The better place to talk football.

Chelsea wait on Alex Sandro to decide his future

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/06/2017 at 9:35 PM, robosys said:

Still on the verge!? :coffee:

Haha, yeah that's a fair dig.

If we are to believe the written media over the weekend, there is a meeting planned for today where we should find out if he wants to come or stick with Juventus or sign for PSG.

We will see :ay:

8 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Haha, yeah that's a fair dig.

If we are to believe the written media over the weekend, there is a meeting planned for today where we should find out if he wants to come or stick with Juventus or sign for PSG.

We will see :ay:

Would Alonso accept a bit part role after being important in his first season? I think he's gonna be pretty unhappy being relegated to the bench and I don't really rate Sandro as a clear upgrade over Alonso, Sandro in the final of the champions league was utterly dominated by Carvajal who had him in his pocket all through, couldn't even cross to save his life when Mandzukic went into the box.

1 hour ago, robosys said:

Would Alonso accept a bit part role after being important in his first season? I think he's gonna be pretty unhappy being relegated to the bench and I don't really rate Sandro as a clear upgrade over Alonso, Sandro in the final of the champions league was utterly dominated by Carvajal who had him in his pocket all through, couldn't even cross to save his life when Mandzukic went into the box.

Oh I think most knowledgeable Chelsea fans would agree its a tough call on Alonso. How he re-acts will be interesting as there is no doubt his performances last season do not warrant him being kicked into touch so quickly. Yes he has his weaknesses which is probably why the manager has Sandro on his want list. Sandro on the other had has a reputation of being the best left full\wing back of his type. I am not convinced the transfer will go through, but if it does Sandro will be welcome and for the money we are to pay for him, he better play well from the word go.

1 hour ago, robosys said:

How can a fullback dominate another fullback? Did Marcelo dominate Alves? Juventus played a very defensive game after they've equalised which was the first mistake they made in that final. So you can see how that would cause problems for both Sandro and Alves. 

Unlike Alonso, Sandro is the 'modern' full back. Quick, great defensively and great attacking wise. Alonso was possibly our best panic buy of the century, and he didn't do much wrong last season. However, with Europe in mind, Conte is looking to upgrade on our current players and have available options for rotation. We play a game where we rely heavily on our wing backs, so I cannot see why Sandro and Alonso could each get a significant amount of game tim.e 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

How can a fullback dominate another fullback? Did Marcelo dominate Alves? Juventus played a very defensive game after they've equalised which was the first mistake they made in that final. So you can see how that would cause problems for both Sandro and Alves. 

Unlike Alonso, Sandro is the 'modern' full back. Quick, great defensively and great attacking wise. Alonso was possibly our best panic buy of the century, and he didn't do much wrong last season. However, with Europe in mind, Conte is looking to upgrade on our current players and have available options for rotation. We play a game where we rely heavily on our wing backs, so I cannot see why Sandro and Alonso could each get a significant amount of game tim.e 

He is a modern full back and I agree, he's definitely got the energy to match the intensity of the premier league, I just don't think that's the position he should be looking to upgrade, I think the RWB needs an upgrade and the LWB just needs a decent cover

5 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Oh I think most knowledgeable Chelsea fans would agree its a tough call on Alonso. How he re-acts will be interesting as there is no doubt his performances last season do not warrant him being kicked into touch so quickly. Yes he has his weaknesses which is probably why the manager has Sandro on his want list. Sandro on the other had has a reputation of being the best left full\wing back of his type. I am not convinced the transfer will go through, but if it does Sandro will be welcome and for the money we are to pay for him, he better play well from the word go.

Exactly my point, but like you said, let's see how the "verge of him signing" turns out, if he doesn't sign for Chelsea, what other options in that position will Conte be looking at cause he seem to have placed all his eggs in one basket in that position.

10 hours ago, robosys said:

He is a modern full back and I agree, he's definitely got the energy to match the intensity of the premier league, I just don't think that's the position he should be looking to upgrade, I think the RWB needs an upgrade and the LWB just needs a decent cover

Exactly my point, but like you said, let's see how the "verge of him signing" turns out, if he doesn't sign for Chelsea, what other options in that position will Conte be looking at cause he seem to have placed all his eggs in one basket in that position.

Because we have Azpilicueta who can play there as well, where we have no other option as a LWB. And I still believe we are in the market for a RWB. 

Since when is a matter of 'adding depth' especially for competition among players, deemed unnecessary? All of our players have shown dry spells, especially in situations where they knew they would always be on the pitch (Ivanovic and Courtois spring to mind in the 2015/16 season). 

Literally almost a handful of articles have stated 'on the verge' or 'edging closer,' this is down solely on Alex Sandro himself as us and Juventus have already agreed on a fee. If not, I believe our next option would be Alex Telles

7 hours ago, Cicero said:

Because we have Azpilicueta who can play there as well, where we have no other option as a LWB. And I still believe we are in the market for a RWB. 

Since when is a matter of 'adding depth' especially for competition among players, deemed unnecessary? All of our players have shown dry spells, especially in situations where they knew they would always be on the pitch (Ivanovic and Courtois spring to mind in the 2015/16 season). 

Literally almost a handful of articles have stated 'on the verge' or 'edging closer,' this is down solely on Alex Sandro himself as us and Juventus have already agreed on a fee. If not, I believe our next option would be Alex Telles

Adding depth for competition is not unnecessary but when the player that is being brought in will be replacing your undisputed starter, then I see that as being unnecessary imo, money could have been spent on a cheaper cover and a CF or something.

21 minutes ago, robosys said:

Adding depth for competition is not unnecessary but when the player that is being brought in will be replacing your undisputed starter, then I see that as being unnecessary imo, money could have been spent on a cheaper cover and a CF or something.

I'll stick with my manager who won the league with Alonso and Moses as full backs. 

Deal is dead. All sources that stated we apparently signed him have been silent for weeks. 

80 million? Right. Don't care how much Conte wants him, our board will never pay that amount. Koulibaly 2.0. 

I miss Gourlay 

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Deal is dead. All sources that stated we apparently signed him have been silent for weeks. 

80 million? Right. Don't care how much Conte wants him, our board will never pay that amount. Koulibaly 2.0. 

I miss Gourlay 

I miss the verge of signing him mate :D, no clue where will we go to find cover for Alonso and a new striker.

23 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I miss the verge of signing him mate :D, no clue where will we go to find cover for Alonso and a new striker.

Any coincidence as soon as Gourlay leaves we have been toothless in transfer dealings? 

1 minute ago, True Blue said:

Our signings weren't shit overall, just fail to strenghten after a title win.

Would we have signed Costa, Filipe Luis, and Cesc as easily as we had back then? 

7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

No but we did signed them and they all did well. Luis not so well but i think he needed more time.

The point i'm trying to make is whether or not there is a correlation with Gourlay leaving and Marina being appointed with respect to how toothless we have been in transfers and the negotiation process. 

With Gourlay, we had arguably the best transfer summer in 2014. Costa, Cesc, and Filipe Luis were all announced one after another fairly quick. He then left in October of 2014, and since then, we have failed to acquire every one of the manager's preferred targets with low baling efforts. 3 years now. 

It's hard to say we would have signed Costa, Filipe Luis, and Cesc now as easily as we did back under Gourlay. 

Archived