23/01/2020 - Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle

Recent Form
Newcastle - WWDLD
Aston Villa - DWDLL

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Trippier likely out and Targett ineligible so big blow for the defence. Hope to see Dan Burn and Bruno start.

trippier is a blow but maybe just precautionary.   Targett to but at least it is only one game it may be that Burn plays LB and Manqillo plays RB

I would say that's the first time this season watching Newcastle where you felt they could actually see out the lead. 

I know they got fortunate with the VAR but in the main, I don't think Villa really had them under the cosh enough to make them wobble. 

They genuinely looked a bit more of a calmness in the team.

Villa were poor. Didn't really see anything much of Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsey which tells you all you need to know.

40 minutes ago, DNA said:

Wonder why he’s only being brought on for the final few seconds of the last 2 games, seems odd.

Not sure what Howe is playing at,  unless it is a "settling" in thing but there are times in both games this week where we needed a guy to keep possession and play balls behind the lines and Bruno is that type of guy. 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I would say that's the first time this season watching Newcastle where you felt they could actually see out the lead. 

I know they got fortunate with the VAR but in the main, I don't think Villa really had them under the cosh enough to make them wobble. 

The gennuinely looked a bit more of a calmness in the team.

Villa were poor. Didn't really see anything much of Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsey which tells you all you need to know.

Its work in progress so far. 

17 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

Aston Villa could be in real trouble here, don't know where the next points are coming from, etc etc.

/s

They probably do only need 3, maybe even just 2 more wins, to be safe. And I'm not sure if Gerrard needs to finish at a particular spot this season. But finishing with momentum would be good for image, recruitment & retention.

Watford at Villa Park next would be a good time to win again.

8 scheduled games after that against 7 current top half sides & Leicester. Then 3 against bottom half sides. Likely finish seeing Man City crowned at the Etihad.

As always seems the case with Villa of the last few seasons, it does feel like things could go either direction, fairly dramatically.

• The title was changed to Newcastle 1-0 Aston Villa - Sunday 13th February, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned
4 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

They probably do only need 3, maybe even just 2 more wins, to be safe. And I'm not sure if Gerrard needs to finish at a particular spot this season. But finishing with momentum would be good for image, recruitment & retention.

Watford at Villa Park next would be a good time to win again.

8 scheduled games after that against 7 current top half sides & Leicester. Then 3 against bottom half sides. Likely finish seeing Man City crowned at the Etihad.

As always seems the case with Villa of the last few seasons, it does feel like things could go either direction, fairly dramatically.

agreed, there is no chance of any of the bottom 3 getting to 30 points.   none of them can score and they concede nearly 3 a game

14 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Trippier injury a big blow. He's been superb for us. The leadership he has brought has been class. Thought we struggled once he went off.

The team are growing well. Let's hope it continues.

I also think Trippier has been different class since arriving, good that you bought others too so they should keep the progressive vibe moving forward. 

17 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Trippier injury a big blow. He's been superb for us. The leadership he has brought has been class. Thought we struggled once he went off.

The team are growing well. Let's hope it continues.

It was made worse by Manqy getting hurt as well,  the good thing is Targett returns next game and if Manqy is okay we should be alright.   Krafth is the guy that fills in everywhere but nowhere well. 

Archived