talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

• Administrator

Everton's superb fightback over Palace sealed safety for them with a game to spare, which looked unlikely just a few weeks back.

It's now down to Burnley and Leeds. Burnley's vastly superior GD over Leeds benefits them massively. -18 compared to -38...

image.png

Next matches:
Burnley vs Newcastle
Brentford vs Leeds

Burnley just need to match Leeds' result and they will be safe.

Leeds have to win and hope Burnley draw/lose, or draw and hope Burnley lose. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

After the derby we were five points inside the relegation zone with games against Chelsea and Leicester away coming up. Less than a month later we get out with a game to spare. It should never have come to this but credit where it's due to a set of players that I've often called spineless for such a turnaround. They sleep walked into a relegation scrap but when the chips were down they ultimately had just enough to get out of it. Credit also to the matchgoing fans who in the last month have taken "living and breathing the club" to a whole new level. So many things need to change at Everton from the playing squad to the boardroom but I've been pissed off and miserable all season so I'm at least giving myself a few days just to be relieved.

• Subscriber
On 26/04/2022 at 06:15, Devil-Dick Willie said:

my predictor has burnley on 36-38 points and everton on 31-33. No idea how you got them to 40? You think they just win every game from now? xD

Well well well :D

• Subscriber

Also weird how many Newcastle fans I've seen fully invested in seeing us get relegated this season to the extent that they're desperate for that story to be true even more than actual Leeds and Burnley fans. Not sure if it's their obsession with Pickford or not knowing how to react to Everton fans being proven entirely correct about their hero Rafa, or whether they just want to see a bigger club than them get relegated to make themselves feel better about their own adventures in the Championship but it's not just the one on here.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why are Everton's Covid losses so much more than everyone else? Genuine question, I don't get it.

Probably because we didn't claim furlough payments off the government like the Tories across the park. :ph34r:

I don't know much about the detail because the detail of finances at a football club is incredibly boring and tedious.

I heard a rumour that might be complete bollocks but it was something to do with special dispensation due to exceptional circumstances beyond our control costing us a £45m asset i.e. "unnamed Premier League player". I don't know though. It's the closest thing I've seen to an explanation that was short and simple enough for me to be arsed reading and digesting it.

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Also weird how many Newcastle fans I've seen fully invested in seeing us get relegated this season to the extent that they're desperate for that story to be true even more than actual Leeds and Burnley fans. Not sure if it's their obsession with Pickford or not knowing how to react to Everton fans being proven entirely correct about their hero Rafa, or whether they just want to see a bigger club than them get relegated to make themselves feel better about their own adventures in the Championship but it's not just the one on here.

a lot of your fan base have made it easy to loath Everton.   one of your fan base YT vloggers going on about Newcastle a small club up north and Everton a big club, and a few other derogatory things.   

I remember how agro he got to me telling him that Everton are not even big on Merseyside in his comments section.

Everton are also not endering themselves to the masses with pitch invasions, it happened in our game at Goodison where a nutter strapped himself to the goal post for 15min and destroyed our momentum in that game.    how many pitch invasions do you see at other clubs

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

lot of your fan base have made it easy to loath Everton.   one of your fan base YT vloggers going on about Newcastle a small club up north and Everton a big club, and a few other derogatory things.   

There's a feeling in the Everton fanbase that it's quite funny when the media talk about Newcastle as this massive club with the best fans in the country because you never even sell out your allocation of 3000 tickets whenever you come down to Goodison whereas Everton fans get panned as grumpy bastards that don't support their team when we sell out every single game home and away. That's not me having a dig, simply explaining the small club comments. When Newcastle were down in the bottom three with no wins in the first 3 months of the season, though, we were no more or less arsed than when it was Norwich or Burnley or Watford, whereas a few Newcastle fans seemed to froth at the mouth with excitement when an Everton relegation looked on the cards. I'm just trying to understand where the general irritation at other football clubs you don't really like turned into the genuine loathing that would usually be reserved for direct rivals.

26 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Everton are also not endering themselves to the masses with pitch invasions, it happened in our game at Goodison where a nutter strapped himself to the goal post for 15min and destroyed our momentum in that game. 

That protester had nothing to do with Everton. He wasn't even an Everton fan. It's also a bit weak trying to make out that it cost you the game, it was the same for both teams having to stir themselves after that disruption and Everton did it better than Newcastle. With ten men as well.

So that takes us down to one pitch invasion that had nothing to do with Newcastle specifically. Also, that pitch invasion happened this week while your lot have been wishing for an Everton relegation since about February so it doesn't serve as an explanation as to why some of your fans have got so invested in Everton going down where fans of Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. remain completely indifferent as far as I'm aware.

My working theory is that you lot just miss Sunderland so much that Pickford and Everton are the closest thing you've got to a rival in the top flight. 😉

42 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There's a feeling in the Everton fanbase that it's quite funny when the media talk about Newcastle as this massive club with the best fans in the country because you never even sell out your allocation of 3000 tickets whenever you come down to Goodison whereas Everton fans get panned as grumpy bastards that don't support their team when we sell out every single game home and away. That's not me having a dig, simply explaining the small club comments. When Newcastle were down in the bottom three with no wins in the first 3 months of the season, though, we were no more or less arsed than when it was Norwich or Burnley or Watford, whereas a few Newcastle fans seemed to froth at the mouth with excitement when an Everton relegation looked on the cards. I'm just trying to understand where the general irritation at other football clubs you don't really like turned into the genuine loathing that would usually be reserved for direct rivals.

That protester had nothing to do with Everton. He wasn't even an Everton fan. It's also a bit weak trying to make out that it cost you the game, it was the same for both teams having to stir themselves after that disruption and Everton did it better than Newcastle. With ten men as well.

So that takes us down to one pitch invasion that had nothing to do with Newcastle specifically. Also, that pitch invasion happened this week while your lot have been wishing for an Everton relegation since about February so it doesn't serve as an explanation as to why some of your fans have got so invested in Everton going down where fans of Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. remain completely indifferent as far as I'm aware.

My working theory is that you lot just miss Sunderland so much that Pickford and Everton are the closest thing you've got to a rival in the top flight. 😉

maybe we can swap Everton for Sunderland

48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

To be honest probably not far off. Everton are often referred to as the Sunderland of Merseyside among Newcastle fans. Pickford and the treatment of Rafa probably pours fuel on the fire. A lot of cheap associations are made between Everton and Sunderland, viewed as an uncool smaller club in the shadows of and famous for its neighbour, a sometimes nasty knuckle dragging fanbase, these are the sorts of things I hear. It's a perception.

All fanbases collectively go through phases of dislike of another club like this. The moment will pass and move on to someone else. 

9 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I was right on Norwich (not difficult)

Miles off with Brentford.

Still possible with Burnley.

Sadly on the nose with Leeds possessing Sheffield United potential.

Genuinely feel gutted Villa couldn't make it 2 wins against Burnley.

on chances you should have

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

Have the Premier league confirmed that 

Not sure. All the well-informed Everton insiders are laughing it off though so I'm sitting comfortably.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Everton have worked closely with the Premier League at all times to ensure that they've complied with the rules and it's all already been signed off.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Not sure. All the well-informed Everton insiders are laughing it off though so I'm sitting comfortably.

Is this you @RandoEFC haha

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Is this you @RandoEFC haha

No but I was quoting him the first time. The bloke is reliable, has some sort of "in" with the club. He even gets cited as a source by mister 'inside track' himself Fabrizio Romano.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Everton have worked closely with the Premier League at all times to ensure that they've complied with the rules

Archived