talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber

Started re-reading de Saint-Exupéry's Citadelle (also known as The Wisdom of the Sands) for the nth time tonight. The only book I took with me when I left and it felt like it's time to read it again.

51DuzuKrbjL.jpg

Just finished this, which though not very accessibly written, was a thought-provoking challenge to a lot of what we presume about the origins and universality of human rights as a concept.

Now starting with something I've been meaning to read for ages - a classic account of not just the only successful slave revolt in history, but also one of the most important and overlooked revolutions in history:

black-jacobins-second-edition.jpg?w=584

Edited by Inverted

• Subscriber

John Grisham 'The Last Juror' (2004), read it a few years back but giving it another bash. 

220px-Lastjuror.jpg

In 1970, one of Mississippi s more colourful weekly newspapers, The Ford County Times, went bankrupt. To the surprise and dismay of many, ownership was assumed by a 23-year-old college dropout, named Willie Traynor. The future of the paper looked grim until a young mother was brutally raped and murdered by a member of the notorious Padgitt family. Willie Traynor reported all the gruesome details, and his newspaper began to prosper.

The murderer, Danny Padgitt, was tried before a packed courthouse in Clanton, Mississippi. The trial came to a startling and dramatic end when the defendant threatened revenge against the jurors if they convicted him. Nevertheless, they found him guilty, and he was sentenced to life in prison. 

But in Mississippi in 1970, life didn't necessarily mean life, and nine years later Danny Padgitt managed to get himself paroled. He returned to Ford County, and the retribution began. 

I really need to pick up a book - as I've slowed down recently with the weather getting nicer and thus I'm spending more time outside with the princess. 

I have two books that I 'kind of' started, but really want to read them in their entirety. 

767171._SY180_.jpg  22208239._SX120_.jpg

However - these are both LONG books, and I tend to enjoy sticking with 3 at a time, so there might be another one that I add to the rotisserie. 

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'll be going on a book buying spree in summer xD Probably won't have enough time to read them all but who cares. I miss holding a fresh new book in my hands...

Yeah - I have moved to a lot of e-books, which aren't terrible, but definitely not the same. 

The touch, feel, smell of a book is something you can't replicate electronically. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I have moved to a lot of e-books, which aren't terrible, but definitely not the same. 

The touch, feel, smell of a book is something you can't replicate electronically. 

There's only one (physical) book I took with me when I moved and I left the rest behind/passed them over to somebody... I hate it. A house without books just looks weird to me.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

There's only one (physical) book I took with me when I moved and I left the rest behind/passed them over to somebody... I hate it. A house without books just looks weird to me.

A house without books is not one I care to live in. 

When I lived in China, I paid top dollar for English books, but I had to as it wasn't a place I wanted to spend my free time without literature of any sort. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

A house without books is not one I care to live in. 

When I lived in China, I paid top dollar for English books, but I had to as it wasn't a place I wanted to spend my free time without literature of any sort. 

Yeah then you can definitely understand my pain of having over a thousand of books throughout my life and then having to get rid of them... Almost broke my heart xD 

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah then you can definitely understand my pain of having over a thousand of books throughout my life and then having to get rid of them... Almost broke my heart xD 

Ha- I always 'knew' I was coming back, so I put all of mine in a storage unit, along with a shoe box of personal items I wanted to keep. 

Crazy looking really. Floor to ceiling books and a small shoe box of items I needed to keep safe. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ha- I always 'knew' I was coming back, so I put all of mine in a storage unit, along with a shoe box of personal items I wanted to keep. 

Crazy looking really. Floor to ceiling books and a small shoe box of items I needed to keep safe. 

Yeah... My only consolation was the fact that I was passing most of them over to my friends and acquaintances meaning someone else got to enjoy it and learn from it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah... My only consolation was the fact that I was passing most of them over to my friends and acquaintances meaning someone else got to enjoy it and learn from it.

Yes - I don't understand people who throw away books. 

I'm don't care if it's an accounting book from 1956, give it to a used book store and maybe, just maybe, someone can enjoy the work it took to write that book. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I've always read off my Kindle for the last few years. I do get what people are saying about having a real book but since I went to university I've always had a room and maybe a small section of storage space to live in which doesn't lend itself to storing a lot of books.

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've always read off my Kindle for the last few years. I do get what people are saying about having a real book but since I went to university I've always had a room and maybe a small section of storage space to live in which doesn't lend itself to storing a lot of books.

Yeah - that's certainly a positive with having a kindle. Plus, since I am usually going through 2-3 books at a time, it's a major back saver and more convenient to just have a Kindle. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2018 at 14:51, Inverted said:

Image result for and the weak suffer what they must

Just finished this. I liked the fairly straightforward way of explaining a lot of the economic developments between the EU and America, and the EU and the southern states, but overall the tone was a bit dull and self-righteous. For a layman like me it was worth the effort of persisting with and reading through, but not the most captivating read.

Initially i was considering reading one of his books, too, because he's a mathematician and I was interested in mathematical models he might have used. But then he started claiming that 90% of the European financial aids Greece received went straight to German banks - a claim that was parroted by two notorious anti-EU members on tff btw. Later he had to admit that the total fraction of aids that went to banks in general was actually just about a third. I take your post as a confirmation to my conclusion that Y. Varoufakis lacks the intellectual integrity to produce anything that's worth my time and money.

1 hour ago, BartraPique1932 said:

Initially i was considering reading one of his books, too, because he's a mathematician and I was interested in mathematical models he might have used. But then he started claiming that 90% of the European financial aids Greece received went straight to German banks - a claim that was parroted by two notorious anti-EU members on tff btw. Later he had to admit that the total fraction of aids that went to banks in general was actually just about a third. I take your post as a confirmation to my conclusion that Y. Varoufakis lacks the intellectual integrity to produce anything that's worth my time and money.

I think the broad thrust of his argument - that Germany's attitude to the crisis was unconstructive and that the public in Germany (much like the public in Britain) was too easily convinced of bogus deflationary economics - is correct. And that's a point that too few people acknowledge about the Greek crisis. 

But yeah there's plenty of other places to get the non-Schäuble argument besides Varoufakis, and from people who have less of an axe to grind. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4eQ447R.jpg

Just finished reading this chilling account of genocide by the communist state government that ruled in West Bengal. The shocking fact is that this event is rarely mentioned in the country. 

Not really surprised. The communists here, whenever in power, have ruled with an iron fist.