The better place to talk football.

Aberdeen manager departs after 11 months

football forum

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/02/2022 at 11:42, CaaC (John) said:

It was a disaster and not only for his tenure but for a chance to have built off what position the club had been in. Not to be forgotten is what was at stake last season as well, with third place (which was Hearts) guarenteed group stage European football of some kind. It was definitely not the time to take a chance on a coach whose experience was reserve team football on another continent. And overall, a staff that lack any real experience to deal with a club with the ambitions it should have.

Taking McInnes out wasn't the issue. I think most fans would argue that his run was over and there needed to be a change within the club. But an approach of appointing an inexperienced manager, before then appointing a Director of Football / Head Scout after the summer transfer window had a poorly put together squad. Of which, it's difficult to pick the worst signing as it's so hard to pick between them.

Kjetil Knutsen, the Bodø/Glimt manager, was approached in February about his interest in the managerial post. Which was what they should have been doing last year. With a stable position in the league, a chance at Scottish cup success and European football all but assured for the next season. Instead of this year, with a club in free fall and the best players almost certain to leave in the summer.

In January, the signing of Vicente Besuijen is a spark of hope from the club. A signing from outwith the usual SPFL / lower English league bubble which Aberdeen have been signing from for most of the last decade. He's already shown his talent and has shown what the club can be doing.

With the appointment of Goodwin, I'm very pessimistic. Three months before his appointment, he would have had no chance at the job, but a good run of form for his St Mirren team and he became almost viable. And there really seemed to be no other inspiring candidates.

The end of last season did nothing to suggest otherwise, and he needs a strong start to next season to have many other supporters to think otherwise as well.

• 7 months later...
On 24/01/2023 at 02:14, CaaC (John) said:

Are you there @ScoRoss xD

I would imagine the order of the boot is imminent for Goodwin.

Gone today, but we'll overdue. Each of the last three games has been a sack worthy offence.

My views on him never really improved. They never looked good because of an overall plan, but due to just individual talent. And defensively look worse, and more unorganised than ever.

Cormack is now onto his third managerial appointment in under two years. And one he needs to get right. There is a huge need to look outwith the UK and find a different approach.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Gone today, but we'll overdue. Each of the last three games has been a sack worthy offence.

My views on him never really improved. They never looked good because of an overall plan, but due to just individual talent. And defensively look worse, and more unorganised than ever.

Cormack is now onto his third managerial appointment in under two years. And one he needs to get right. There is a huge need to look outwith the UK and find a different approach.

Maybe it was well overdue but surely the players must take some of the blame, I never watched the game but maybe losing 1-0 or 2-1 to the Hibees but 6-0!!, the players must have not given a shit if he stayed or not.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Maybe it was well overdue but surely the players must take some of the blame, I never watched the game but maybe losing 1-0 or 2-1 to the Hibees but 6-0!!, the players must have not given a shit if he stayed or not.

Almost the entire team has been brought in this season. So it would be his recruitment as well that's let him down.

A bit of a wider look for a manager is required. With Barry Robson probably going to be interim manager, he can't do a much worse job than has been since the season restarted.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Almost the entire team has been brought in this season. So it would be his recruitment as well that's let him down.

A bit of a wider look for a manager is required. With Barry Robson probably going to be interim manager, he can't do a much worse job than has been since the season restarted.

Wish your team well buddy as me being a Man United man and SAF connected to Aberdeen in the glory days when he was there I still have a soft spot for you Dons. :)

Archived