The better place to talk football.

Andretti Global - new F1 entry

football forum

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Coma said:

So who would they replace?

No one. They'd just be an additional team. The grid used to have more than 20 drivers/10 teams before. 

• Subscriber

A lot of talk from a few former drivers and stuff this week about why the number of drivers making it from F2 to F1 isn't as high as it should be.

The explanation isn't complicated. F1 drivers are carrying longer careers now than they ever have before, and at 20 cars, the grid has never been smaller. The FIA may be terrified of another set of F1.5 entries like Caterham, Manor and HRT, but there are solutions to that. I'd prefer to see at least two more teams in the sport.

On 01/03/2022 at 13:02, Tommy said:

No one. They'd just be an additional team. The grid used to have more than 20 drivers/10 teams before. 

Is there a cap on how many cars can be on the grid?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Coma said:

I assume the current number of teams is due to the rising costs associated with F1 car development.  

Yep, and also some additional financial T&Cs. Right until 2021, new teams joining F1 wouldn't have been eligible for the prize money for the first 2 years. As it stands now according to the new rules, any new team joining F1 has to pay 200 million USD which is then equally shared by the existing teams. So any new outfit, if they are serious about F1, needs quite a massive starting capital to be able to take part. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

As it stands now according to the new rules, any new team joining F1 has to pay 200 million USD which is then equally shared by the existing teams. So any new outfit, if they are serious about F1, needs quite a massive starting capital to be able to take part. 

This is such unbelievable bullshit. Is there any sport worse than F1 for the teams twisting every single situation, even if it's for the good of the sport, to their competitive or financial advantage? xD

Then the same teams have the cheek to complain about pay drivers or whatever when they can't find a spot to place the latest F2 champion from their academy in another team to gain experience.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RondónEFC said:

This is such unbelievable bullshit. Is there any sport worse than F1 for the teams twisting every single situation, even if it's for the good of the sport, to their competitive or financial advantage? xD

Then the same teams have the cheek to complain about pay drivers or whatever when they can't find a spot to place the latest F2 champion from their academy in another team to gain experience.

Yeah, they call it "value protection" - apparently the current teams only agreed with a fairer prize money distribution scheme for all on condition that any newcomers paid up in advance. Sounds a bit silly to me. I could understand if FIA required all new outfits to legally commit for a certain number of seasons (and maybe asked them to put a certain amount down as security deposit to ensure they comply), but I don't see why the existing teams should get any money from it.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Wow, a proper exclusive old boys club. Any other racing series is always happy to welcome new serious and professional entries; those wankers only care about "pRoTeCtInG tHe VaLue" and making massive profits at any cost. If they ditch Monaco and Spa next while they continue to focus on engaging in sportswashing and fake cringe fests, I'll be done with it.

• Subscriber

It's saying something when you're bigger money grabbing shithouses than the Ecclestone/Mosley years of F1. 

An 11th team would be great. Two more seats for talented drivers, hundreds of jobs created and a 10% increase in on track action for the fans.

I'm disappointed in Toto Wolff who spoke out about an 11th team coming into F1 and getting a slice of the pie having to bring enough of an increase in financial incentive for the existing teams for them to support it. I'm sure it's not just him. But come on, it's still a sport and not just a business. 

• 2 months later...

Archived