talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber

The latest Lee Child - Jack Reacher novel is out called The Sentinel and as our son has bought me all his past Jack Reacher books I found out he had planned to buy me it as a Xmas present, trying to convince him being a gentle, fun-loving (cough, cough :whistling:) Liverpool supporter he can give the book to me as an early Xmas present. :D

693831640_LeeChild.png.f1bb5144e414da0a199ff596aa4016c1.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

9_9 :hh:

As said above, I managed to convince him to get me the book as an early Christmas present and his lovely Liverpudlian supporter's heart he came up trumps and just put this down beside me and said "Early Merry Christmas you old fart".  :banana:

Book.thumb.jpg.001f2c3b85cfd50986bc16b89d3f4160.jpg

Jack Reacher gets off the bus in a sleepy no-name town outside Nashville, Tennessee. He plans to grab a cup of coffee and move right along, not going to happen.

The town has been shut down by a cyber attack. At the centre of it all, whether he likes it or not, is Rusty Rutherford. he's an average IT guy, but he knows more than he thinks, as the bad guys move in on Rusty, Reacher moves in on them . . .

And now Rusty knows he's protected, he's never going to leave the big man's side.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

By the way @JoshBRFC would like those books above if they were in English. Well some probably are.

Oh look at me I’m fluent in a different language and Josh isn’t.

Cunt.

How about you teach me a few phrases over over a pint or 10 when we’re allowed ;) 

Actually tempted to start trying to learn new languages to be honest, always something that’s fascinated me. 

I’ll check it any are available in English mate cheers.. definitely topics of interest for me.

Edited by JoshBRFC

On 08/12/2020 at 19:21, JoshBRFC said:

Oh look at me I’m fluent in a different language and Josh isn’t.

Cunt.

How about you teach me a few phrases over over a pint or 10 when we’re allowed ;) 

Actually tempted to start trying to learn new languages to be honest, always something that’s fascinated me. 

I’ll check it any are available in English mate cheers.. definitely topics of interest for me.

The 2 about the Cali Cartel and Medellín cartel are very interesting. The amount of blood shed is ruthless though. 

Also involved football as well as the Orejuela brothers from the Cali Cartel owned America de Cali.

They were actually huge but don't gain as much attention as Pablo Escobar, although they were the ones who opened up routes into Europe. Interesting reading about the links to gangs in Liverpool aswell, who facilitated the coke entering the ports.

What's interesting as well is that the Medellín cartel used to export cocaine paste from Peru and Ecuador(rather than cultivate in Colombia) and then convert it into white power in Colombia before it went off to the USA.

The violence though, jesus. More a civil war than a gang war. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris

On 08/12/2020 at 15:58, Carnivore Chris said:

These are an interesting read these 2@Berserker 

Also bought this as an e book on Kindle:-

51we8og69qL.jpg

I've still got around 4 other books to read as well though. These:-

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQka1C3sVbTlfGys_p1fia

512hqKRpswL.jpg

81Gw6rve+IL.jpg

51xgsLHihGL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Awesome collection Chris, not much of a book reader myself (haven't got the patience) but i have seen a TV series named El Patron Del Mal which is about the Medellin cartel, it's pretty good, you should give it a watch too, i'm gonna rewatch it from the start when i can as i catched midway i think, definitely recommend it.

19 hours ago, Berserker said:

Awesome collection Chris, not much of a book reader myself (haven't got the patience) but i have seen a TV series named El Patron Del Mal which is about the Medellin cartel, it's pretty good, you should give it a watch too, i'm gonna rewatch it from the start when i can as i catched midway i think, definitely recommend it.

Yeah mate, I started watching it and never got through it years ago so I'm going to start watching that properly soon. It's 75 episodes though. 

Seems much more closer to the truth than Narcos as well and the actor is more convincing. 

On 11/12/2020 at 19:16, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah mate, I started watching it and never got through it years ago so I'm going to start watching that properly soon. It's 75 episodes though. 

Seems much more closer to the truth than Narcos as well and the actor is more convincing. 

It's worth it trust me. Yeah, seems pretty accurate. I finished lost in less than 2 months and it's like 120 ep, when it's fun time just flies.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Second. Picked it up when I was travelling. The first one is Norwegian Wood.

Nice... The reason I asked, Dance Dance Dance was my first book of his as I got it as a birthday present years ago; didn't realise it was a sequel to The Wild Sheep Chase so was a bit confused at times, but I loved it. If you enjoy it, I'd highly recommend Kafka on the Shore. My most favourite Murakami novel, and also one of my favourite books ever... 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, nudge said:

Nice... The reason I asked, Dance Dance Dance was my first book of his as I got it as a birthday present years ago; didn't realise it was a sequel to The Wild Sheep Chase so was a bit confused at times, but I loved it. If you enjoy it, I'd highly recommend Kafka on the Shore. My most favourite Murakami novel, and also one of my favourite books ever... 

The Wild Sheep Chase is actually my next book and for the same exact reason you mentioned. I just picked up Dance Dance Dance as I was travelling but I do plan on reading the sequel too. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 21/12/2020 at 13:24, Mel81x said:

The Wild Sheep Chase is actually my next book and for the same exact reason you mentioned. I just picked up Dance Dance Dance as I was travelling but I do plan on reading the sequel too. 

I bought all three tomes of 1Q84 today... That will be my next one after I finish the Wernher von Braun biography. Thanks for bringing me back to Murakami's world  :D 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, nudge said:

I bought all three tomes of 1Q84 today... That will be my next one after I finish the Wernher von Braun biography. Thanks for bringing me back to Murakami's world  :D 

Just finished DDD and I bought The Wild Sheep Chase now so that's next on the reading post Xmas.

• Subscriber

Finished the Von Braun: Dreamer of Space, Engineer of War by Michael Neufeld yesterday. A very solid and fascinating read - well balanced, meticulous, with a lot of technical and engineering details documenting not only Von Braun's life, but also part of the history of USA's space programme. Went through some 700 pages in just a couple of days, although I'm not someone who likes reading biographies, normally.

Now reading:

77507._SY475_.jpg

First book in Robinson's Mars trilogy that chronicles the colonisation and terraforming of Mars, spanning almost two centuries.

• Subscriber

A new John Grisham novel just bought in Tesco's Camino Winds (2020) for my bedtime read.

1221680259_download(3).png.c4e9af463bfe417424ea469a2c7bf0a2.png

“In American icon, John Grisham’s new novel, Camino Winds, an odd assortment of mystery and crime authors, some of them felons themselves, discover one of their colleagues has been murdered during the fury of a massive hurricane—the perfect crime scene..."

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Finished Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars, and have now moved on to the Green Mars, the second book in the trilogy:

7265307-L.jpg

Also started Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants by John Drury Clark:

51TLZAlJYqL.jpg

and also doing a refresher on Siddhartha Mukherjee's The Gene: An Intimate History:

41m0KlYn5lL.jpg