talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Missed this - but this sounds like a great challenge. 

Yep, I especially like it as it makes it easy to choose the next book to read without having to spend hours trying to decide :4_joy: I also love sci-fi, so it was a no brainer... 

• Haha 1

Just now, nudge said:

Yep, I especially like it as it makes it easy to choose the next book to read without having to spend hours trying to decide :4_joy: I also love sci-fi, so it was a no brainer... 

I read a book that was a Hugo Award winner, and I just didn't get it. So then I did some research...

Hugo is for Sci-Fi, and not what I just assumed, which was some form similar to that of Victor Hugo. xD

I also like Sci-Fi, so I might want to take this up as well next year when things SHOULD be slowing down. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Dugout an old Robert Ludlam novel written in 2001 by Ludlam Amber Warning unfinished due to his death but in 2005 "the author's estate hired an author and an editor to finalize the manuscript for publication in October 2005. Early sales placed it on The New York Times Best Seller List within a month of its release." One of my favourite authors and the new author continued on in the same vein as Ludlam story-wise and a good read, I have read this a few times since 2005.

Ludlum_-_The_Ambler_Warning_Coverart.png

Then I've just bought a released in May this year novel by James Patterson in the detective Alex Cross series called Criss-Cross, looking forward to reading that as he is another author I like especially the Alex Cross series of books.

9781787461864.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 20/07/2020 at 02:49, nudge said:

Just finished this one, actually quite enjoyed it. Pretty much a crime novel/psychological thriller/murder mystery/film noir in a sci fi setting, a bit pulpy, thouroughly 50s feel. Also probably the first novel ever to use textspeak (@kins, T8, $$son) xD .

Anyway, moving to the next one. Quite excited, but for all the wrong reasons, as it's apparently the worst novel to ever win the Hugo Award xD 

6295337.jpg

They'd Rather Be Right (also known as The Forever Machine) by Mark Clifton and Frank Riley. 

Wish me luck.

So... this wasn't great, as expected. The premise was actually pretty good and they tried to be insightful, but the style was quite off-putting (too much of flat rethoric) and having two authors (why?) probably didn't do any favours for the flow and consistency of the ideas presented. 

Next in the pipeline:

DBLSTRSDQV1976.jpg

Love Heinlein, haven't read this one. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It was always the opposite with me... last knockings before bed, go through a chapter or two helped me settle down and it didn't disturb the missus when she was trying to sleep :D

For me it's usually "just one more page and then I'm going to sleep" xD

• Haha 1

81U41KYJA9L.jpg

71rLR6fQXWL.jpg

Just finished these two, currently close to finishing this off:

15997._UY500_SS500_.jpg

Not usually big on poetry but I'm really enjoying Milton. There are lots of lines that really stick with you, even after just one or two reads. 

"The mind is its own realm, and in itself

Can make a heav'n of hell,

and a hell of heav'n"

(Think that's how it goes, at least)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Not bad but not like a lot of other books he has penned. 

1787465403.jpg

I prefer his detective Alex Cross books and whenever I read one of them I always picture Morgan Freeman as Cross as he acted in the film's Kiss The Girls and Along Came A Spider, Patterson books with detective Cross made into films.  

download.png.f6f38a051ee09c3815d2eb887dd34b73.png378088605_download(2).png.8121b4a3010b733f712f43dbd60fcc8a.png

Just now, nudge said:

Yes, Anathem and Seveneves. Why? 

Just curious, I have read 2 of his books, Anathem and reading Cryptonomicon, but I love his writing and thought you might find his novels interesting. 

I'm going to try and read the Baroque Cycle next year. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Just curious, I have read 2 of his books, Anathem and reading Cryptonomicon, but I love his writing and thought you might find his novels interesting. 

I'm going to try and read the Baroque Cycle next year. 

I enjoyed both Anathem and Seveneves, but didn't love them... Think for me Stephenson is a bit hit and miss. From big names in contemporary sci-fi, I think I like John Scalzi the best. Humorous, fast-paced, traditional. Reminds me of Heinlein a bit. The most recent sci fi novel that I read and really adored was A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, a fantastic read.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I enjoyed both Anathem and Seveneves, but didn't love them... Think for me Stephenson is a bit hit and miss. From big names in contemporary sci-fi, I think I like John Scalzi the best. Humorous, fast-paced, traditional. Reminds me of Heinlein a bit. The most recent sci fi novel that I read and really adored was A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, a fantastic read.

I enjoy Heinlein a lot, and have never read Scalzi, but I just reserved Old Man's War from the library. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Decided to follow @nudge's route and will begin to tackle The Hugo Award Winners since it's inception. 

Couldn't find the first winner, The Demolished Man, at my library, so I bought a used copy online for a couple of bucks. 

The_Demolished_Man_first_edition.jpg

Copycat! :P

I quite enjoyed that one, a decent story. 

• Haha 1

Just now, nudge said:

Copycat! :P

I quite enjoyed that one, a decent story

I needed to change it up, so from the Library I have put a hold on Dawn of the Jedi

So I think saying I'm a copycat is likely very accurate. xD

Have you read the Foundation Series? Any good? I have wanted to read them, but I have a tough time getting past his questionable lifestyle.