talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think Fulham are likely to go back down too, it’s really difficult to stay up unless you have star quality somewhere.

Wolves, Leeds, Aston Villa and now us. You have a team backed by Jorge Mendes, Bielsa in charge, Jack Grealish and then our general model of running a club, plus the signing of Christian Eriksen. There’s something there that really carries a team and I’m not sure Fulham have that, atm I’m getting Norwich vibes.

Even though Bournemouth were relegated because mainly cos of an injury crisis and they still have a few ex-PL players in that team I don’t see how they stay up either. Especially when their best Premier League experienced players left already. We could see all 3 promoted teams drop next season tbh.

I agree with all of this to be honest. Even the teams above the bottom five look more equipped and established to deal with the demands of this divison than they did twelve months ago.

The only thing I'll say about the last sentence is that I've noticed over the years that owners of Premier League clubs make inexcusable decisions that just derail everything and theres plenty of clubs that may have big decisions to make. Everton have become a pay cheque destination for players and could lose either DCL or Richarlison this summer, its a big summer for Leeds with Raphinia possibly leaving, we haven't seen enough of the new Southampton owners to form an opinion, Crystal Palace will have a difficult summer trying to hold on to the young assets and replacing Gallagher, even Brentford could have a hard time if Ivan Toney forces a move given his goal contributions.

One of them teams is bound to make a wtf decision at some point. Its just whether Fulham ran by a manchild juggling several companies, Bournemouth managed by Parker and whoever else comes up takes advantage of it.

One of the promoted sides normally stay up.

Some will poach a player from a relegated club.

Though often they play a certain brand of football that is difficult to break down and if they have good players on the break they can often survive a season. 

36 minutes ago, Waylander said:

One of the promoted sides normally stay up.

Some will poach a player from a relegated club.

Though often they play a certain brand of football that is difficult to break down and if they have good players on the break they can often survive a season. 

Brentford started off okay. Then went on a bit of a wobble and bounced back well. Considering all the players they've sold down the years they've done really well. 

The scouting their is class. Ex spurs man made a decent impact for them too 👍 

Id want all promoted sides to stop up apart from Blackburn 

hard to think that on 31 January we were second bottom looking at a miracle, now we are 3 points off a top 10 finish.   What is going down in history is the first team without a win in 13 to survive.  

the win against Leicester was testament to how hard the team is to break down, emile Krafth was a who on the team sheet yet he has been brilliant since Trippiers injury.   Joelinton is probably the biggest turn around, from a hopeless striker to above average ball winning midfielder.

news is intensifying that we will pursue Darwin Nunez and Eriksen with intent, they will be statement signings.

5 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

hard to think that on 31 January we were second bottom looking at a miracle, now we are 3 points off a top 10 finish.   What is going down in history is the first team without a win in 13 to survive.  

the win against Leicester was testament to how hard the team is to break down, emile Krafth was a who on the team sheet yet he has been brilliant since Trippiers injury.   Joelinton is probably the biggest turn around, from a hopeless striker to above average ball winning midfielder.

news is intensifying that we will pursue Darwin Nunez and Eriksen with intent, they will be statement signings.

Eddie Howe done a cracking job in fairness to him.. Didn't expect him to do so well. Can't help but think he won't be there in 2 years though. Think you'll replace him with a more high profile name. 

1 hour ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

Eddie Howe done a cracking job in fairness to him.. Didn't expect him to do so well. Can't help but think he won't be there in 2 years though. Think you'll replace him with a more high profile name. 

He should get a fair shot,  the idea in the board is stability and incremental changes,  big managers always want massive overhauls.    The interest in Darwin Nunez and Eriksen is genuine and another big question being asked is whether Elliot Anderson gets his shot,  he has been brilliant for Bristol so far and looks to have come on leaps since I last saw him play for Newcastle as a 17 year old. 

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

He should get a fair shot,  the idea in the board is stability and incremental changes,  big managers always want massive overhauls.    The interest in Darwin Nunez and Eriksen is genuine and another big question being asked is whether Elliot Anderson gets his shot,  he has been brilliant for Bristol so far and looks to have come on leaps since I last saw him play for Newcastle as a 17 year old. 

Think nunez be a great signing for the premier league. Although I thought that about werner too 😂

Think all round though nunez got more about him. Scored 2 in 2 against Liverpool too didn't he 🤔 

16 minutes ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

Think nunez be a great signing for the premier league. Although I thought that about werner too 😂

Think all round though nunez got more about him. Scored 2 in 2 against Liverpool too didn't he 🤔 

he is an old fashioned center forward, I think he will do well

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Danny said:

I think Fulham are likely to go back down too, it’s really difficult to stay up unless you have star quality somewhere.

Wolves, Leeds, Aston Villa and now us. You have a team backed by Jorge Mendes, Bielsa in charge, Jack Grealish and then our general model of running a club, plus the signing of Christian Eriksen. There’s something there that really carries a team and I’m not sure Fulham have that, atm I’m getting Norwich vibes.

Even though Bournemouth were relegated because mainly cos of an injury crisis and they still have a few ex-PL players in that team I don’t see how they stay up either. Especially when their best Premier League experienced players left already. We could see all 3 promoted teams drop next season tbh.

I tend to agree and I'm inclined to say all three that come up could drop. I always thought Brentford would be fine other than a midseason wobble where you looked like you could get dragged in, but you picked some wins up before it ever became really critical. We were talking earlier about next seasons relegation candidates and I don't see obvious candidates to drop next year beyond sides who came up. Actually think Everton will be right back within it.

All I'm seeing across various media platforms is how its basically down to Burnley and Everton.

I'm a bit concerned though, if all these people think we're safe or goibg to be alright, the players may relax also.

Burnley winning tonight wasn't ideal but I hope it also acts as a warning to us that we're not clear of this yet. Big game for us at Palace Monday, especially as we'll be the last of the three to play the weekend and could be in a very uncomfortable position.

• Administrator

Villa, anyone xD

Only because the official PL have included them in this graphic. Don't think they'll be in the battle for one second. 

Thought Leeds were clearer than just 5 points. It's time like these clubs towards the bottom start pick up a couple of results, some unexpected. 

It could go either way, Burnley’s fixtures look a lot better than what Everton & Leeds have left, depends how long this new no-manager bounce lasts. Those two games against Villa could flip the script entirely. 

Why are so many discounting us? 

Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal after Palace tomorrow night.

Personally, I think it could look very bleak for us if we don't get 3pts at Selhurst Park.

Most importantly, we are also giving up a point due to that goal difference. This will go to the wire.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Personally, I think it could look very bleak for us if we don't get 3pts at Selhurst Park.

Most importantly, we are also giving up a point due to that goal difference. This will go to the wire.

Most of Everton Twitter has given up on Burnley and have their desperate sights set on Leeds now so I hope that makes you feel seen. 🥲

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Could well be that we relegate you on the final day of the season, which personally I wouldn’t get much satisfaction from but there would be a couple of players like Dallas and Ayling who would make karma hitting them an enjoyable watch.

You do really have a difficult run in remaining, fortunate that you have a 4 point advantage atm. Still think you’ll grab a win or two between now and end of season. Wouldn’t be surprised if you beat us on the final day to stay up.

• Subscriber

Yeah Leeds' situation is actually worse than given credit for. Very much a three horse race at this point.

Though I do feel like Leeds have something about them, I've got visions of them needing a win to be safe on the final day but them getting it.

I didn't account for Burnley picking up like this either. Thought they'd continue to blow those winnable home games. They've opened it right up.

5 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Everton would end the "money buys trophies" debate if relegated.

Didn't Leeds already prove that by overspending a shitload and then having a long time out in the wilderness?

Money buys trophies if you know what you're doing and you can keep yourself sustainable.

• Subscriber

Just done a predictor...

image.png

Put Man City to win every game, Liverpool to win every game, Watford to lose every game, Norwich to lose every game (actually tempted to start backing this every week). That Burnley double header against Villa is vital, I put them to draw both and that'd do them I think.

Everton's run in really isn't that bad. Brentford, Palace, Watford and Leicester are all winnable games for them. I put them to win the first three and draw at Leicester.

I've little doubt this looks utterly silly in a month.

Archived