talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

51eDRh7KNGL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In amongst uni reading I'm getting through this in bits and pieces. Quite a good, easy read on a time and place where I've only got a rough idea of the history.

It's getting to that point in the year where my coursework totally knocks me out of my urge to read for leisure, but I've got these lined up in my Amazon cart for whenever things quiet down. 

51Yf3R5GQhL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

cover.jpg

Edited by Inverted

• 3 weeks later...

Despite putting off any serious new book buying until after the semester, I saw this in a charity shop for £2 last weekend and I'm now close to finishing it.

2442622.jpg

I went for it since I knew the author was quite well regarded in the area and it's a short read at about 160 pages. I'm surprised how much she crams into it - I was totally unaware of the period right after the revolution but she fits in a lot of detail in a brief and really readable narrative. 

I've now realised it's easy to find a PDF of it online so I guess I wasted £2 in hindsight xD

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the Sir Alex Ferguson audiobook ‘My Life’ earlier today. Liked it, some really good stories in there and a good look into the mind and thought process of the greatest manager of our time in the Premier League. 

Might go for the Sam Allardyce audiobook now. I’ve never been a great fan of his, so this might be a chance to change that viewpoint. And if it’s crap, it’s cost me nothing. 

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Glad you liked it mate. Even if you're not a Manchester United fan it's a class read. 

The story about Owen Hargreaves sticks out when I think back to reading it. He comes across as a right diva.

Yeah, I couldn’t agree more. I’d say a must read for anyone who’s grown up with the Premier League and the dominance United had. 

Some interesting stories I never knew about in there. I never expected that about Hargreaves but he doesn’t comes well at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 13:32, Smiley Culture said:

Finished the Sir Alex Ferguson audiobook ‘My Life’ earlier today. Liked it, some really good stories in there and a good look into the mind and thought process of the greatest manager of our time in the Premier League. 

Might go for the Sam Allardyce audiobook now. I’ve never been a great fan of his, so this might be a chance to change that viewpoint. And if it’s crap, it’s cost me nothing. 

Nope, Allardyce is antiquated, arrogant and quite a bitter man. 

I’ve binned off the last two chapters altogether after he finished the chapter on his time at West Ham with a chapter where he literally just rants about Football. It was like listening to a bloke in a pub. He’s got a “it was much better in my day” mentality about him and sees nothing wrong with how life and subsequently, Football, has evolved. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished listening to the audiobook of ‘Moneyball’. 

Liked it. It was difficult at times because of my lack of knowledge of Baseball but still an interesting insight into how the game of Baseball and subsequently now Sport as a whole was changed by a few people. 

Just bought the Johan Cruyff audiobook. 

Posted it too soon before seeing this but I'm reading Juventus: A History in Black and White. I don't often enjoy reading but I love me a bit of football history. I am hooked.

• 4 weeks later...

9781844676071-frontcover-43307567df7922b

Found this collection of some of Marx's writings, mostly from when he was working as a journalist in America. It's quite interesting to read his contemporary analysis of things like British expansion in India, or the American Civil War, where he's discussing concrete events and his views on their wider historical meaning, as opposed to just laying out theories. 

For example it's quite surprising to see how much he admired Abraham Lincoln, despite Lincoln's politics being quite different from his. 

Edited by Inverted

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 16:31, Dr. Gonzo said:

bookcover.jpg

What in the world is that about? I have been studying Islam so I'm somewhat curious, and more so scared of what they has to offer xD

I've been on a huge Biography push here recently. Currently reading - 

81VStYnDGrL.jpg

Anybody have any other recommendations for good biographies? 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 05:23, Eco said:

What in the world is that about? I have been studying Islam so I'm somewhat curious, and more so scared of what they has to offer xD

It's a pretty interesting book about the impact Western music - particularly metal, punk and reggae has had on the Middle East. And how fans of that music are in some cases enjoying that music as a form of protest against the governments they live in (because the music is illegal - it's a fairly old book, so it doesn't cover things like the Iranian death metal band that was sentenced to death); and about how everything in the region has at least a tinge of politics to it and how our music has taken on political representations there.

It's also interesting at showing a different side of the Middle East to what you see on TV or read about in the news - because the author isn't just a history professor at some school somewhere in the US, but he's also a Grammy winning musician. And his book is sort of about his travels in the region, staying with other musicians, fans of these western genres of music, and music critics.

• Subscriber
On 5/31/2018 at 19:23, Eco said:

Anybody have any other recommendations for good biographies? 

Does memoirs/autobiography count?

Cash, the autobiography of Johnny Cash is one of my all-time favourites.
I also loved Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, one of the best ones I've ever read.
Really enjoyed Alan Alda's Never Have Your Dog Stuffed, but I highly recommend it as an audiobook narrated by Alda himself, that works better than reading the book!
How to Build a Car by Adrian Newey - absolutely brilliant, even if you're not a fan of racing.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Does memoirs/autobiography count?

Cash, the autobiography of Johnny Cash is one of my all-time favourites.
I also loved Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, one of the best ones I've ever read.
Really enjoyed Alan Alda's Never Have Your Dog Stuffed, but I highly recommend it as an audiobook narrated by Alda himself, that works better than reading the book!
How to Build a Car by Adrian Newey - absolutely brilliant, even if you're not a fan of racing.

Thanks Inga. All are added to my list. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Thanks Inga. All are added to my list. 

No problem, hope you enjoy them :)

Actually the very first biography that I read was the one of Giuseppe Garibaldi, and I thought it was incredible, but I think I was more fascinated with the person than the book, haha...

• Upvote 1

On 13/06/2018 at 02:26, Smiley Culture said:

Just finished “Leading” by Sir Alex Ferguson. I could listen to that man talk Football management all day. Such a legend. 

Now on Roy Keane “The Second Half”. 

How many books has he released and which number is that?