talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

• Subscriber

If you want to prove it's not about the money then you'd be hoping for Everton to go down.

Whoever gets relegated though, football is still 90% about money at this level. All an Everton relegation would prove is that no amount of money can cure leadership so incompetent it's basically sabotage.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

If you want to prove it's not about the money then you'd be hoping for Everton to go down.

Whoever gets relegated though, football is still 90% about money at this level. All an Everton relegation would prove is that no amount of money can cure leadership so incompetent it's basically sabotage.

I like Everton as a club. Plus you have an English manager and the more english managers get through the more options we have at international level. I wouldn't of minded villa going down until they got Gerrard for the same reason. 

40 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What a strange thing to say?

It's ok, @Gunnersauraus doesn't like Leeds. He's mentioned it a few times. No hard feelings.

The reasoning about money and Burnley is a gigantic cop out though and extremely flawed given they spent more than us this season on Cornet, Wieghorst, Collins and Roberts when we signed James and Firpo xD

He should just be honest and say he dislikes us more than the others involved.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I like Everton as a club. Plus you have an English manager and the more english managers get through the more options we have at international level. I wouldn't of minded villa going down until they got Gerrard for the same reason. 

I don't to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's ok, @Gunnersauraus doesn't like Leeds. He's mentioned it a few times. No hard feelings.

The reasoning about money and Burnley is a gigantic cop out though and extremely flawed given they spent more than us this season on Cornet, Wieghorst, Collins and Roberts when we signed James and Firpo xD

He should just be honest and say he dislikes us more than the others involved.

I'm not a fan of leeds no. But I've always wanted Burnley to stay in the league. And when there are big teams near the relegation zone I always want them to go down. Leeds net spend is still more than Burnley over the last 5 years. And your wage bill is higher 

23 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm not a fan of leeds no. But I've always wanted Burnley to stay in the league. And when there are big teams near the relegation zone I always want them to go down. Leeds net spend is still more than Burnley over the last 5 years. And your wage bill is higher 

Everton are a bigger team than us and have a far superior net spent to us as well as Burnley, with a ridiculously high wage bill.

But they are ok? 

Not that I have an issue with that but I think you're just sugar coating what is a personal hate you have for Leeds.

And thats fine because plenty of fans do, thats why we have a fucking "We all hate Leeds scum" chant.

But using financial reasoning and stuff like that to justify something when it's painfully flawed is just a load of tosh if we're being brutally honest.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Everton are a bigger team than us and have a far superior net spent to us as well as Burnley, with a ridiculously high wage bill.

But they are ok? 

I think you're just sugar coating what is a personal hate you have for Leeds.

And thats fine because plenty of fans do, thats why we have a fucking "We all hate Leeds scum" chant.

But the financial reasoning is just a load of tosh if we're being brutally honest.

If leeds were the lowest spending team in the league I would still want you to go down yes I admit that. Admittedly your wage bill is lower than Burnley so I got that  part wrong. I didn't say I always want the bigger teams to go down there are certain clubs I like i admit that. However there are alot of clubs that if they were near the bottom I would want them to go down. I didn't say I always want the biggest club down there to go down I just said I like it when  the bigger clubs get relegated in general. If there was a club down there I liked I wouldn't want them to go down. Theres nothing contradictory about that I never said it was a rule I always want the biggest club to go down 

12 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

If leeds were the lowest spending team in the league I would still want you to go down yes I admit that. Admittedly your wage bill is lower than Burnley so I got that  part wrong. I didn't say I always want the bigger teams to go down there are certain clubs I like i admit that. However there are alot of clubs that if they were near the bottom I would want them to go down. I didn't say I always want the biggest club down there to go down I just said I like it when  the bigger clubs get relegated in general. If there was a club down there I liked I wouldn't want them to go down. Theres nothing contradictory about that I never said it was a rule I always want the biggest club to go down 

Yeah, I think what's confusing about what you say there I've highlighted is what you've said below here a post or so above...

44 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Emphasis on always.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, I think what's confusing about what you say there I've highlighted is what you've said below here a post or so above...

Emphasis on always.

Alright fair enough poor wording. I mean most big teams although there are a few exceptions. And I wouldn't want you to go down if you had a manager who I thought could be a future england manager. I wanted villa to go down until Gerrard took over. The only reason I'm not to keen on leeds is because you beat us in 1999 and we lost the league. It was an early football experience for me. Things like that set up the teams you like and the ones you dont.  But I haven't got that much against them. If you were in Europe I'd want you to do well  

For what its worth, I think everyone has to count Norwich as 3pts really so whilst I'm happy with the win, I'm pretty worried that a game we should have won by 4 or 5 easily, we've ended up scraping in the 94th minute. We can't miss guilt edged chances against the better sides and get away with it.

I just hope the win installs some confidence in the team. Feels like we've been constantly fighting a losing battle so it's all about turning that negativity into positive momentum.

38 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think you should put your drink down and go for a nap. 

Tbh I do like Burnley, they consistently spend the least in the league and whilst their style of play is polarising it’s gets results.

Not sure why you’d want Leeds to go down based on finances though, they have spent about £150+m this season and last but the reality is that you have to spend to stay in the Premier League. It’s just the nature of it now and even then it’s extremely difficult to stay up, more so now than ever.

These days to stay up you need a model or player that stands out, Wolves and their Mendes connection, Villa and Grealish, Leeds spend + Bielsa and then clubs with a strong analytical background like us and Brighton. For most clubs who come up now they will go straight back down, or survive and then go back down, but unless you’re smart with your money like we are (and we’re still not guaranteed to stay up at all) you have to spend big most seasons, or at least every other.

25 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think you should put your drink down and go for a nap. 

I have no interest in what you say 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Dean Smith was English too..

I used to see Burnley as a feel good story. But then they hacked Wesley & Tom Heaton in the same match vs Villa. And 1 of the Burnley fans organised the 'White Lives Matter' plane. Which in turn made me notice the lack of Burnley squad members with a skin tone similar to Maxwell Cornet.

17 minutes ago, Danny said:

Tbh I do like Burnley, they consistently spend the least in the league and whilst their style of play is polarising it’s gets results.

Not sure why you’d want Leeds to go down based on finances though, they have spent about £150+m this season and last but the reality is that you have to spend to stay in the Premier League. It’s just the nature of it now and even then it’s extremely difficult to stay up, more so now than ever.

These days to stay up you need a model or player that stands out, Wolves and their Mendes connection, Villa and Grealish, Leeds spend + Bielsa and then clubs with a strong analytical background like us and Brighton. For most clubs who come up now they will go straight back down, or survive and then go back down, but unless you’re smart with your money like we are (and we’re still not guaranteed to stay up at all) you have to spend big most seasons, or at least every other.

I don't have an issue with Leeds spending money. I just said I like the teams with more money to get relegated because I think its  good when it's not all about money 

3 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Dean Smith was English too..

I used to see Burnley as a feel good story. But then they hacked Wesley & Tom Heaton in the same match vs Villa. And 1 of the Burnley fans organised the 'White Lives Matter' plane. Which in turn made me notice the lack of Burnley squad members with a skin tone similar to Maxwell Cornet.

He is but I dont personally see him as a future England manager. He might be but if he is I'm not convinced he would be very good. I could be wrong though so should of probably backed villa when he was there. 

23 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't have an issue with Leeds spending money. I just said I like the teams with more money to get relegated because I think its  good when it's not all about money 

On the other hand, you end up with a league that becomes less competitive.

I think after the leeds result last night that is the current bottom 3 down. I think dyche will probably leave Burnley now. He'll get a job in the premier league easily if he wants it 

• Subscriber

Norwich are gone, the only one I'm confident about. Burnley shouldn't be written off as they still have five winnable home games against Everton, Saints, Wolves, Villa and Newcastle and two of their away games are Watford and Norwich.

Watford also have Everton, Leeds, Brentford, Burnley and Leicester at home. All winnable from their perspective.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Norwich are gone, the only one I'm confident about. Burnley shouldn't be written off as they still have five winnable home games against Everton, Saints, Wolves, Villa and Newcastle and two of their away games are Watford and Norwich.

Watford also have Everton, Leeds, Brentford, Burnley and Leicester at home. All winnable from their perspective.

Leeds winning a few and Everton getting a win has put pressure on Watford and Burnley who don't win often.  Burnley should have beaten Brentford but squandered chances.

At least one team this time of year normally find the ability to grind out results.

For me Burnley have been good at doing this from January the last few seasons though this one not going so well and looking at Weghorst as tall as he is he is not that good in the air like Wood was. Initially thought Weghorst was a good signing though now think they will miss a striker with good arial ability.

So thinking their time might be up this season. 

Yeah, I'd be surprised if it's not Norwich, Burnley and Watford. I don't see any of them having the quality to put two or three results together and Everton and Leeds have always had enough quality to nick them a result. 

Archived