talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

So are we on the brink of world war 3? 

It depends if NATO gets involved militarily.

Right now the West will probably be targeting Russia's finances - the EU's putting it's harshest ever sanctions in history on Russia, BoJo the clown and the Czech president have called for Russia to be kicked off the SWIFT banking system. War is expensive and I think people are thinking targeting Russia's ability to fund its war machine could cause Putin to stop this.

But who knows if waging economic war is enough to stop Russia's aggression here.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Ukraine isn't a NATO country which is excuse enough for them not to put boots on the ground.

If Putin decides Ukraine isn't enough though, given that Belarus is a puppet state for Russia after Lukashenko won a rigged election, his next targets would almost have to be NATO members. It's a big leap from him to essentially declare war on the Western world by invading a NATO member but nobody expected him to even go this far and there's a lot of talk of him "losing his mind" to some extent.

The map is here:

NWLD-graphic-nato-MH.jpg

I think we should a tier list of each sovereign nation’s head of state’s physical prowess in terms of unarmed combat. I’m thinking that Putin is the first overall draft pick, and unfortunately Queen Liz II is quite low on the rankings, mainly due to her being born during the fall of the West Roman Empire.

• Haha 1

Remember when war was a viable form of diplomacy? Boy, nukes really put a stop to that. England declared war on Napoleon several times a year, bet they wouldn’t have is Naps had a WMD. We live in an age of unprecedented peace, I really hope this doesn’t escalate to a much larger war.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Dr. Gonzo this is probably the most dumbest question ever asked on tf365 but I'm assuming if Russia does invade a nato country that would cause a war because nato countries fight together? 

NATO is a defensive alliance so it's essentially "attack one of us and you're attacking all of us".

That's the theory anyway. There was another agreement called the Minsk Agreement which saw Ukraine give up their nuclear weapons on the understanding that Russia would fully acknowledge its independence as a state, but here we are. Putin got away with Crimea in 2014 and he'll essentially get away with this too.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Dr. Gonzo this is probably the most dumbest question ever asked on tf365 but I'm assuming if Russia does invade a nato country that would cause a war because nato countries fight together? 

Yeah, if a NATO country is attacked, the rest of NATO will go to war with the attacker to defend it.

Cutting off Russia's funds will get to the bottom of this.  They're still very dependent on the west when it comes to banking, finance, cash flow, etc. as was mentioned above.  When the Russian moneymen start getting hit in the pocket they will put pressure on Putin.  The question is will anyone have the balls to do it?

21 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Arent there other conflicts in Europe we don't get involved in though? 

This is a country that's recently been talked about potentially being in the EU and possibly joining NATO. It's also a conflict that's really flaring up after 8 years of fighting after Russia invaded Ukraine the last time around.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Coma said:

Cutting off Russia's funds will get to the bottom of this.  They're still very dependent on the west when it comes to banking, finance, cash flow, etc. as was mentioned above.  When the Russian moneymen start getting hit in the pocket they will put pressure on Putin.  The question is will anyone have the balls to do it?

Something tells me Putin himself won't back down so easily. Probably just fuck him off even more. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Something tells me Putin himself won't back down so easily. Probably just fuck him off even more. 

This. By all accounts, Putin doesn't care about the economy and the oligarchs that face sanctions by the West are still much better off on his side than putting pressure on him to get their sanctions lifted.

I'd love to be wrong but if Putin gets away with this it probably marks the end of the West being able to cow the less liberal and democratic superpowers. If we're being honest, Russia and China can pretty much walk all over the US and Europe now. To believe that we have any power to tell them to back off or else is now a pretence. Just got to hope Putin doesn't go on to test the waters with the NATO countries on his doorstep because then it either will be WW3 or there will be no military response which will be an acceptance of effective powerlessness from the Western nations.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Huge!

I need to chill for a bit. This is stressing me out. 😅

I've been stressed all day following this as well. If the Ukrainians have won back that airfield that is positive news. As predicted they won't go down without a hell of a fight. I feel really sorry though for all the innocent civilians and families in Ukraine.

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to Russia and Ukraine