talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

Lavrov's said Russia's not considering using nuclear weapons in Ukraine.

Given Russia's propensity to do basically the opposite of whatever they claim they're about to do in this war... I actually am quite nervous about what that might mean.

I saw the Russians made scores of missile attacks around Ukraine yesterday making claims of several military targets being hit. Probably in part due to the shame of losing one of their state of the art destroyers.

Also Greece impounded a Russian oil tanker not much coverage given to that though I see that as being significant. It might change Russian plans on the ground on Ukraine if they think their commercial shipping will be targets they might as well annex most of Ukraine so their pipelines can continue to flow into friendly states in Eastern Europe. I think that is how they will see it.

Finland used to be part of the Russian empire up to WWI and in the early part of WWII Russia was attacking Finland and there was unease in some quarters in the West over whether the Soviet Union should be an enemy.

Blinken (US) is verbally pressurising Modi of India without success so far.

This could go nuclear and the Middle East might escalate too, the US are luckily on a different continent it is only their servicemen that will be in the firing line. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Do most countries have their own official Twitter account like Ukraine? And does it get run by the government or what?

Yes, most countries do - I dunno about all of them, but a lot of them do. And yeah, they're run by the government.

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Do most countries have their own official Twitter account like Ukraine? And does it get run by the government or what?

Yeah its a rising trend, governments handle it themselves but it is mostly an extension of cultural outreach programs, sharing photos of cultural sites, landscapes and historical facts.

On 25/04/2022 at 02:34, Aladdin said:

Ngl this is funny. They added Japan's imperial emperor with the axis dictators but later apologized. 

Lmao, it doesn't really help the idea that Russia is the one distorting history.

Ukraine realises it's a "mistake" to group Japan as one of the Axis powers, because they're so desperate for Japan's help that they'll happily re-write history so as not to offend them.

• Upvote 2

On 25/04/2022 at 16:13, RandoEFC said:

Well I'm fucking glad the UK doesn't have one because we could do without Nadine Dorries getting access to it and putting out deranged shite under the blue ticked name of the UK.

We've got one too: 

but ours is mostly just shit like that

On 26/04/2022 at 01:19, Inverted said:

Ukraine realises it's a "mistake" to group Japan as one of the Axis powers, because they're so desperate for Japan's help that they'll happily re-write history so as not to offend them.

I think it's weird too. Is their argument that Hirohito's Japan wasn't fascist? Maybe that's true, but even if it is true... it's also true that if Imperial Japan wasn't fascist, it was certainly very close to being fascist.

But I know there's a large part of Japan's population that likes to pretend that they were never a part of the Axis powers and that Japan are just victims of WW2, rather than aggressive imperialists that brutalised China, Korea, etc, committing horrific war crimes (Unit 731 is notable because it is absolutely horrific)... going so far as to deny that war crimes ever happened.

I think it's a stupid thing for Japan to get offended about; Italians and Germans weren't offended (at least not many of them) because they're more ashamed of their past in WW2 I suppose.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We've got one too: 

but ours is mostly just shit like that

Yeah I mean that one is clearly named after the government though, not called "United Kingdom". The Ukraine one, at a glance at least, appears to claim to represent the actual country of Ukraine rather than just the government. I know it's got that flag on it that calls it a government affiliated account but I'd personally feel quite uncomfortable if there was a social media account called simply "United Kingdom" with a blue tick and a union jack profile picture that was controlled by the government of the day and their communications team. It looks like it isn't that irregular though.

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

"Damn, u2 are such a solid and popular band"
:Guy in 1991. Attributed. 

U2’s 80s and early 90s output is amazing, Up until after Achtung Baby they didn’t make a bad album 

• Upvote 1