talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Funniest TV Series

football forum

Looking for something funny to watch.

Recently just watched The Office (UK) which was hilarious, rate it very highly. My other favourites include Only Fools, Inbetweeners, and An Idiot Abroad.

Those above are some that come to my mind at the moment, what are your favourites?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Inbetweeners series 1 was my first thought after seeing the title. Then Only Fools.

Fawlty Towers is a big fave.

Did anyone else watch Him & Her? Really enjoyed that. Not saying it was the best but certainly entertaining. 

Then you have the normal, popular American sitcoms - Friends, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, Brooklyn Nine Nine. Used to watch Big Bang Theory but got bored of that quickly. 

The first season of Arrested Development is amazing. Season 2 and 3, however, got too weird and wacky for my taste. 

Mighty Boosh is to an acquired taste, but Howard Moon and Vince Noir are an amazing double-act. It might be seen from the outside as drug-fueled surrealism, but don’t judge a book by its cover: there are actually some really clever jokes in there. 

If you want to go even weirder than Boosh though, then try Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace. The amount of effort that went into making that show look low-budget, cruddy and ‘eighties’ is brilliant; so loads of visual gags and worth repeat watches to catch all the stuff you might have missed the first time around. Richard Ayoade playing Dean Lerner playing Thornton Reed steals every scene. 

Flight of the Conchords is good, if you don’t mind songs (some of them are really catchy – you’ll be humming them for weeks!). 

If you liked The Office, try Extras. While not as funny as The Office, it has more toe-curling cringe moments, so if you enjoyed the whole Brent-putting-his-foot-in-mouth moments, Extras is a natural precursor. Similarly, if you enjoy the cringe factor, then definitely watch Peep Show. The contrasting inner monologues of Jeremy and Mark are quite the unique selling point. Plus, Big Suze. Gorgeous.

Finally, while not a TV show, the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts are hilarious. They follow Gervais, Steve Merchant and Karl just chatting shit and basically poking Karl into saying foolish, naive stuff. It goes back to the early 2000s I think, back when the three of them were doing some DJ work on XFM radio. 

Personally, I don’t think anything can top the UK Office (not really seen much of the US one). It is, to my taste of humour, comedy perfection.

• Subscriber

I found Bojack Horseman on Netflix very good, though I don't know if it's just because I have weird taste. It's a cartoon, dark/adult humour, some existential stuff in there and a general piss take of Hollywood and celebrity culture. The first few episodes aren't the best but it picks up after that.

• 2 years later...

Archived