talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

33 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It seems written in the stars that we will be the ones to ruin Roy's impeccable record of never being relegated.

I just hope the pay off he gets from Watford is worth it.

not sure he had any chance.   Norwich and Watford are just championship teams while Burnley, Everton and Everton are poor premiership teams. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

not sure he had any chance.   Norwich and Watford are just championship teams while Burnley, Everton and Everton are poor premiership teams. 

Alright I know we're having a difficult season but once is enough surely? xD:ph34r:

5 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I don't think it will be a choice,  the financials of the football league are dire even in the championship it is less than a third of the revenue of the Premiership.    I don't think Phillips will want to stay and will strong arm his way out.   He will have no shortage of suitors from Man United, Liverpool, Newcastle and you can probably find a team like West Ham and Spurs involved if say Rice and Hojbjerg are moved. 

Who's place is he taking at Liverpool. 

Henderson? 

Maybe just over 30m no less though 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Alright I know we're having a difficult season but once is enough surely? xD:ph34r:

not poor as in finances although,  if you are not making money then it sort of means you have more debt than income which can't be good. 

13 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Whilst injuries have shunted him this season, Ismalia Sarr is still a quality player. They've also got players like Dennis, King, Sissoko, Kucka, Joao Pedro and Cucho Hernandez who may not be class but have shown at times to be capable of competing at this level. There defensive solidity was also there strongest attribute last season.

Whilst they are on paper one of the three worst teams in the league, I wouldn't say keeping them up was a hopeless cause given how close it was down the bottom at the time Roy Hodgson was appointed.

Southampton and Brentford aren't quite out yet, they need one victory to avoid an unlikely sleepwalking disaster with Burnley on form, Leeds looking like a tougher nut to crack under Marsch (City aside) and Everton being good at home and having Watford away.

On 02/05/2022 at 09:15, OrangeKhrush said:

Man United will be hoping leeds go down,  so they can hijack Phillips on the cheaper side.   The expectation that the championship halves value would making him a get for 20-30m 

It doesn't work like that anymore. The parachute payments are usually a strong enough cushion to hold players on long term contracts unless there is an offer they cannot refuse. Hence why we've seen the likes of Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, West Brom etc hold on to players such as Buendia, Sarr, Johnstone etc and Arsenal paying what seemed like an extortionate fee for Aaron Ramsdale. 

If Kalvin Phillips has more than 2+ years on his contract then Leeds United will be in no rush to sell and he doesn't strike me as the type to force a move like Mattheus Perreira did last summer. If anyone wants him i imagine theyll be paying a lot more than 20m.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

It doesn't work like that anymore. The parachute payments are usually a strong enough cushion to hold players on long term contracts unless there is an offer they cannot refuse. Hence why we've seen the likes of Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, West Brom etc hold on to players such as Buendia, Sarr, Johnstone etc and Arsenal paying what seemed like an extortionate fee for Aaron Ramsdale. 

If Kalvin Phillips has more than 2+ years on his contract then Leeds United will be in no rush to sell and he doesn't strike me as the type to force a move like Mattheus Perreira did last summer. If anyone wants him i imagine theyll be paying a lot more than 20m.

the parachute is 70m total averaged through three seasons getting less per instalments.

Just now, OrangeKhrush said:

the parachute is 70m total averaged through three seasons getting less per instalments.

.... Which will be enough for a team in Leeds United position not to sell Kalvin Phillips this summer in the region of 20m.

• Subscriber

£70m is pocket change if you have a wage budget and financial commitments like Everton do which is why relegation is more than just an embarrassing gaffe for us. It gives the potential for years of financial turmoil and, in some worst-case scenarios, an existential threat to the club's existence.

21 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

£70m is pocket change if you have a wage budget and financial commitments like Everton do which is why relegation is more than just an embarrassing gaffe for us. It gives the potential for years of financial turmoil and, in some worst-case scenarios, an existential threat to the club's existence.

Yeah, on paper it looks far more concerning for yourselves and Burnley if you go down.

Need to take some inspiration from the Peter Reid side that went to Highbury and beat that great Arsenal team 3-2 to stay up in 2003.

It's got to be a result of those proportions now to really flip this back in our favour.

• Subscriber
On 26/04/2022 at 04:42, Dan said:

Just done a predictor...

image.png

Put Man City to win every game, Liverpool to win every game, Watford to lose every game, Norwich to lose every game (actually tempted to start backing this every week). That Burnley double header against Villa is vital, I put them to draw both and that'd do them I think.

Everton's run in really isn't that bad. Brentford, Palace, Watford and Leicester are all winnable games for them. I put them to win the first three and draw at Leicester.

I've little doubt this looks utterly silly in a month.

I'm standing by this. Burnley to go for me.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not done mathematically yet but it seems to be the case that we're up, we just need Burnley to lose or draw their next game and we're officially clear.

I think you were realistically safe a couple of weeks ago mate xD 

• Subscriber

Danny if Brentford go down I'll donate you the Eiffel Tower.

If Burnley had won today I think Southampton became an outside bet but it's just that bit too much. Think Hasenhuttl's about at the end of the line though. That's gone stale and rubbish now.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dan said:

Think Hasenhuttl's about at the end of the line though. That's gone stale and rubbish now.

I've thought this a few times. Watch them have a horrendous start to next season then inexplicably turn up in 9th in December. xD

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've thought this a few times. Watch them have a horrendous start to next season then inexplicably turn up in 9th in December. xD

It should be a little better by now. Results like that are pathetic.

Burnley: Spurs (A), Villa (A), Newcastle (H)

Everton: Leicester A, Watford (A), Brentford (H), Palace (H), Arsenal (A)

Leeds: Arsenal A,  Chelsea (H), Brighton (H), Brentford (A), Villa (A)

Burnleys fixture list is looking tough,  not only do they have less games,  but all three are going to be very hard for them,  they could end up losing all three.    Leeds have a hard list of games to,  but need to get points in the last three.   Everton at home are almost bank,  Brentford and Palace are winnable games,  they surely have to beat Watford. 

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Everton at home are almost bank,  Brentford and Palace are winnable games,  they surely have to beat Watford

I'm petrified of Palace to be honest. Awful match up for us with all of the players they have that can, well, run.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm petrified of Palace to be honest. Awful match up for us with all of the players they have that can, well, run.

The don't like the smash mouth stuff though,  at Goodison it's the most hostile ground in the league.   Everton know how to mug a win. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

You should be. We have a track record of relegating a good fan base in front of their fans, and when we do, we don't see them again.

Archived