talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 26 Matches - Saturday 18th February, 2022

football forum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been shit today and that’s a deserved goal from Arsenal. They’ve not had a lot of good chances, but they’ve had a lot of opportunities to create and if you keep offering them that then eventually they’ll produce something good.

Weve had a lot of problems with injuries this season, a lot of results that you can pin down to circumstances outside of our hands. But today is fully on Frank.

5 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Ffs Watford and Burnley winning away from home. :dam:

Steven Gerrard struggling?

This is embarrassing he looks lost, media headline grabbing appointment but looking more baffling by the day now. He won’t get long I’ve seen it’s knives out among the fan base already

• Subscriber

We need to go three in the middle from now on. Please God let us have employed one manager who can see this. Doucoure was supposed to be close but didn't make the game today. When he comes back it needs to be him, Allan and Van de Beek in a midfield three. I wouldn't be starting Calvert-Lewin at the moment because he has a lot more to find after that injury lay-off. Gordon, Richarlison and Iwobi/Gray/Alli in a front three.

Pickford was the only one who was half-decent for us there. Allan really poor and Gomes too when he replaced him. All of them giving away the ball too often in midfield and inviting them to break on us time and time again. Blame lies with the individuals for the poor passing but also the manager who didn't do anything about the midfield having nobody to pass forward to. Calvert-Lewin should have come off instead of one of the wide players.

Still, our fans, commentators, pundits, all need to stop being so irrational in their responses to our performances. Every time we win it's "I reckon we can get in the top half now" and every time we lose it's "we're going to get relegated, aren't we". We're a mid table side. Mid table sides tend to beat those around them at home and are prone to losing to the teams around and below them away. Even by these standards, we are an inconsistent side with inconsistent players. If we show mid table form for the rest of the season we'll finish about 13th or 14th, our worst finish in many, many years, the reason being the shambolic three months we've had in the middle of the campaign which the board took far too long to do something about.

7 - Romelu Lukaku had just seven touches against Crystal Palace, the fewest in a single Premier League game for a player with 90+ minutes played since this data is available in full for the competition (2003-04). One of those touches was from kick-off in the first half. Quiet. Only Eze (3) & Mateta (0) who came on after the 84th and 91st minute respectively had fewer touches than the Belgian.

No doubt he starts Tuesday and Sunday. 

That was uncomfortable against Palace it looked like men against boys with the likes of Pulisc and Kante on the pitch.

CFC were better in the first half and should have scored with the best chance falling to Kante with just the keeper to beat.

Second half was even with Palace threatening to open us up I think Zaha miscued two shots that a while back he would have scored.

The goal came following a triple sub and 'new boy' Alonso' cross found Ziyech at the far post.

Can't comment on the earlier effort ruled out as was not replayed.

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Ffs Watford and Burnley winning away from home. :dam:

Steven Gerrard struggling?

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

This is embarrassing he looks lost, media headline grabbing appointment but looking more baffling by the day now. He won’t get long I’ve seen it’s knives out among the fan base already

I'd still tend toward it being the strength of the league. For me Sarr & Dennis probably will be on a few wish lists this summer.

And on Gerrard in particular, retaining 11th seemed a very long way off when he was brought in. But the bounce has certainly faded now.

I think with Villa he will get the summer transfer window, assuming they don't drop too far down the table. With a few other clubs at either end of the table, he'd be under very real threat of not making it to next season.

• Subscriber

Thought we were dire in the first half today against Norwich. The passes were there, the attitude to win the ball back too, its just the finish that was horrible. And then there was the substitutions and all of a sudden we were a completely different team. Luis is a great addition to this squad and I can't wait to see how well he does in his time at Liverpool. My man of the match goes to Tsimikas, the guy was relentless today and even though he missed a sitter he kept pushing and trying. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived