• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

football forum

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Why? Genuinely curious why it surprises you. 

Because after nearly thirty years of getting shovelled shit people come back for more. The original trilogy are good family movies, but grown adults seem to be the main consumer of it all. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Because after nearly thirty years of getting shovelled shit people come back for more. The original trilogy are good family movies, but grown adults seem to be the main consumer of it all. 

In general, I'd say it appeals to a very wide audience because it's a classic good vs evil story with all the archetypical characters transformed and woven into this unique, massive universe with hundreds of species, planets, and its own mythology, which also is a mashup of several genres and covers very universal human themes and emotions that different people of different ages and different cultures can easily relate too. You could ask a 100 people why they like Star Wars, and you'll probably get almost as many different answers.

Personally, I also disagree about getting shovelled shit for nearly 30 years. Rogue One, Solo, The Clone Wars, Rebels, The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett all range from good to fantastic, imo. There have also been countless amazing novels throughout the years; for me, it's actually one of the best parts that the franchise has to offer in terms of depth and exploration of the  universe.

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

In general, I'd say it appeals to a very wide audience because it's a classic good vs evil story with all the archetypical characters transformed and woven into this unique, massive universe with hundreds of species, planets, and its own mythology, which also is a mashup of several genres and covers very universal human themes and emotions that different people of different ages and different cultures can easily relate too. You could ask a 100 people why they like Star Wars, and you'll probably get almost as many different answers.

Personally, I also disagree about getting shovelled shit for nearly 30 years. Rogue One, Solo, The Clone Wars, Rebels, The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett all range from good to fantastic, imo. There have also been countless amazing novels throughout the years; for me, it's actually one of the best parts that the franchise has to offer in terms of depth and exploration of the  universe.

I think you could give 100 reasons but everyone else would only have one, ‘I liked it when I was 9’. I used to really, really like Star Wars but the franchise itself made sure I never would again. The last thing I watched was ‘Rogue One’ and all I could think was ‘Why should I care about these thirty new characters when they will be dead in 39 minutes?’, a 5/10 emotionally dishonest movie that was still about a dozen tomes better than 7,8,9.

And I can’t watch the untainted originals without finding an illegal copy. I hate Star Wars.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I think you could give 100 reasons but everyone else would only have one, ‘I liked it when I was 9’. I used to really, really like Star Wars but the franchise itself made sure I never would again. The last thing I watched was ‘Rogue One’ and all I could think was ‘Why should I care about these thirty new characters when they will be dead in 39 minutes?’, a 5/10 emotionally dishonest movie that was still about a dozen tomes better than 7,8,9.

And I can’t watch the untainted originals without finding an illegal copy. I hate Star Wars.

I think you're wrong to assume that. I'm sure there are many people who watch it because of nostalgia factor alone, but there are also plenty of others who like it for many different reasons; it simply means different things for different people. Fair enough if you don't like it anymore; but I don't think it's that hard to understand why it still appeals to so many others!

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think you're wrong to assume that. I'm sure there are many people who watch it because of nostalgia factor alone, but there are also plenty of others who like it for many different reasons; it simply means different things for different people. Fair enough if you don't like it anymore; but I don't think it's that hard to understand why it still appeals to so many others!

I think most people consume based on brand recognition, and this is a big brand.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think most people consume based on brand recognition, and this is a big brand.

It helps with marketing and attracting general interest and new viewers, that's for sure. But I also think that most people who try something because of brand recognition but end up not liking it won't keep spending their money for years to watch something they don't enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

First two episodes released tomorrow, 8am UK time.

Actually pretty gutted I won't be able to watch till Sunday so that'll be me giving Twitter a wide berth.

No spoilers please guys but at the same time, enjoy! 😅

• Subscriber

It's even better than I expected it to be... Truly incredible.

Vivien Lyra Blair as the young Princess Leia is absolutely fantastic, and just nails her role. The mannerisms, the way of speaking, the sass, it's just perfect. Ewan McGregor of course does an incredible job as usual, and his potrayal of Obi-Wan at this particularl time is spotless; his reaction to learning that Anakin survived was great great acting. But for me, young Leia steals the show so far!

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's even better than I expected it to be... Truly incredible.

Reveal hidden contents

Whoa, when I first clicked on this, it showed what was written within the spoiler tags. It took like a second for it to disappear. I still read a few words. 😅

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Whoa, when I first clicked on this, it showed what was written within the spoiler tags. It took like a second for it to disappear. I still read a few words. 😅

Not that many spoilers in there, thankfully 😅 Only comments on some acting performances :) 

Incredible. Princess Leia story arc is such a brilliant concept I don't think many of us expected. The ending with Ewan McGregor finding out Anakin was still alive was fantastic, and the little Darth Vader cameo was directed to perfection. (watched it like 10 times 😂) Amazing.

Just watched both episodes. 

You know, I loved the prequels despite whatever critisism they got. They felt like proper Star Wars unlike some of the other stuff that came out later. So after all that, I was skeptical if the Obi-Wan Kenobi series could take me back to that feeling that I had while being crazy about those prequels. And they did indeed. The recap at the start of Episode 1 already brought back so many feelings. And then Obi-Wan having flashbacks in his dreams about Anakin, Padme etc. it was amazing. Ewan McGregor really got back into that role, and it truly felt like he's Obi-Wan again. 

And then we expected Luke but got Leia instead. That young kid is such a great actress for her age! And we got Joel Edgerton reprising his role of Uncle Owen again, and Jimmy Smits as Senator Organa. It was just such a great experience for us or me as the generation that experienced the Prequels so vividly. 

And then that scene where Obi-Wan learned that Anakin is alive. Just wow. I went in with low-ish but excited expectations and I was just blown away.

Edit: Wow, I just spent like 10 minutes trying to get my emotions into words, and it turned out truly disappointing when I re-read it. 🤔

Archived