talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I love historical fiction and sea novels in particular (although more nautical adventures like Jules Verne), so I've been enjoying this so far :) There's a lot of investment in nautical detail though, so it can get a bit exhausting sometimes due to all the terminology, descriptions of the ships, maneuvers, etc. 

Yes, I can only imagine. I had to read Moby Dick and the amount of information that any non-whale enthusiast has to go over is nauseating.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yes, I can only imagine. I had to read Moby Dick and the amount of information that any non-whale enthusiast has to go over is nauseating.

Haha, I'm not a fan of Moby Dick myself, it's a tough read... My personal genre favourites are definitely Jules Verne's The Adventures of Captain Hatteras, Jack London's The Sea Wolf and Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha, I'm not a fan of Moby Dick myself, it's a tough read... My personal genre favourites are definitely Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone through Deathly Hallows

I agree Nudge you have very good taste wouldn't you agree @Eco?

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

xD I'd only ever post such a thing in the guilty pleasures thread.

Liking a work of art isn't a guilty pleasure nudge. I'm not embarrassed to like Hamlet which is almost on par with Harry Potter.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

Liking a work of art isn't a guilty pleasure nudge. I'm not embarrassed to like Hamlet which is almost on par with Harry Potter.

You might have a point there, compared to other popular modern series like Twilight or 50 Shades, Harry Potter is practically a literary masterpiece xD 

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Really enjoying it mate, I've just finished the chapter that Cristiano Ronaldo wrote and he's got so much respect for Carlo its unreal. It'd be nice if they could work together again somehow as he seemed to really want him to stay at Madrid.

The Chelsea chapter was great although it didn't paint Roman Abramovich in a good light, he comes across as a crazier version of Florentino Perez which I half imagined would have been the case before reading. You can see that the writing was on the wall for him after slipping up against Mourinho's Inter.

I love how Ancelotti has stuck to his guns throughout his career thus far, he's been challenged about his laid back leadership style but I commend him for sticking to his roots and remaining true to who he is as a person. More managers should be like him. 

Yeah mate he's a don, the best football we ever played in the Roman era so far was under Ancelotti. The positive words in the book that come from not only some of the best football players in the game but some of the biggest personalities really highlight how great a manager he is, the fondness the players have for him in the book really is quite striking, the likes of Ronaldo, Ibra, Terry etc.

Yeah, the book seems to challenge people's general perceptions of leadership which I like also.

I don't know if you've read it yet but the part about Bale, Bale's agent and Perez is very interesting as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. If you like a bit of Clancy, Baldacci, Childs, etc. then you'll enjoy this. I did.

Next up is Family: Life, Death and Football by Michael Calvin. His account after spending a the full season with Millwal from day one of pre-season of 2009/10.

Finished The Dark Tower Vol: 3 the waste lands by Stephen King. I think it's really good but a slightly lesser book than book 2. 

Now 3/4 through Bernard Cornwall's The Flame Bearer which is ok but you can tell he's just churning these out now. The last two or three could have been 1 book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Family by Michael Calvin which I thought was a really good insight into Millwall. Worth a read.

Also finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi [thanks for the recommendation @nudge]. Really enjoyed it and will be adding him to my reading list now. Was quite humorous without becoming a comedy and reminded me of L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth books.

Next up is The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Large said:

Finished Family by Michael Calvin which I thought was a really good insight into Millwall. Worth a read.

Also finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi [thanks for the recommendation @nudge]. Really enjoyed it and will be adding him to my reading list now. Was quite humorous without becoming a comedy and reminded me of L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth books.

Next up is The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin.

Glad you liked it; I love his style of writing, in particular that subtle, not-over-the-top humour! 

Currently reading Cambodia: Report from a Stricken Land by Henry Kamm, a concise history and in-depth analysis of 30 years civil war and genocide, events that led to it and the consequences as well as future outlook. Bought it from one of the book sellers in Phnom Penh while drinking beer on the riverside, a good deal for just a couple of $ and a good read so far.

51ZYPSTJrLL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Subscriber
On 6/29/2017 at 6:12 PM, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Yeah its tough at first but i love math. Im definitely taking my time reading it and being careful not to miss important details. If you ever get a chance to read it, let me know. 

Will do! I'm still going through Feynman's Lectures on Physics and Christoph Schiller's Motion Mountain to refresh my knowledge on fundamentals of physics, so I will move on to something more complex, preferably engineering after that :)  

• 1 month later...

Just finished The Mixer by Michael Cox, and I really enjoyed it. Once I got into it I found myself absolutely firing through it and losing all track of time.

I especially enjoyed reading about the long stretch of the PL that I was too young to see. 

Now im about 100 pages into this: 

51tR-3OD-wL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's quite ambitious in that it's pretty much an attempt at a social and economic history of global Imperialism over a fairly active stretch of time, but so far I'm enjoying it, and even though it jumps from things like the increasing use of household appliances like telephones, to shipping trends, to politics, it seems to work. 

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...