

Now I'm reading - 

9883337._SY180_.jpg

23131105._SY180_.jpg

On 22/01/2019 at 06:20, Eco said:

Finished both of these this past weekend. 

Now I'm reading 3 books, spend time in the morning on the first, reading the second during lunch, and the third right before bed. 

358540._SY180_.jpg

7840156._SY180_.jpg

40121378._SY180_.jpg

Why read 3 books in parallel mate? 

• Subscriber

Yeah, I'm also into book polygamy haha, usually have one or more nonfiction and one fiction going at any given time plus an audiobook on top of that when I'm working... I like to mix it up a bit although if I find a certain book extremely captivating then I obviously focus on it.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I'm also into book polygamy haha, usually have one or more nonfiction and one fiction going at any given time plus an audiobook on top of that when I'm working... I like to mix it up a bit although if I find a certain book extremely captivating then I obviously focus on it.

Aye, many a time I have been reading a couple of books at the same time and then our son will visit and bring me a new Lee Child - Jack Reacher book in and I start AND finish the Reacher novel before going back to the other two as I love the character Reacher and can read the full story in under a day.

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why read 3 books in parallel mate? 

Ha - looks like your question was answered by a few. 

Yeah - I usually like to read 3-4 books at a time, usually are greatly unique in terms of genre, with only 1 being a fiction book. Usually I stick to the same cadence, 1 religious text, 1 biography, 1 philosophy/business book, 1 fiction. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

sevenses-neal-stephenson.jpg

Starting Neal Stephenson's Seveneves tonight...

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Anatham, Reamde, and Cryptonomicon comes an exciting and thought-provoking science fiction epic—a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years.

What would happen if the world were ending?

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space.

But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain . . .

Five thousand years later, their progeny—seven distinct races now three billion strong—embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.

A writer of dazzling genius and imaginative vision, Neal Stephenson combines science, philosophy, technology, psychology, and literature in a magnificent work of speculative fiction that offers a portrait of a future that is both extraordinary and eerily recognizable. As he did in Anathem, Cryptonomicon, the Baroque Cycle, and Reamde, Stephenson explores some of our biggest ideas and perplexing challenges in a breathtaking saga that is daring, engrossing, and altogether brilliant.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

20873740._SY180_.jpg

I read this one (well rather listened to it as I got it as an audio book) last year! I've posted this here before, but it's a very fascinating book; a sort of a popular science version of "big anthropological history" that covers history, culture and societal aspects of our species and raises quite a few interesting points throughout. I think you will enjoy it. If you do, make sure to get the "sequel" called Homo Deus which continues where Sapiens left off and attempts to paint an image of the future of humankind.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I read this one (well rather listened to it as I got it as an audio book) last year! I've posted this here before, but it's a very fascinating book; a sort of a popular science version of "big anthropological history" that covers history, culture and societal aspects of our species and raises quite a few interesting points throughout. I think you will enjoy it. If you do, make sure to get the "sequel" called Homo Deus which continues where Sapiens left off and attempts to paint an image of the future of humankind.

Nice! Yes I got both of them for Kindle for like $3 during one of their sales. So far (I'm about 20% done), and it's extremely fascinating. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nice! Yes I got both of them for Kindle for like $3 during one of their sales. So far (I'm about 20% done), and it's extremely fascinating. 

Yeah I thought it would be right up your alley :) If you like this style of "big history" books I highly recommend Why the West Rules—For Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About the Future by Ian Morris. It's a massive read (some 700 pages) but it completely blew my mind.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah I thought it would be right up your alley :) If you like this style of "big history" books I highly recommend Why the West Rules—For Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About the Future by Ian Morris. It's a massive read (some 700 pages) but it completely blew my mind.

700 isn't too bad. Hell, the Third Reich book I'm reading is 1,300 pages. Haha

14 hours ago, nudge said:

For Now Soon it will be in East where it truly belongs :coffee:

In my personal opinion no one will be replacing the US as the superpower and the West in general for a long long time than we think whether China, Russia etc 

People like to convey, colonialism is over. In reality, they have simply privatized state colonization. Today, Europe is penetrating markets in Africa in the form of sectoral free trade and subsidies, and is still substantially destroying these countries. Europe has won almost all the important resources from Mauritania to Cameroon (especially France). 

• 2 weeks later...