talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Can't beat that second argument xD 

Ha - for such a small book, I figured it was worth a shot. So I'll give it a read and let you know my thoughts. I believe the idea behind the book is to use the Tao's philosophy and make it work for Winnie the Pooh..? 

I'm also on a massive Mattheiu Ricard kick. With his background in molecular genetics, and having famous parents (Jean-Francois Revel & Yahne Le Toumelin), it's interesting to me how he is a Buddhist monk that still works on the scientific effects of meditation on the brain. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ha - for such a small book, I figured it was worth a shot. So I'll give it a read and let you know my thoughts. I believe the idea behind the book is to use the Tao's philosophy and make it work for Winnie the Pooh..? 

I'm also on a massive Mattheiu Ricard kick. With his background in molecular genetics, and having famous parents (Jean-Francois Revel & Yahne Le Toumelin), it's interesting to me how he is a Buddhist monk that still works on the scientific effects of meditation on the brain. 

The book is pretty much an author's interpretation of Taoism (which in this case seems to be a simplified claim that mindlesness=wisdom) through the parable of Winnie the Pooh and what particularly struck me is his condescending tone and full-blown attacks on anything related to science and reason. I think it could still be a decent introduction to the basics of Taoism for someone who's completely new to it; that's why I asked if you read Tao Te Ching as it seems as quite a downgrade. Anyway - that's just my impression and I'd be interested to hear what you think!

I know of Matthieu Ricard but I haven't read any of his stuff although I think I still have The Quantum and The Lotus e-book (which is pretty much a discourse of Buddhism and science) somewhere on my laptop... Neuroscience research on the effects of meditation in effort to better understand how brain networks function is a very interesting field and I always found it fascinating how Buddhist tradition and science in general seem to be very compatible. Evolution, the concept of self, neuroplasticity, consciousness, quantum physics, etc.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

The book is pretty much an author's interpretation of Taoism (which in this case seems to be a simplified claim that mindlesness=wisdom) through the parable of Winnie the Pooh and what particularly struck me is his condescending tone and full-blown attacks on anything related to science and reason. I think it could still be a decent introduction to the basics of Taoism for someone who's completely new to it; that's why I asked if you read Tao Te Ching as it seems as quite a downgrade. Anyway - that's just my impression and I'd be interested to hear what you think!

I know of Matthieu Ricard but I haven't read any of his stuff although I think I still have The Quantum and The Lotus e-book (which is pretty much a discourse of Buddhism and science) somewhere on my laptop... Neuroscience research on the effects of meditation in effort to better understand how brain networks function is a very interesting field and I always found it fascinating how Buddhist tradition and science in general seem to be very compatible. Evolution, the concept of self, neuroplasticity, consciousness, quantum physics, etc.

This is exactly my thought on it. So much research is being done and all of Buddhism seems to be on board with learning and not ignoring science because it's an inconvenience to their beliefs. HH DL is actually a big fan of science and has really progressed the Buddhist crowd towards a better understanding of science, belief, and fantasy. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Eco said:

This is exactly my thought on it. So much research is being done and all of Buddhism seems to be on board with learning and not ignoring science because it's an inconvenience to their beliefs. HH DL is actually a big fan of science and has really progressed the Buddhist crowd towards a better understanding of science, belief, and fantasy. 

That's cool; even if I'm not a big fan of the Dalai Lama in general.

Kalama Sutta (https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/wheel008.html) is probably the best example in the original ancient texts of how relatively similar their suggested way of seeking for truth and knowledge is to the modern scientific method. I think the fact that Buddhism understands that is not the only source of objective and empirical truth in the world, encourages everyone to think for themselves and also welcomes dissent is one of the key reasons why it survives and easily adapts to changes while still keeping its most important principles intact. Well theoretically at least.

• Upvote 1

Currently I'm reading 3 books - One I'm only reading a chapter a day, followed by reading 'Happiness', and at night before bed, I read on Napoleon. 

So currently, here is what I'm reading. 

40121378._SY180_.jpg

^ On the Kindle. I am 48% completed

96885._SX120_.jpg

^ Paperback. Just started and reading 2-3 Chapters a day

20821092._SY180_.jpg

^Will start today, got this in Hardback from the Library

Also, I'm not sure if anyone goes to www.goodreads.com, but I enjoy the website in keeping up with how many books I've read, what I've read, and giving reviews. I just started keeping track of everything in June of last year, but it's a good little Social Media site for bibliophile.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/87531703-lucas-persell

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I need to get into a Sci-Fi series for fun. I haven't read a good one in sooooooooooooo long. Outside of GoT, I'm not even sure when I got into a good Sci-Fi recently. 

I'm just working my way through the whole Star Wars Expanded Universe (now known as Legends) collection. 270 books in total; I've only read 14 so far... So it will surely keep me entertained for a long time xD

As for "proper" sci-fi series, have you read The Expanse Series by James S. A. Corey? The TV show adaptation of it is great and I don't want to spoil it to myself so I've only read the first three books in the series but there are currently 9 altogether and even more if you count related novelas and short stories. Easily the best modern sci-fi for me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Been inspired to read recently, heard a lot of good things from various people about this, medical background or not...

41cj+EISNhL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I haven't read this one but based on the description and reviews it has a lot of similarities with Samuel Shem's The House of God... If it's at least half as good as that one then it's definitely worth reading! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Been inspired to read recently, heard a lot of good things from various people about this, medical background or not...

41cj+EISNhL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Was a great but thought provoking read. In between fits of laughter was the realisation/reality of the way health professionals are expected to work in sometimes ridiculous situations, with inadequate resources, and outrageous working hours. The ending. Well I'll just leave you to find out about that.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, nudge said:

I haven't read this one but based on the description and reviews it has a lot of similarities with Samuel Shem's The House of God... If it's at least half as good as that one then it's definitely worth reading! 

37 minutes ago, Large said:

Was a great but thought provoking read. In between fits of laughter was the realisation/reality of the way health professionals are expected to work in sometimes ridiculous situations, with inadequate resources, and outrageous working hours. The ending. Well I'll just leave you to find out about that.

Good to know! Cheers both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
27 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Found a whole bunch of classics on Amazon Kindle (mobile app) with expired copyrights, which I haven't read. Going to go through them starting with Heart of Darkness. 

I have a love/hate relationship with that book. Love the symbolism, the flow and the way it captures the feverish mood of that trip through the jungle but darn it can be tough to get into... Especially the first third of the book or so. 

• Subscriber

Started reading the Culture series by Iain M. Banks today... It's a series of novels and short fiction that center around the Culture, a post-scarcity semi-anarchist utopia consisting of various humanoid races and managed by very advanced artificial intelligence. 

First novel:

51uT5CeSI3L._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Heard that Amazon have required rights and are working on making it into a TV show so I want to finally read the books after delaying it for years...

10 hours ago, nudge said:

I have a love/hate relationship with that book. Love the symbolism, the flow and the way it captures the feverish mood of that trip through the jungle but darn it can be tough to get into... Especially the first third of the book or so. 

I am at the 24th page, and I agree the beginning was a bit messy. Still it's a good read but after a little while you realise that there are a tad too many metaphors. Suppose that's just how they wrote in the past. 

At 90 pages I should be done by tomorrow. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I am at the 24th page, and I agree the beginning was a bit messy. Still it's a good read but after a little while you realise that there are a tad too many metaphors. Suppose that's just how they wrote in the past. 

At 90 pages I should be done by tomorrow. 

It's also worth noting that Conrad was not a native English speaker and only learned it in his twenties; that's impressive to see how he mastered the language but it also might explain why his style was too heavy on metaphors and felt a bit pretentious overall. 

I was never a fan of the modernist stream of consciousness style in literature (except Knut Hamsun's Hunger) anyway and my enjoyment of Heart of Darkness suffers a lot from that but at least it's still readable and the plot is interesting and quite fascinating. Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time is THE "modern classic" that I just couldn't read - getting through one novel was tough, all seven volumes is nearly impossible.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Just got this:

w0oYNsv.jpg

Accidentally stumbled upon a few excerpts in an online article today and was completely blown away so had to get the full book... A memoir of a former NASA astronaut, Scott Kelly, who is best known for spending nearly a year on the International Space Station. Very captivating as it traces his journey from his childhood to becoming an astronaut and chronicles daily life and challenges during his year in space as well as the effects it had on his body.