talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just been looking at all my book collection and found this beauty buried under a pile of books in a drawer, I picked this up in a charity shop about 10 years ago, a Robert Burns address book but it also has a Chronology of the great Scottish poet plus a lot of his poems, will have to read this again tonight in bed.

thumbnail_20210506_132719.thumb.jpg.79034739403663736cdc6a564c8b638d.jpg

thumbnail_20210506_132948.thumb.jpg.37ef31bce915e5fb150411923ecfab48.jpg

thumbnail_20210506_132802.thumb.jpg.6f4861a054e70cd96cab7e0bdad12866.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 07/05/2021 at 19:28, nudge said:

91Bd7P8UwxL.jpg

Andy Weir's latest book, Project Hail Mary - just got it, can't wait to start reading it tonight! ^_^

Halfway through it - what a fantastic read! Highly recommended. 

• Subscriber

Just waiting for my book to arrive from Amazon 'Pop Goes the Weasel' by M J Aldridge so I grabbed the first Lee Child - Jack Reacher novel 'Killing Floor' from his collection in my room and that will do me for now.

download.png.fdc73de0acbfd8cb1995cd2b887fd7bc.png

Shortly after Reacher arrives in the sleepy town of Margrave, Georgia he’s arrested for murder. The next three days’ events leave everyone stunned.

On 13/04/2021 at 09:52, nudge said:

That's actually a misconception - people who built the pyramids weren't slaves, they were Egyptian workers (thought to be recruited farmers) who were paid and treated very well. There were entire "villages" purpose-built for those workers nearby the construction sites, they slept in long dormitories and were fed abundant amounts of bread and best cuts of meat, drank beer, their injuries were attended to by medical professionals, and if they died, they were burried respectfully and their tombs contained everything that was thought as needed for a good afterlife. Some of the manpower came from the system called Corvee, where those who couldn't pay their annual taxes were required to travel and work for the state for a specific period of time once a year, when harvesting in the fields wasn't being done.

Wasn't beer invented for the pyramid workers?

Hands down one of the most important inventions of all time.

I just started reading "Squeeze Me" by Carl Hiassen yesterday because I've heard it's a very good book, and I read "Bad Monkey" (another of his books) a while back and I enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wasn't beer invented for the pyramid workers?

Hands down one of the most important inventions of all time.

I just started reading "Squeeze Me" by Carl Hiassen yesterday because I've heard it's a very good book, and I read "Bad Monkey" (another of his books) a while back and I enjoyed it.

Probably not invented for the pyramid workers as there's evidence of beer being fermented way earlier (potentially all the way back to the hunter-gatherer tribes), but the pyramid workers in Egypt indeed got daily rations of beer - plenty of it! 

And yes, I agree, it is one of the most important inventions of all time. It pretty much built civilisation. One of my favourite articles ever: https://nautil.us/issue/8/home/beer-domesticated-man :D 

20 minutes ago, nudge said:

Probably not invented for the pyramid workers as there's evidence of beer being fermented way earlier (potentially all the way back to the hunter-gatherer tribes), but the pyramid workers in Egypt indeed got daily rations of beer - plenty of it! 

And yes, I agree, it is one of the most important inventions of all time. It pretty much built civilisation. One of my favourite articles ever: https://nautil.us/issue/8/home/beer-domesticated-man :D 

I went to a museum exhibition once about "the history of beer" and they claimed Egypt had invented it - but now I'm going to take some of the info I learned at that exhibition with a handful of salt given that there's evidence of beer fermentation earlier.

With the knowledge that beer led to humanity settling down from hunter-gathering... I'd like to think that the first buildings ever made were the first bars xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Decided to put Mass Effect on hold until I finish the first game (some time in the future).

Felt like reading some Murakami again, so started with the first volume of 1Q84... 

9780099578079.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Dug these out from my book collection for the next read, again, after finishing my 'Pop Goes The Weasel, saw the series 'Band of Brothers' and these 3 books are top draw and D-Day was the best out of the 3 portrayed in the series.

@ASF & @Viva la FCB mentioned the series here in the Famous or Highly-Rated Series You've Not Watched? thread and you guys if you have not read them then you are missing a great read.

thumbnail_20210625_163754.thumb.jpg.f7915f038b2f08287a26dda231cbc03e.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Thought Artemis was decent.

If you get a chance, read Weir's latest novel afterwards. Absolutely amazing.

Yeah - I'm very excited about it, and somewhat ashamed I haven't already read Artemis, but my goal is to read it this week, and follow it up with Weir's 3rd novel next week.

• Upvote 1

Finished "The Quiet American" last weekend. I listened to a series of podcast about South Vietnam´s president Diem and then I wanted to read a novel about Vietnam. Loved it, great book.  

51eEzKU2BTL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I´m now reading "The Secret Agent", by Joseph Conrad: 

41PqG0+4BEL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

I'm hooked on Perry Rhodan at the moment, but also started this:

9780393330915_300.jpeg

I started #1, but my German Space vocabulary (or lack of it) is making is take longer than expected. xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I started #1, but my German Space vocabulary (or lack of it) is making is take longer than expected. xD

I'm finishing #6 just now... And yeah, I can imagine that all the spaceflight and (pseudo)scientific terminology can get a bit tricky xD