talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Violent Conduct Charges Handed to Ibra & Mings

• Administrator

I'm still undecided on whether Mings meant the 'stamp' on Ibra's head. Part of me thinks it was on purpose because of the lack of sympathy straight after it. But then another part of me thinks that he didn't specifically know where Ibra's head was and genuinely didn't know so it was an accident.

Ibra will definitely get a ban (or should, anyway!) for the blatant elbow on Mings though.

Regardless, and a bit cliched, but it was great to see a proper battle on the pitch go on for the whole match. Granted it wouldn't have happened if  the ref sent one of them off. Good to see someone go up against Ibra physically as well. Both players claimed it was just part of the game afterwards and didn't target each other in their comments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39182905

IMG_9420.JPG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Mings meant it but it was reckless play regardless of intent.

Seeing as Ibra has already been suspended this season and has two instances of violent play against him you'd think he'd be looking at minimum of four games out. 

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Mings was 100% intentional. He jumps, looks down and it's a completely unnatural movement of his foot. Who stamps their foot when landing? 

Wrestlers.

• Subscriber

I think both of them knew what they were doing and while Mings did do something wrong, Ibra's was worse and with his history its hard to see how they appeal it to not receive the punishment. Whats funny is the post match interview with Mourinho, this is a guy who most people know is always harping on sarcastically about the refs and what they do but in this one he said the ref did everything right. Going to be an interesting next few games (whatever the match ban is for Ibra) because I am sure this issue with the ref not seeing the incident and calling it will come up again in one of his post match interviews.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I'll admit I don't see where the controversy is coming from, it's a intentional stamp from Mings and he's right to be punished.

I just can't figure out how people think it's unintentional, or that an elbow is worse. You've got have some pretty bias glasses on. They're both knobheads.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

How is an elbow worse than raking your studs across the back of someone's head? Ludicrous suggestion.

The rake was a graze and it most certainly wasn't worse than trying to elbow someone in the side of the head. the impact of hitting someone in the temple-area can put them out if its hit just right. Either way both are going to be punished for what they did and its not like they weren't at each other for the full game either.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

The rake was a graze and it most certainly wasn't worse than trying to elbow someone in the side of the head. the impact of hitting someone in the temple-area can put them out if its hit just right. Either way both are going to be punished for what they did and its not like they weren't at each other for the full game either.

Ah, and football boot to skull is such a better prospect! Give over. Saying Ibrahimovic was aiming for his temple is like saying Mings was aiming for his temple as well. Ones thrown an elbow, the other a foot. They're equally as bad, but a foot carries far more power and has the added danger of sharp studs. Just because it ended up as 'a graze' doesn't mean it wasn't an attempted stamp. The contact he made was still bad, and could have been much worse.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So its not as bad because he didn't connect properly? The intent was there and had he caught him properly would have done more damage than what would have come from an elbow.

Given the choice between having my head stood on by a bloke in studs or having an elbow to the face I'd choose the latter.

Well if he connected properly he'd have snapped his neck and lets just say no more Ibra and call it that but it didn't happen which is what is going to be discussed in the context of how the punishments are dolled out.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Ah, and football boot to skull is such a better prospect! Give over. Saying Ibrahimovic was aiming for his temple is like saying Mings was aiming for his temple as well. Ones thrown an elbow, the other a foot. They're equally as bad, but a foot carries far more power and has the added danger of sharp studs. Just because it ended up as 'a graze' doesn't mean it wasn't an attempted stamp. The contact he made was still bad, and could have been much worse.

And you've clarified the point I was making which was an attempted stamp that didn't connect leading to potential serious injury. In the other case of an elbow hitting the side of the head did the player not go down? We can also argue that Ibra just got on with it but if it was a serious attempt to cause harm then it would have left him floored. When someone reviews it, and I hope they do it right, they'll look at which could have caused more damage and surely the elbow to the side of the head was clear contact and the attempted stamp didn't look like it dealt as much of a threat to the player. One is an attempt the other is clear contact and while the two are driven by intent its not going to look like that to the reviewers  because they aren't just going to take that into context and go with the other situations in the game as well.

When they come back today with what will be the punishment I hope they both get whats justifiable to either but in the context of the game Zlatan did a lot more and it was a contest between the two which was good to watch till it got a little silly.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Well if he connected properly he'd have snapped his neck and lets just say no more Ibra and call it that but it didn't happen which is what is going to be discussed in the context of how the punishments are dolled out.

And you've clarified the point I was making which was an attempted stamp that didn't connect leading to potential serious injury. In the other case of an elbow hitting the side of the head did the player not go down? We can also argue that Ibra just got on with it but if it was a serious attempt to cause harm then it would have left him floored. When someone reviews it, and I hope they do it right, they'll look at which could have caused more damage and surely the elbow to the side of the head was clear contact and the attempted stamp didn't look like it dealt as much of a threat to the player. One is an attempt the other is clear contact and while the two are driven by intent its not going to look like that to the reviewers  because they aren't just going to take that into context and go with the other situations in the game as well.

When they come back today with what will be the punishment I hope they both get whats justifiable to either but in the context of the game Zlatan did a lot more and it was a contest between the two which was good to watch till it got a little silly.

So Zlatans is worse because he made contact, whereas an attempted head stamp that only grazed someone's head isn't? Not having that mate. You've obviously made your mind up on this one though and there's no changing it, so we'll leave it there.

Mings intention wasn't really clear for me, can't say if he wanted to do it or it was just an accident. Zlatan caught him with the elbow and it was 100% deliberate no discussion there, however i think they will both be banned and Mings to get a longer suspension if the FA see's it as an intentional stamp.

I was watching the game without commentary and haven't yet seen replays or pundit reaction. At the time I didn't think Mings stamp was intentional. The move was flowing quickly and he jumped early. Bournemouth are well within their rights to appeal that. Ibrahimovic's elbow on the other hand was blatantly intentional given how pissed off he was in the build up. This on here saying it was a great battle would have been saying the players a thug if it was Costa instead of Ibrahimovic. He deserves a lengthy ban. Hopefully it will bring him down to earth a little.

• Subscriber

How is an elbow to the head any less violent or reckless than Mings actions?! Just because elbow's are more common place doesn't make them any less horrific imo. Absolutely cowardly action.

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

An elbow doesn't have metal studs and a person's full body weight behind it. 

It's been discussed in another thread but I know which attack I'd rather be on the end of.

I think the fact one appears reckless and one was clearly intentional which is the main talking point that is going to baffle people. 

Archived