talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So what's you argument then? "People keep talking about our run in, but we actually play these 3 teams too"

Implies you think those fixtures are easy, and thus I reply that when you're 4th bottom, there are no easy fixtures. 
Even if your argument is 'games in hand' again, does you no good if you can't get some wins. 

I'm not making any argument. I'm making a factual statement about our fixture list. 

People were talking about Everton's run-in. I pointed out that actually the fixture list that you can find on most websites currently omits three fixtures that were cancelled earlier in the season due to Covid, injuries and clashes with other competitions, and have yet to have their dates rearranged.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not completely sold that Everton will be in the relegation battle come the last couple weeks, ofc they’ve tough fixtures coming up and the congestion will hurt them. But they do have talent and more talent than most of the teams in the relegation battle, everyone’s playing shit, the extra bit of talent they have may well squeeze them through sooner than people think

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I’m not completely sold that Everton will be in the relegation battle come the last couple weeks, ofc they’ve tough fixtures coming up and the congestion will hurt them. But they do have talent and more talent than most of the teams in the relegation battle, everyone’s playing shit, the extra bit of talent they have may well squeeze them through sooner than people think

I know how this is probably bullshit cos look at that absolutely shite source…

…but that would certainly help fuck them over if it’s true

6 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

I'm not making any argument. I'm making a factual statement about our fixture list. 

People were talking about Everton's run-in. I pointed out that actually the fixture list that you can find on most websites currently omits three fixtures that were cancelled earlier in the season due to Covid, injuries and clashes with other competitions, and have yet to have their dates rearranged.

There's plenty of websites that include the fixtures with no date yet and just list them as TBC. The website I normally use certainly does. A quick Google shows that Everton's own website and the Premier League website does too.

it's a difficult place to be and harder for fans.   Relegation is a terrible thing no sugar coating.   

the only time you are to good to go down is if you are 20+ points clear by this stage of the season.   if you are 1 point over Burnley it is indicative of a squad that isn't good or the manager or both.    

every game is hard now whether top or bottom of the league

• Subscriber

That's fair enough, I was, as they say, 'just saying'. I have seen many on social media share pictures of the organised fixtures and go ooooh look at Everton's run-in, quite a few people are seemingly unaware of those rearranged fixtures. With the Man City and Spurs games out of the way, I would describe the remaining thirteen games as a pretty average run-in in terms of difficulty. We play twelve of the other nineteen teams in the league, which is roughly two-thirds. That includes two-thirds of the top three (Chelsea and Liverpool but not Man City), two-thirds of the next three (Arsenal and Man Utd but not Spurs), two-thirds of the bottom three (Watford and Burnley but not Norwich), two-thirds of the other relegation candidates (Newcastle and Brentford but not Leeds), two-thirds of the top-halfish sides (Wolves and West Ham but not Southampton) and half of the floating, safe teams (Leicester twice, Crystal Palace but not Aston Villa or Brighton).

Our run-in is about as average as you could come up with if you started from scratch, and anyone who wouldn't rather be on 22 points with 13 games remaining than 22 points with 10 games remaining is just daft. You can say that without assuming that those three extra games are necessarily going to get you a significant number of games. Anyone would rather have the chance in those extra three matches than have already lost them.

I'm not making any predictions about this team. I've said enough times, even with all of the mistakes of the past decade in terms of recruitment, the squad we have ending up in the Championship would just be a stupid calamity. If we do get relegated, though, we deserve it, and I don't think anybody could deny that a sizeable proportion of our players could have no complaints if they went down with the ship and couldn't get a move back up to the top flight. Even if we survive, Farhad Moshiri has blood on his hands for the state of this football club and so does Bill Kenwright for handing him the keys. I'd love to pretend "oh if we can just get through this season without going down we'll be back in mid-table next season and we'll rebuild from there" but I don't believe that for a second. This is an owner that doesn't learn anything, regardless of how bad things get. We've gone backward almost every season since he started making decisions for the football club and if the Goodison crowd manage to haul this spineless team to enough home results to scrape a 16th-placed finish, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest we'll bounce back next season unless Frank Lampard is an absolute miracle worker. And if he is, he won't be around forever either.

Relegation or not, the united, passionate, if limited football club I grew up getting used to has been stripped away over the past decade. Some of our fans describe us as a corpse of a football club and it's hard to argue. We have a manager now with new ideas who says the right things but still has a lot to prove, and a handful of players that are likeable and decent at football. Beside that, there is very little to get behind and the emotional attachment is little more than perfunctory now. I just really struggle to get emotionally invested in whether or not we're in the Premier League or the Championship next season. Either way, this club is a million miles away from getting me excited about or interested in the future.

32 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

That's fair enough, I was, as they say, 'just saying'. I have seen many on social media share pictures of the organised fixtures and go ooooh look at Everton's run-in, quite a few people are seemingly unaware of those rearranged fixtures. With the Man City and Spurs games out of the way, I would describe the remaining thirteen games as a pretty average run-in in terms of difficulty. We play twelve of the other nineteen teams in the league, which is roughly two-thirds. That includes two-thirds of the top three (Chelsea and Liverpool but not Man City), two-thirds of the next three (Arsenal and Man Utd but not Spurs), two-thirds of the bottom three (Watford and Burnley but not Norwich), two-thirds of the other relegation candidates (Newcastle and Brentford but not Leeds), two-thirds of the top-halfish sides (Wolves and West Ham but not Southampton) and half of the floating, safe teams (Leicester twice, Crystal Palace but not Aston Villa or Brighton).

Our run-in is about as average as you could come up with if you started from scratch, and anyone who wouldn't rather be on 22 points with 13 games remaining than 22 points with 10 games remaining is just daft. You can say that without assuming that those three extra games are necessarily going to get you a significant number of games. Anyone would rather have the chance in those extra three matches than have already lost them.

I'm not making any predictions about this team. I've said enough times, even with all of the mistakes of the past decade in terms of recruitment, the squad we have ending up in the Championship would just be a stupid calamity. If we do get relegated, though, we deserve it, and I don't think anybody could deny that a sizeable proportion of our players could have no complaints if they went down with the ship and couldn't get a move back up to the top flight. Even if we survive, Farhad Moshiri has blood on his hands for the state of this football club and so does Bill Kenwright for handing him the keys. I'd love to pretend "oh if we can just get through this season without going down we'll be back in mid-table next season and we'll rebuild from there" but I don't believe that for a second. This is an owner that doesn't learn anything, regardless of how bad things get. We've gone backward almost every season since he started making decisions for the football club and if the Goodison crowd manage to haul this spineless team to enough home results to scrape a 16th-placed finish, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest we'll bounce back next season unless Frank Lampard is an absolute miracle worker. And if he is, he won't be around forever either.

Relegation or not, the united, passionate, if limited football club I grew up getting used to has been stripped away over the past decade. Some of our fans describe us as a corpse of a football club and it's hard to argue. We have a manager now with new ideas who says the right things but still has a lot to prove, and a handful of players that are likeable and decent at football. Beside that, there is very little to get behind and the emotional attachment is little more than perfunctory now. I just really struggle to get emotionally invested in whether or not we're in the Premier League or the Championship next season. Either way, this club is a million miles away from getting me excited about or interested in the future.

I can probably see you getting enough points to stay up, mostly on draws

With it being between Burnley, Everton, and Leeds for the third relegation spot, I feel like Everton are the least likely to go down but that just might be because of them being a Premier League staple.

Leeds leak goals at an insane level and Burnley will probably pick up enough points here and there just by being difficult so at the moment, Leeds look to me as the most likely to join Norwich and Watford.

10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

With it being between Burnley, Everton, and Leeds for the third relegation spot, I feel like Everton are the least likely to go down but that just might be because of them being a Premier League staple.

Leeds leak goals at an insane level and Burnley will probably pick up enough points here and there just by being difficult so at the moment, Leeds look to me as the most likely to join Norwich and Watford.

Leeds and defending, what is this witchcraft

It's important not to be knee-jerky when you get a result like that but we're basically the equivalent of a wobbly tooth in a little kids mouth, getting pushed about back and forth, hanging on by a thread and just waiting to be plucked out.

• Subscriber

The bottom six teams all look so poor at the moment that you could see all of them getting to the end of the season with 0 or 1 wins each and not find it unbelievable.

It's funny Everton fans were tweeting about the four games tonight as if they were all relevant to us. Any doubt over Newcastle's survival was extinguished tonight but for me, that ship had long sailed already.

Brentford have a bit of a points advantage over the bottom five. It's not inconceivable that they could stay up without winning another game this season. Watford and Norwich are surely dead and buried. Leeds look absolutely incapable of winning a football match and we're not that far ahead.

What I'll say as a cause for slight optimism on our part is that, while we're the worst team in the league away from home, our home form since the new manager came in has seen us beat Brentford and Leeds handily before being robbed of a point against the league leaders. If we can scrape together 2 or 3 home wins and a few draws we'll be absolutely fine. The bar is really fucking low this season though.

Burnley have Brentford, Man City and Norwich in their next 3. If they take 6 points it will pile pressure on others. If they take 3 or 4 points it'll probably be the same situation as right now. Less than that and this thread can be closed.

15 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Burnley have Brentford, Man City and Norwich in their next 3. If they take 6 points it will pile pressure on others. If they take 3 or 4 points it'll probably be the same situation as right now. Less than that and this thread can be closed.

Norwich is the only one I see them getting anything from.   Brentford are good in possession and city will pass rings around them.  didn't they draw the last game to Norwich

9 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

The bottom six teams all look so poor at the moment that you could see all of them getting to the end of the season with 0 or 1 wins each and not find it unbelievable.

It's funny Everton fans were tweeting about the four games tonight as if they were all relevant to us. Any doubt over Newcastle's survival was extinguished tonight but for me, that ship had long sailed already.

Brentford have a bit of a points advantage over the bottom five. It's not inconceivable that they could stay up without winning another game this season. Watford and Norwich are surely dead and buried. Leeds look absolutely incapable of winning a football match and we're not that far ahead.

What I'll say as a cause for slight optimism on our part is that, while we're the worst team in the league away from home, our home form since the new manager came in has seen us beat Brentford and Leeds handily before being robbed of a point against the league leaders. If we can scrape together 2 or 3 home wins and a few draws we'll be absolutely fine. The bar is really fucking low this season though.

Everton are fighting with Leeds and Burnley.   of the three Leeds look most likely to concert, then Everton.   i think Everton and Burnley will just about hang on

@Danny huge win for you today. I think you should just be ok. @RondónEFC I think you will be ok as well with the games in hand you have. 

I think Burnley will catch leeds. I think it will be Norwich,Watford and Leeds that go down 

Burnley by rights should have won that game long before Toney's goal on the 85th minute.     They wasted great chances and Brentford hit them with the sucker punch.  

Leeds are in trouble for sure and they can't seem to change their approach by switching the high line to a low block to stop teams just running through them.   If Phillips and Bamford return and they don't need a few games to get up to pace again then Leeds have the quality their to survive as Raphinia, Bamford and Phillips are better than any player in Everton and Burnley,  but that is looking unlikely.    

Burnley are more organised than Everton and Leeds but lack quality to score enough goals,  its a longshot for them to survive but defensively they may be good enough to sneak draws and a snatch a smash and grab win.   Everton and Leeds both concern me,   neither team can defend and neither is scoring enough to overcome the defensive liabilities.    The Dele Alli signing and the amount of money they spent on it should have gone into defense.  

The bottom three might stay the same now. Everton are bound to start picking up some points and you’d expect Leeds to improve once Bamford and Phillips are back, which is just about to happen. Burnley have Weghorst, but they just don’t create enough for him. Losing to Brentford was a bad one. 

Important day today - two new men in charge - 04 at 12.30 and LUFC at 2pm.  Both vital games - We sould get a bit nearer to promotion haveing got rid of the man holding us back and the guys from 5 miles away from me have old friend Timo and the Canaries to deal with - hopefully three points and climb away from danger.  The Loiners should start by watching SkyDE2 and I will be with them for the 2 o;'clock kick off down the road.

Sei nett!

No offence to Leeds fans on here but I really want them to go down. I know Burnley play shit football buts its nice to see a club with not much money competing in a league that is all about money. As least if Leeds go down it shows it's not all about money. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No offence to Leeds fans on here but I really want them to go down. I know Burnley play shit football buts its nice to see a club with not much money competing in a league that is all about money. As least if Leeds go down it shows it's not all about money. 

What a strange thing to say?

Archived