talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

1 hour ago, CaaC said:

I am a Lee Child - Jack Reacher fan and have just finished reading 'The Midnight Line' will nip out and get his next novel called 'Past Tense' or my son will buy it, read it and pass it onto me. 

Reveal hidden contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFkol45zkHWi4MEK11m91

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk5C6wV24rcWPdcEzDmyN

How do you feel about Tom Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher in the films??? Does his character fall in line with the books and pretty much how you had the vision of the character being???

I must warn you in advance though your reply might get you put on ignore straight away from @nudge depending on the response... and only that Bottle of Scotch is going to undo that lock out... 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

How do you feel about Tom Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher in the films??? Does his character fall in line with the books and pretty much how you had the vision of the character being???

I must warn you in advance though your reply might get you put on ignore straight away from @nudge depending on the response... and only that Bottle of Scotch is going to undo that lock out... 

I have been asked this question many a time and my reply has always been...

Jack Reacher in the books is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest.

Tom Cruise is... Height 1.70 m, Weight 77 kg, no way in a million years could Cruise be Reacher, when I saw the first movie 'One Shot' where Reacher was offered out in a car park for a fight, In the book some of the 5 guys were over 6ft tall yet there is Cruise fighting them at 5ft odd, I just pissed myself laughing, someone like Liam Neeson would have been a far better Reacher, my son though has watched both films and although he agrees with me that Cruise is not the type for a Reacher character but said he acted the part quite well, look at the Video of the fight below, Cruise at 5ft odd fighting 6ft odd guys.   

Edited by CaaC

1 hour ago, CaaC said:

Jack Reacher in the books is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest.

Tom Cruise is... Height 1.70 m, Weight 77 kg, no way in a million years could Cruise be Reacher, when I saw the first movie 'One Shot' where Recher was offered out in a car park for a fight, In the book some of the 5 guys were over 6ft tall yet there is Cruise fighting them at 5ft odd, I just pissed myself laughing, someone like Liam Neeson would have been a far better Reacher, my son though has watched both films and although he agrees with me that Cruise is not the type for a Reacher character but said he acted the part quite well, look at the Video of the fight below, Cruise at 5ft odd fighting 6ft odd guys.   

Yea, I have seen the films... That's the one where he asks if they want to pay before going outside because they won't be able to after.. 

Reading the books and then having a visual in your mind of the type of character he is makes such a difference when it comes to selecting the right type of actor... Having not read the books at all I have nothing to go on so any wrong casting in that respect does not impact on my enjoyment of the film, It would just then be a question of the quality and story line throughout... 

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Yea, I have seen the films... That's the one where he asks if they want to pay before going outside because they won't be able to after.. 

Reading the books and then having a visual in your mind of the type of character he is makes such a difference when it comes to selecting the right type of actor... Having not read the books at all I have nothing to go on so any wrong casting in that respect does not impact on my enjoyment of the film, It would just then be a question of the quality and story line throughout... 

Visual is a major thing in anyone's minds really, I saw the first James Body movie many moons ago 'Dr No' with Sean Connery and after that I started to read the books by Ian Fleming and guess what, whenever I read a James Bond book after that I pictured Connery as Bond, when other Bond movies came out after that with the likes of Roger Moore I just could not watch them.

Yet I am a book buff and like a lot of authors and one is the late but great Robert Ludlam, he created the Jason Bourne series of books and when I read them (again, many times lol) I picture Matt Damon as Bourne, weird but that is me.

Jason_Bourne_(film).jpg

1 hour ago, CaaC said:

Visual is a major thing in anyone's minds really, I saw the first James Body movie many moons ago 'Dr No' with Sean Connery and after that I started to read the books by Ian Fleming and guess what, whenever I read a James Bond book after that I pictured Connery as Bond, when other Bond movies came out after that with the likes of Roger Moore I just could not watch them.

Yet I am a book buff and like a lot of authors and one is the late but great Robert Ludlam, he created the Jason Bourne series of books and when I read them (again, many times lol) I picture Matt Damon as Bourne, weird but that is me.

Jason_Bourne_(film).jpg

That can be annoying... especially if like with Bond they have a great many book to film releases... Once you see Connery as you say that's what you come to expect there after and in many cases anything short of that is always going to be a bit of a let down... Do it the other way round and have that image of what you think the character should be after reading the books then anything not matching that actor wise is always going to be disappointing... 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm reading Heavy Duty: Days and Nights in Judas Priest - K.K. Downing's (one of the Judas Priest guitarists until the last 2 albums) autobiography.

I touched his hand at the only concert I’ve seen them play. 

Ps. Next month Def Leppard and Scorpions on the same night. Lovely. 

Edited by Toinho
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I touched his hand at the only concert I’ve seen them play. 

Ps. Next month Def Leppard and Scorpions on the same night. Lovely. 

I’ve only seen them after Downing had quit the band :( and the second time, which was a few weeks back, Glenn Tipton couldn’t take the stage because of how bad his Parkinson’s has gotten... which is even more sad

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve only seen them after Downing had quit the band :( and the second time, which was a few weeks back, Glenn Tipton couldn’t take the stage because of how bad his Parkinson’s has gotten... which is even more sad

So sad :( 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Recently finished The Darth Bane Trilogy (this should be made into movie!!!) and The Han Solo Trilogy:

DpDe6KmUwAAxnxE.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Now moving to the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn which is considered to be THE BOOK that kicked off the whole Star Wars Expanded Universe:

8607a65f15af57757d62142d09524cba.jpg

All the Star Wars stuff is audiobooks. Meanwhile, I'm reading Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men, which depicts the history of humans and their descendants, until the eighteenth and last human species (we are the first) dies out two billion years from now. A bit of a tough yet fascinating read, feels dated quite a bit in terms of science/technology and especially considering how wrong he was in predicting the events of the 20th century (the book was published in 1930s), but the imagination and the scope of future civilizations is mind blowing. Will follow it up with Star Maker.

51c-9oXEMoL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Subscriber
On 19/10/2018 at 19:49, Bluewolf said:

On 19/10/2018 at 20:17, CaaC - John said:

Tom Cruise is... Height 1.70 m, Weight 77 kg, no way in a million years could Cruise be Reacher, when I saw the first movie 'One Shot' where Reacher was offered out in a car park for a fight, In the book some of the 5 guys were over 6ft tall yet there is Cruise fighting them at 5ft odd, I just pissed myself laughing, someone like Liam Neeson would have been a far better Reacher, my son though has watched both films and although he agrees with me that Cruise is not the type for a Reacher character but said he acted the part quite well, look at the Video of the fight below, Cruise at 5ft odd fighting 6ft odd guys.   

Well @Bluewolf , Lee Childs must have taken note what all of his fans thought (including me) about Tom Cruise acting the part of Reacher in the 2 movies produced :D

Entertainment & Arts

'Too short' Tom Cruise to be replaced for Jack Reacher reboot

14 November 2018

Action hero Jack Reacher is to get a reboot for the small screen with a new actor in the lead role after creator Lee Child admitted Tom Cruise, who played him in two films, is too short.

In Child's books, Reacher is described as 6ft 5in tall with hands the size of dinner plates. Cruise is 5ft 7in.

"Cruise, for all his talent, didn't have that physicality," Child told BBC Radio Manchester's Mike Sweeney.

The author said a deal was signed last week to make a new streaming show.

Readers had complained about Cruise's suitability to play the imposing former major in the US military police since his casting was announced in 2011.

"I really enjoyed working with Cruise. He's a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun," Child told the station.

"But ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it's a big component of who he is.

"The idea is that when Reacher walks into a room, you're all a little nervous just for that first minute. And Cruise, for all his talent, didn't have that physicality.

"So what I've decided to do is - there won't be any more movies with Tom Cruise. Instead we're going to take it to Netflix or something like that. Long form streaming television, with a completely new actor.

"And I want all those readers who were upset about Tom Cruise to help me out - participate in choosing the right actor for the TV series. We're rebooting and starting over and we're going to try and find the perfect guy."

The first Jack Reacher film, directed and adapted by Christopher McQuarrie, debuted in 2012. Cruise got mostly positive reviews and it made $218m (£167m) at box offices around the world.

But the decision to abandon the film franchise and move to the small screen could have as much to do with the reception for the 2016 sequel as Cruise's stature. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back grossed $162m (£124m) and received mixed reviews.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46207601

• 4 weeks later...

Semester's over and I managed to find this badboy in the library:

29733.jpg

"Buying Time: The delayed crisis of democratic capitalism". Literally it's "Bought Time" but that doesn't match the English expression.

The author came to do a lecture at the law school at Glasgow Uni in the summer and I've been meaning to read one of his books ever since. Also been wanting to keep my German fresh, so I was very glad to find the original edition in the library.

I'm hoping I can get a few books read before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading The Secret Footballer : Access All Areas.

Dave Kitson sure doesn't like a lot of his ex managers. His bitterness that comes out in the book at times gives it away very heavily that it's him.

The most interesting thing to come out the book could be Callum O'Dowda's career development.

• Subscriber

Got the latest Lee Child - Jack Reacher book for Christmas 'Past Tense' been holding off buying this as the wife kept saying "NO...DON'T BUY IT" and I knew that was a hint that I was going to get it as a Christmas prezzy which I did from our son.

Also, our daughter bought me a WWII true story from a book called 'Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell' a true story about soldier Horace Greasley and I am looking forward to reading them both.

51ym8-EPyEL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Subscriber
On 24/12/2018 at 03:52, RandoEFC said:

Let us know what you think! Might invest in one myself.

Almost halfway through and really enjoying it so far. It's different from other biographies though - it's very honest and definitely gives a glimpse of Kimi's life but still reveals little about the person. Somehow very fitting given his image haha. Very unique writing style and some might find it hard to read (well the English translation anyways) but I personally like it a lot and would definitely recommend it.

On 23/03/2017 at 00:09, Asura said:

Must read in my opinion... I read this in my local language few years ago but glad to know that they had this in english too... hopefully its translated well without losing the content...  autobiography-of-a-yogi-book-cover

Have it and have never read it. Was the book that supposedly changed Steve Job's life and the book was passed around at his funeral. 

Currently about to be finished with this one, which has been a really enjoyable read. 

51pcmD+vWhL.jpg