talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

I've been touting Norwich & Burnley since Day One.

Getting it badly wrong with Watford though, who do look likely to be the 3rd side to go.

It would seem something of an injustice if Leeds, Everton or a few currently just above get sucked into it. And Newcastle seem to be turning a corner at the right time.

I struggle to see it as anything but 3 from the current bottom 4.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Waylander said:

If Weghorst is out for an extended period I think this could be the season Burnley also go down.

I agree with this. He was easily Burnley's biggest threat against us - he actually looks like quite a good player despite his finishing looking a bit shit yesterday.

But without him I think Burnley will really struggle.

• 3 weeks later...

If I am a neutral right now with no bias, I'd be thinking it's Burnley v Leeds for survival.

Easy on the eye but with no follow through v Get it in the mixer for the big brick shithouses.

We know what usually prevails.

Gulp.

Screenshot_20220305-170455_LiveScore.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If I am a neutral right now with no bias, I'd be thinking it's Burnley v Leeds for survival.

Easy on the eye but with no follow through v Get it in the mixer for the big brick shithouses.

We know what usually prevails.

Gulp.

Screenshot_20220305-170455_LiveScore.jpg

Everton are not exactly playing well either

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Brentford v Burnley next.

There's twists and turns to come yet.

Yep. 

Everton vs Brentford and Brentford vs Leeds in the final 2 weeks of the season... 

• Subscriber

I remain relatively unconcerned. We have between 2 and 4 games in hand on all of the teams around us.

We should be absolutely ashamed if we conspire to finish below three out of Leeds, Brentford, Burnley, Watford and Norwich, and if we do then we can have no complaints about going down.

16 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Big game for us, if we win it puts us 3 points ahead outside of their games in hand which would be massive.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Yep. Changes almost every week. This is shaping up to be a particularly good one though I think.

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

WTF are you on about? Burney won 2 of their games xD They're in a MUCH better position now? 

the point is unless you win them they can be added pressure.  despite winning 2 they are still in the relegation zone

They actually raised a point on BBC Radio 5 Live last night which I thought was interesting.

Brighton are currently 13th, 33pts from 27 games.

It was the belief of the presenters that theoretically, they felt they could lose every game to the end of the season and probably still stay up.

I'm not 100% sure about that as someone always does something unpredictable to turn the cat amongst the pigeons but, it probably is going to be around the 35pt mark give or take and right now, that looks a tall order for at least 5 of us.

Makes you wonder if this really could be the lowest total needed to survive for sometime, or possibly matches Villa's 35 a couple years ago.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

They actually raised a point on BBC Radio 5 Live last night which I thought was interesting.

Brighton are currently 13th, 33pts from 27 games.

It was the belief of the presenters that theoretically, they felt they could lose every game to the end of the season and probably still stay up.

I'm not 100% sure about that as someone always does something unpredictable to turn the cat amongst the pigeons but, it probably is going to be around the 35pt mark give or take and right now, that looks a tall order for at least 5 of us.

Makes you wonder if this really could be the lowest total needed to survive for sometime, or possibly matches Villa's 35 a couple years ago.

I can't see Watford or Norwich making 30 points,  Burnley, Everton and Leeds could so 35 is probably right on the limit.   Everton have a rather disasterous run in. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RondónEFC said:

People keep talking about our run in. We still have Burnley (A), Leicester (H), Watford (A) to be rearranged that currently won't be showing on our fixture list.

There's a quite good chance we play you twice in May. That would be interesting - I feel like your relegation if it happened would be as significant as any.

4 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

People keep talking about our run in. We still have Burnley (A), Leicester (H), Watford (A) to be rearranged that currently won't be showing on our fixture list.

Cool. So you lose to Burnley who lap you, lose to Leicester because you're one of 3 teams who are actually more of a disaster than them this season, then draw with Watford, sealing relegation for the both of you. 

4 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

Other than the recent Leeds match, you've not looked that great against some of the other sides battling relegation - so I wouldn't necessarily take the Burnley & Watford matches as a given 3 points.

You and Leeds, at your worst, look around the Norwich & Watford level. I'm not convinced you won't pick up form... but I'm also not convinced that you're necessarily "too good to go down"

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Cool. So you lose to Burnley who lap you, lose to Leicester because you're one of 3 teams who are actually more of a disaster than them this season, then draw with Watford, sealing relegation for the both of you. 

You can't have it both ways. We were talking about how difficult Everton's run in is and nothing more. People were saying "look at these remaining fixtures they're all against top half clubs" because of their extensive research of looking at the fixture list. I pointed out that actually we have three other games that aren't showing up yet and on paper those fixtures are up there amongst the more favourable you can get. If your opinion is that Everton are bad enough to lose all of those games anyway then fine, but that isn't a counter-argument to what I've pointed out. It's an objectively better outlook to have three additional fixtures to score points from (point taken on the extra chance for Burnley and Watford as well).

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Other than the recent Leeds match, you've not looked that great against some of the other sides battling relegation - so I wouldn't necessarily take the Burnley & Watford matches as a given 3 points.

You and Leeds, at your worst, look around the Norwich & Watford level. I'm not convinced you won't pick up form... but I'm also not convinced that you're necessarily "too good to go down"

Again, I never said this. We were talking about the difficulty of the run ins. Because some people who feel well-researched enough to comment on this because they've opened an app and looked at a fixture list, they think we have 10 games left (Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal, Man Utd, West Ham, Brentford, Palace, Newcastle, Wolves). I have pointed out that we actually have 13 games left (Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester x2, Arsenal, Man Utd, West Ham, Brentford, Palace, Newcastle, Wolves, Watford and Burnley).

I don't really care what people think about what will or won't happen in these extra games. It’s not what I was talking about. I came to state some facts that some people are clearly missing and you're both quoting my post as if I've expressed an opinion on what that means for our chances. I clearly didn't do that.

So what's you argument then? "People keep talking about our run in, but we actually play these 3 teams too"

Implies you think those fixtures are easy, and thus I reply that when you're 4th bottom, there are no easy fixtures. 
Even if your argument is 'games in hand' again, does you no good if you can't get some wins. 

6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So what's you argument then? "People keep talking about our run in, but we actually play these 3 teams too"

Implies you think those fixtures are easy, and thus I reply that when you're 4th bottom, there are no easy fixtures. 
Even if your argument is 'games in hand' again, does you no good if you can't get some wins. 

No, he said there are three more chances to win points than people assumed. This plus in chances betters the odds to win points automatically, even if Everton aren't necessarly favorites in any of these additional matches. 

Archived