talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I needed to change it up, so from the Library I have put a hold on Dawn of the Jedi

So I think saying I'm a copycat is likely very accurate. xD

Have you read the Foundation Series? Any good? I have wanted to read them, but I have a tough time getting past his questionable lifestyle. 

Good stuff! Loved Dawn of the Jedi, especially the ancient Je'daai order, and it also has one of my all time favourite minor characters in the Star Wars universe. 

Asimov's Foundation? Sure, one of the earliest scifi I read as a child... Loved it. Didn't even know anything about his questionable lifestyle, had to Google it xD

Just now, nudge said:

Good stuff! Loved Dawn of the Jedi, especially the ancient Je'daai order, and it also has one of my all time favourite minor characters in the Star Wars universe. 

Asimov's Foundation? Sure, one of the earliest scifi I read as a child... Loved it. Didn't even know anything about his questionable lifestyle, had to Google it xD

Yeah - I want to read it and I don't remember how I became aware of his attitude towards women, but since then I just can't look past it. xD

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I want to read it and I don't remember how I became aware of his attitude towards women, but since then I just can't look past it. xD

I mean, I was always able to separate the art from the artist, so it doesn't really bother me, especially considering that all that happened at least five decades ago and was, at least partially, a product of different time. Also his works are too good to miss... There's a TV adaptation coming up, by the way! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

I mean, I was always able to separate the art from the artist, so it doesn't really bother me, especially considering that all that happened at least five decades ago and was, at least partially, a product of different time. Also his works are too good to miss... There's a TV adaptation coming up, by the way! 

Yeah, I am sometimes able to separate the artist from the man/woman, but for some reason that one just stuck with me. Odd, I know. 

I'll add them to the list. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 21/09/2020 at 11:23, CaaC (John) said:

Not bad but not like a lot of other books he has penned. 

1787465403.jpg

Very disappointed with this by Patterson, maybe to do with the co-author chipping in but it started off ok then became a bit of a drag and only the last few pages and chapters you began to read a bit of action, a yawn read for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wyODY4NTZ8aW1

It weighs about 20kgs, literally. It's like lifting a bag of cement.

Alot of pages with pictures but still interesting. It was 55 euros in the Barcelona club shop(what a rip off) and I'd never pay that, but I picked it up from onbuy for 20 quid. They had it in English, Catalan and Spanish and I got the Spanish one.

• Subscriber
On 09/09/2020 at 02:10, nudge said:

So... this wasn't great, as expected. The premise was actually pretty good and they tried to be insightful, but the style was quite off-putting (too much of flat rethoric) and having two authors (why?) probably didn't do any favours for the flow and consistency of the ideas presented. 

Next in the pipeline:

DBLSTRSDQV1976.jpg

Love Heinlein, haven't read this one. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Finished this a while ago. Not one of my favourite Heinlein's novels, but still a pretty decent read...

Moving next to this one:

51K1am4iLSL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only 130 pages, so will not take long...

Also subscribed to Audible recently, love it. Currently listening to this:

91f2SJQ2fvL.jpg

• Subscriber
On 30/10/2020 at 18:52, Carnivore Chris said:

?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wyODY4NTZ8aW1

It weighs about 20kgs, literally. It's like lifting a bag of cement.

Alot of pages with pictures but still interesting. It was 55 euros in the Barcelona club shop(what a rip off) and I'd never pay that, but I picked it up from onbuy for 20 quid. They had it in English, Catalan and Spanish and I got the Spanish one.

Added to my Amazon 'save for later'  list ;) 

Along with 

41dWxMXgtSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And

71d9mYKO3cL._AC_AA180_.jpg

Was on a long journey recently and i wasn't driving so i picked up this to for just a couple of quid from a petrol station i think it was.

51ILW47IZfL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nothing special, just a nice simple and easy read. Made the journey easier anyway xD

• Upvote 1

On 09/11/2020 at 10:32, JOSHBRFC said:

Added to my Amazon 'save for later'  list ;) 

Along with 

41dWxMXgtSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And

71d9mYKO3cL._AC_AA180_.jpg

Was on a long journey recently and i wasn't driving so i picked up this to for just a couple of quid from a petrol station i think it was.

51ILW47IZfL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nothing special, just a nice simple and easy read. Made the journey easier anyway xD

I was looking at some El Chapo books but they'd need importing from the USA so I couldn't be arsed due to the wait.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I was looking at some El Chapo books but they'd need importing from the USA so I couldn't be arsed due to the wait.

Check out Book Depository, they are in the UK and offer a huge variety of books in various languages, free delivery. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Nudge, you always have the answer.

Fantastic site with loads of choice. Thanks for the recommendation :D

You're welcome... Been ordering from them for the past 20 years; it's great. Customer service is also very good, if you ever have to use it. I think their international website has been acquired by Amazon, but the original UK one is still the same.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

You're welcome... Been ordering from them for the past 20 years; it's great. Customer service is also very good, if you ever have to use it. I think their international website has been acquired by Amazon, but the original UK one is still the same.

All the books I was looking for are on here.

I think you may have even recommended the same site years ago and I forgot.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Haha 1

Currently Reading Revan

Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)

And Stacey Abram's first book - Lead from the Outside

Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change

Need to finish these up ASAP, as tomorrow the new Obama book comes out, and at over 700 pages, I am going to dedicate all my time to reading it. Pre-ordered it so it'll be delivered to my door tomorrow AM. 

A Promised Land

I’ve read two books in my entire life and the first one took me a year to finish, I was about 12 😅

Made an effort to read recently and read Translations by Brian Friel (a play), an Irish book that would come under the genre of “The Brits Are At It Again”...was an easy enough read and the characters were endearing. Done well to highlight the complicated nature of colonialism and the various effects it can have on the people being oppressed by it, as well as the people put in charge to support it.