• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

football forum

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The shitty ending is exactly why this show shouldn't have happened. 

Obi wan vs Vader between the prequals and the main story. "Damn I wonder if either of the will die?" 

it's a surprise or maybe they will retcon it like Palpatine lol

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Rick said:

The biggest plot hole which cannot be explained away with flimsy explanations is Leia not knowing Obi Wan personally in A New Hope. This series has made that look very silly, and they didn’t need to put Leia in the show for that exact reason. In ANH Leia does talk of knowing of Obi-Wan but it’s obvious that they have never met. Very weird to try and explain that one away. 

Is this the assumption because of how her message to Obi-Wan in ANH was worded? I thought it actually was pretty clever how they solved it, tbh. Leia's relaying the main message from her father when she says "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire" and then adds her subtle, personal, emotionally loaded note with "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope". As @Cicero said, Obi-Wan also explicitly told her to keep their relationship secret ("Maybe, someday. If you ever need help from a tired old man. But we must be careful. No one must know, or it could endanger us both.").

For me, this show actually explained why Obi-Wan would be Leia's "last hope", and especially why she was visibly excited when Luke told her that "Ben Kenobi" was there when they freed her from her cell on the Death Star, and how she knew who "Ben" was ("Ben Kenobi? Where is he???").

What changes in the starwars universe between the beginning of the show and end? Nothing. It's a shitty story that didn't need to be told. 

Also, between wanda and this Reya chick, why is hollywood giving women the green light to do awful, awful things and be forgiven at the end with no consequence? 

• Subscriber

Finished it and I think Disney needs to take two years and a nice break before it touches a prime Star Wars character ever again. I get the point of S1 of this show, its to show us how Obi-Wan gets his powers back to full tilt and the internal struggle that he goes under as he watches everything he ran away from come back to haunt him. But, instead, we get a weird inter-galactic runaround show that at times I honestly felt was more Disney than Lucas-like.

• Kenobi was good in a lot of ways and his slow progression to finally becoming what he was is quite good. The only problem is that in such a short space you never really see him find out what he has to do to get his mojo back and I feel that the reason for that is my next point.
  • Reva. This is why Disney needs to take 2 yrs and even then I feel like they'd fuck up the side-act of the main antagonist. They always seem to write these terribly weak aux roles and I find it odd considering you once had a Sith who said fuck all and imo is the best apprentice of the whole lot (Darth Maul if you're wondering).
    • Waxed a Jedi-Master, took a wrong step and then Kenobi waxes him. That revolving door scene imo was one of the best in the entire Star Wars universe and nothing comes even close to it in terms of dealing with hurt and having to get your act together quick.
    • Her redemption arc is also terribly confusing and I feel like Vader should have chopped her head off but I get why he didn't. Disney told him we need her for another season where we're going to turn her into a strong Jedi convert. 
  • Leia reminds of that kid from Stranger Things (the younger sister who is unnecessarily obnoxious). This has Disney sauce all over it. Her only saving grace is there are far more annoying characters in the universe that you just wonder when she's going to get off screen so the story can progress.

Other than that its quite nice that they finally took someone that required more screen time to explain what they were doing in between Ep3 and 4. 

P.S. It sounds like I didn't like it but I did quite enjoy watching the show even if it was a bit short.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Also finished and found it fairly mediocre overall.

I actually liked Leia and found her fairly adorable but they seemed to ride that as far as they could... kenobi himself I think was fine. The character and the arc of him getting his powers back was fine. As others have mentioned the side charaters where all just kind of whatever, fairly forgetable. The best scenes of the show basically all involved Vader for my money. Worth watching but idk nothing special, the weakest of the offerings so far I feel.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Also finished and found it fairly mediocre overall.

I actually liked Leia and found her fairly adorable but they seemed to ride that as far as they could... kenobi himself I think was fine. The character and the arc of him getting his powers back was fine. As others have mentioned the side charaters where all just kind of whatever, fairly forgetable. The best scenes of the show basically all involved Vader for my money. Worth watching but idk nothing special, the weakest of the offerings so far I feel.

For me, it's Andor and The Mandalorian in the top tier, and Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi in the lower one. I enjoyed the latter two as well, but also found them a bit too forgettable? 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

For me, it's Andor and The Mandalorian in the top tier, and Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi in the lower one.

Agreed, Andor is much darker and more serious where as the Mandalorian does have some light humour in it along the way but both are excellent... but like you I enjoyed Boba Fett and Kenobi as well but for different reasons... both had high and low points

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, nudge said:

For me, it's Andor and The Mandalorian in the top tier, and Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi in the lower one. I enjoyed the latter two as well, but also found them a bit too forgettable? 

I cant comment on Andor yet but Ill start watching when its finished.. Im keeping up with LOTR once a week and thats enough for the weekly releases for now :D

Yeah I agree. I couldnt help but have in the back of my mind while watching both of them is how Mando was the benchmark still. I liked alot of Boba Fett but the mushy middle to some degree keeps it in with Kenobi in that second tier as you say. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I cant comment on Andor yet but Ill start watching when its finished.. Im keeping up with LOTR once a week and thats enough for the weekly releases for now :D

Yeah I agree. I couldnt help but have in the back of my mind while watching both of them is how Mando was the benchmark still. I liked alot of Boba Fett but the mushy middle to some degree keeps it in with Kenobi in that second tier as you say. 

I think for me, Andor is even slightly better than The Mandalorian, but as @Bluewolf mentioned, they are very different in nature and both are excellent! I think you will love Andor...

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

It's Star Wars for adults... 

Nice to hear from you mate, hope all is going well?? 

It was Inga that put it on my radar (not a euphemism!) and it really is, plus it has Fiona Shaw in it, she's as legit as actresses go. 

Cheers dude, I'm still alive despite my children's best endeavours! 😂 

How's tricks with you, you built anymore sheds recently? 

1 minute ago, Batard said:

It was Inga that put it on my radar (not a euphemism!) and it really is, plus it has Fiona Shaw in it, she's as legit as actresses go. 

Cheers dude, I'm still alive despite my children's best endeavours! 😂 

How's tricks with you, you built anymore sheds recently? 

xD

No sheds but been busy with the garden and now doing stuff in the loft... glad to hear all is well

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

xD

No sheds but been busy with the garden and now doing stuff in the loft... glad to hear all is well

For some reason I imagine you designing sheds in your loft and your wife shouting up at you "You better not be up there measuring planks of wood for what is essentially a container with windows and doors for our lawn mower!"

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Batard said:

Andor is definitely better than Mando, it doesn't mean the latter is shit, it's just Andor is propahh drama, not just sci-fi

Did you finally manage to watch all four episodes without falling asleep? :ph34r:

Archived