• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just ordered the book below by Andrew Grant, the younger brother of Lee Childs who writes the Jack Reacher books and Andrew is co-writing Reacher with his brother atm and will soon take over writing about Jack Reacher as Lee Childs will be retiring from writing Reacher. 

311807311_10227552650577729_2223061516396660648_n.jpg

Spoiler

“When I saw the body, my first thought was to just keep on walking. This one had nothing to do with me.”

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

174354._UY475_SS475_.jpg 

Starting this tonight. I love reading about exploration and adventures that actually happened, and according to the reviews I've read, this one seems to have it all -  wild orgies, bloody battles, mutinies, shipwrecks, torture, disease, treasure, as well as the historical details of the state of navigation, European politics, global trade, and early European encounters with other cultures

• Subscriber
On 02/11/2022 at 10:38, CaaC (John) said:

Just ordered the book below by Andrew Grant, the younger brother of Lee Childs who writes the Jack Reacher books and Andrew is co-writing Reacher with his brother atm and will soon take over writing about Jack Reacher as Lee Childs will be retiring from writing Reacher. 

311807311_10227552650577729_2223061516396660648_n.jpg

Spoiler
  Hide contents

“When I saw the body, my first thought was to just keep on walking. This one had nothing to do with me.”

A bit disappointed with reading it and if I give it a rating I would give it a 4/10, a strange ending, and to me, I think he was trying to make the guy another Jack Reacher with a different personality and I could pick up little bits of a Lee Child in the book, so in all, he was trying to write the same as his brother but he got it all wrong.

Now I am reading the book below by an ex-actor now turned author, Gene Hackman and the book is not a bad read at all.

istockphoto-506397224-612x612.jpg 

Spoiler

In their second novel, Gene Hackman and Daniel Lenihan bring to life the harsh plains and smouldering courtrooms of the Midwest: the small town of Vermilion, Illinois, on the brink of the Great Depression. Boyd Carter is a troubled World War I veteran on the run from the law, suspected of murdering his estranged wife and her lover..........

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

A bit disappointed with reading it and if I give it a rating I would give it a 4/10, a strange ending, and to me, I think he was trying to make the guy another Jack Reacher with a different personality and I could pick up little bits of a Lee Child in the book, so in all, he was trying to write the same as his brother but he got it all wrong.

Now I am reading the book below by an ex-actor now turned author, Gene Hackman and the book is not a bad read at all.

istockphoto-506397224-612x612.jpg 

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

In their second novel, Gene Hackman and Daniel Lenihan bring to life the harsh plains and smouldering courtrooms of the Midwest: the small town of Vermilion, Illinois, on the brink of the Great Depression. Boyd Carter is a troubled World War I veteran on the run from the law, suspected of murdering his estranged wife and her lover..........

where can i buy it? are there online pdfs?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Re-reading this: 

51o4inZLRjL.jpg

because I recently got this one, which is a sort of a follow-up: 

9781432864507.jpg

The former is probably one of the most harrowing, heart-wrenching books I've ever read; makes me both sad and furious at the same time. 

Edited by nudge

• Subscriber

Lee Child's younger brother, 2nd book of his just about to read. :coffee:

download.png

Spoiler

Obliged to leave New York City in the aftermath of his previous mission, David Trevellyan is summoned to the British Consulate in Chicago. To the same office where, just a week before, his new handler was attacked and shot by a Royal Navy Intelligence operative gone bad

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Inverted said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkB0lHiTq3H0ndJhZAhpG

How do you like it so far? I could never get into García Márquez, for whatever reason. Both this one and Love in the Time of Cholera, which I thought was extremely annoying, especially in terms of characters.

37 minutes ago, nudge said:

How do you like it so far? I could never get into García Márquez, for whatever reason. Both this one and Love in the Time of Cholera, which I thought was extremely annoying, especially in terms of characters.

So far I would say I'm more impressed by it than I really enjoy it. It's interesting more than captivating, I would say. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Inverted said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkB0lHiTq3H0ndJhZAhpG

Crazy that you are reading this, as I was just talking about picking this book up again (I tried years ago and never finished). Let me know what you think. 

I'm about to finish this - 

51942513.jpg

Which is really good actually, as he lived in a ashram, and there was a time in my life that I was seriously considering becoming a Buddhist monk. 

36373823.jpg

Volume 2 of the series, and the first book was fantastic, whereas this one hasn't caught my attention yet and I haven't felt inspired by the words as of yet, but I'm not half-way through yet so we'll see how it progresses. 

21944579.jpg

And then this, which so far is a fantastic read about someone I know very VERY little about. 

• 1 month later...