talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is Gary Cahill Being Carried At Chelsea?

“I felt sorry for him [Butland] having to play behind a player like Gary Cahill, one of the worst defenders I’ve seen in one-v-one situations,” the Potters legend said, as reported by Goal.

“He gets so easily exposed and it was him, as much as David Luiz, who needed the protection of a three-man defence in that Chelsea rearguard last season.

“Chelsea boss Antonio Conte deserves a medal – possibly Cahill’s title-winning medal – for spotting so quickly that Luiz and Cahill needed such protection.”

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carried? Hardly, he is not World Class but a hard working defender that always gives his 110%. This system benefits his qualities but people that are making him look like shit probably never seen a Chelsea game in their lives.

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

A Taekwondo champion who played for stoke in the 70s :ph34r:

9638845-large-1.jpg

He's won me over 

You needed some form of Martial Arts defence in them days when playing... what you lacked in skill on the ball you made up for in mental and physical toughness.

That was when the game was for REAL men and not the Impuissant handbag warriors that are out there now

26 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He's also a defender that scores goals, in big games too. 

Hard to come by! 

As usual he gets much shit because he's not from this country and his name isn't fancy. 

Learned from the best ala Terry. 

Still, I can't find much wrong with what he stated. Cahill is so frustrating defensively and against France he exposed his liabilities yet again as a centre back 

8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You needed some form of Martial Arts defence in them days when playing... what you lacked in skill on the ball you made up for in mental and physical toughness.

That was when the game was for REAL men and not the Impuissant handbag warriors that are out there now

The aggressiveness of the 70s was just over compensating because of the girly hair styles :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Learned from the best ala Terry. 

Still, I can't find much wrong with what he stated. Cahill is so frustrating defensively and against France he exposed his liabilities yet again as a centre back 

Nope. If he was from Brazil and was called Cahillatinho he'd be lorded uncontrollably.

Hes English so he's shite! 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Nope. If he was from Brazil and was called Cahillatinho he'd be lorded uncontrollably.

Hes English so he's shite! 

Because Luiz wasn't ever criticised in this country before. Right.  

Honestly, the goals he scores shouldn't hinder the fact he is a liability defensively. Took a partnership with Terry and Conte to implement a 3 at the back to get the best out of him. 

England were all over the place defensively that game, as a unit and as a team the defence wasn't there, people then single out defenders when football isn't as simplistic as that. Eric Dier and Ox were far worse,  Eric Dier (a player who I rated the season before last) was dreadful in that game, he made Matic look like a God. England's defenders were constantly up against one on one situations which any defender would struggle with given the quality France had.

Mike Pejic isn't wrong though but I think people are starting to do Cahill a disservice, he's a good centre back and still the best England have currently however he's nowhere near the quality of some of the top level defenders both Chelsea and England have had in recent years.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Because Luiz wasn't ever criticised in this country before. Right.  

Honestly, the goals he scores shouldn't hinder the fact he is a liability defensively. Took a partnership with Terry and Conte to implement a 3 at the back to get the best out of him. 

A liability in a defence that just won the league and had one of the best defensive records across Europe? 

I'm not saying he's one of the world best CB's but a liability? Give over 

2 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Would get found out a lot more in a back four system. Not a terrible player but it helps when Luiz and Azpi have seasons like they did and you're next to them. 

A lot of players don't excell in a back four. He's been excellent though in a system that the clubs manager has employed. 

Hes defended well and has come up with match winning goals. 

What more would you want? 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

A lot of players don't excell in a back four. He's been excellent though in a system that the clubs manager has employed. 

Hes defended well and has come up with match winning goals. 

What more would you want? 

A better player. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

A liability in a defence that just won the league and had one of the best defensive records across Europe? 

I'm not saying he's one of the world best CB's but a liability? Give over 

Because you're in a position to tell me the true level of quality our players are really at. 

His main problem, which is a major one, is that he backs away from attackers in a one v one scenario. That isn't a player you trust to hold the back line. Our new formation brought the best out of our defenders considering this reduces the risk of Cahill being caught in a one v one situation. Issue with England is that he doesn't have the protection he has with us. Dembele tore his arse apart, I shed in fear to think what the Neymar's, Ronaldo's Messi's and Suarez's will do to him,  

Funny how no one seems to mention how utterly gash he was at the start of the season before Conte tweaked the formation. 

13 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Those four tear arseholes in the worlds best to be fair.

If Ousmane Dembele made him look like a Sunday league defender, a lot more than just a torn arsehole would be left behind against them 

I do think he is protected by the system at Chelsea, hats off to Conte for that, and by playing besides and behind better players at Chelsea.  However, he is not carried, that would imply he is a liability at Chelsea and he certainly is not that.

To me this asks more questions about England than it does about Cahill.  If we say Cahill is a good CB and the best one England has, what has happened to all the great CB'S that England used to produce on a regular basis?

Also why can't we produce holding midfielders who can protect the defence?  If the best holding midfielders England has are Dier, Henderson and Wilshere, maybe CB's are not England's biggest worry.

Archived