talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished ‘The Frying Pan of Spain’. It’s about the history of both Sevilla and Real Betis. Was a bit tough going at one point, as I got a bit bored, but the last ten or so chapters pulled it around. 

Now on ‘Living on the Volcano - Secrets or surviving as a Football Manager’. Flew through the first couple of chapters. Fascinating and a reminder that Football Managers are people, too. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5zEmx5sVhAF1PVS96AdW

Excellent, thorough and factual exposure of this country's most celebrated Historians (predominately left wing) who for decades ruled the academia like actual fascists by bullying people and destroying careers of people who dared to think differently or put forward a different perspective.

Also, exposes how these people meticulously whitewashed the crimes committed by genocidal Mughal barbarians with revisionism. This is essential reading for most Indians, and anyone interested in India's actual history.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ef18767b8c9a7b5de0a05b3d0d79e966.png

7 Pieces of Reading Advice From History’s Greatest Minds

BB14FPuW.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

If there’s one thing that unites philosophers, writers, politicians, and scientists across time and distance, it’s the belief that reading can broaden your worldview and strengthen your intellect better than just about any other activity. When it comes to choosing what to read and how to go about it, however, opinions start to diverge. From Virginia Woolf’s affinity for wandering secondhand bookstores to Theodore Roosevelt’s rejection of a definitive “best books” list, here are seven pieces of reading advice to help you build an impressive to-be-read (TBR) pile.

>>  1. Read books from eras past // Albert Einstein

Currently reading, The Count of Monte Cristo, and it'll be the first time for me. 

40520568._SY475_.jpg

I'm almost half way through, and this book is absolutely brilliant. I have heard marvelous things about it, but had never picked it up until now. 

Now it seems like I can't put it down. Absolutely brilliant. 

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Currently reading, The Count of Monte Cristo, and it'll be the first time for me. 

40520568._SY475_.jpg

I'm almost half way through, and this book is absolutely brilliant. I have heard marvelous things about it, but had never picked it up until now. 

Now it seems like I can't put it down. Absolutely brilliant. 

Really really surprised you haven't read it before! 

Just now, nudge said:

Really really surprised you haven't read it before! 

Yeah I am too, as is my Dad. 

This may be the best book I have read in a long time, if not ever. 

• Subscriber

First new book I have picked up in a long time.

81v45yUwQuL.jpg

Released in 2019, read nothing but great reviews. It's supposed to be a blend of cyberpunk, space opera, and political thriller that examines how a society’s memory steers cultural and political events, and offers a meditation on the lengths people will go to be free. Has been shortlisted as the finalist of the 2020 Hugo Award. Talking about that, I challenged myself to read all the books that have won (or have been on the shortlist to win) the Hugo Award since the very beginning in 1953. Quite a list to go through...

• Subscriber

41RQStDwPBL.SX316.SY316.jpg

On the trail of a vicious kidnapper, Reacher is learning the chilling secrets of his employer's past…and of a horrific drama in the heart of a nasty little war. He's beginning to realize that Edward Lane is hiding something. Something dirty. Something big. But Reacher also knows this: he's already in way too deep to stop now.

• Subscriber

Starting my challenge of reading all the Hugo Award for Best Novel winning books that I haven't read yet (in a chronological order).

First one, is also the first ever winner of the award: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Cover_Alfred-Bester_Demolished.jpg

In a world in which the police have telepathic powers, how do you get away with murder?

Ben Reichs heads a huge 24th century business empire, spanning the solar system. He is also an obsessed, driven man determined to murder a rival. To avoid capture, in a society where murderers can be detected even before they commit their crime, is the greatest challenge of his life.

Sounds like it might have inspired The Minority Report...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 24/06/2020 at 19:27, nudge said:

Starting my challenge of reading all the Hugo Award for Best Novel winning books that I haven't read yet (in a chronological order).

First one, is also the first ever winner of the award: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Just finished this one, actually quite enjoyed it. Pretty much a crime novel/psychological thriller/murder mystery/film noir in a sci fi setting, a bit pulpy, thouroughly 50s feel. Also probably the first novel ever to use textspeak (@kins, T8, $$son) xD .

Anyway, moving to the next one. Quite excited, but for all the wrong reasons, as it's apparently the worst novel to ever win the Hugo Award xD 

6295337.jpg

They'd Rather Be Right (also known as The Forever Machine) by Mark Clifton and Frank Riley. 

Wish me luck.

• Upvote 1

On 24/06/2020 at 12:27, nudge said:

Missed this - but this sounds like a great challenge. 

I have been in need of an easy read, and have rather enjoyed the historical thrillers as of late, and so I started a new author and his first novel is a love series of fiction books. 

6619890.jpg

Next up - I'll go with either of the following - which is a topic that I have always been interested in.

7282903.jpg 64533.jpg

• Upvote 1