talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2021/22 - Fifth Round Matches

football forum

I went to the Saints West Ham tie tonight, my other half was delighted to get through despite Hassenhuttl resting 6 First Teamers from the starting line up. Good atmosphere, game was decent allbeit I wanted to see more from West Ham.

Screenshot_20220302-233637_Instagram.jpg

Have to say, West Ham were so below par. Another side may have taken advantage of the changes Southampton made but for some reason (and I've said this a few times recently), they just look so leggy and out on their feet. The lack of investment in January could really be their downfall because for me, some players need resting but the strength in depth isn't there to do it.

On another note, Armando Broja looks the real deal. I honestly do not see how Saints manage to keep him beyond the summer because if Chelsea don't, another club within the 'Top 6' will. He is an absolute handful.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Pleased for Mino. As was said before he's got a good record in domestic cup competition this year and I hope it continues. He's not ever going to be regular starter but when he comes on in these comps he does make a difference. 9 goals for a non-starter in regular comps isn't too shabby.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Pleased for Mino. As was said before he's got a good record in domestic cup competition this year and I hope it continues. He's not ever going to be regular starter but when he comes on in these comps he does make a difference. 9 goals for a non-starter in regular comps isn't too shabby.

If he's happy to stick around as a starter in most of the domestic cup games and just be a bench player in the league and Europe then I see no reason to get rid of him.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

If he's happy to stick around as a starter in most of the domestic cup games and just be a bench player in the league and Europe then I see no reason to get rid of him.

I don't either. Took a while to start getting into his stride and now that he's there we just have to keep him fit and use him during the crunch part of the season. Our bench has a lot of players that can do the job when required and that's just as important as our starters.

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

On another note, Armando Broja looks the real deal. I honestly do not see how Saints manage to keep him beyond the summer because if Chelsea don't, another club within the 'Top 6' will. He is an absolute handful.

Tied to a 5 year deal so it'll be difficult. Same with Gallagher. 

If Lukaku and Werner can both get away looking absolutely awful against Al Hidad, Palmerias, Plymouth, and Lutton Town, then Broja should be an undisputed regular next season. With new ownership (and apparently a new board) at the very least we can expect them to utilise what we already have. Premier League proven youth players. 

• Subscriber

I hope the travelling Boreham Wood fans and players have the absolute best time tonight, and if they can grab a cheeky opening goal or early-ish equaliser on the pitch then all the more power to them.

More importantly, though, I hope we go and put 5 or 6 past them with a strong team. It's important to see Mykolenko, Patterson and some other fringe players get some minutes but I'm hoping for a largely full strength team. Even if it's against Boreham Wood, it makes the world of difference going into the Spurs game on Monday if the likes of Richarlison, Gray, Calvert-Lewin or whoever features for us tonight know that they're coming in off the back of a goalscoring performance.

• Subscriber

Got to give some credit to Boreham Wood and acknowledge that it isn't easy to play against any side when they set up the barricades like this, but... no movement up front, terrible final ball and moving the ball about far too slowly. Not good enough. We've weakened the side too much here. I think Patterson and Mykolenko needed to come into the team but not Rondon. Townsend has been dump as well. Get Richarlison and Iwobi on.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Imagine @RondónEFC if Everton dont get a penalty they should tonight. He'll go and fight every referee he can find 😂

If this game is close enough by the end for such a decision to be relevant I'll be looking to fight our own players.

24 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

If this game is close enough by the end for such a decision to be relevant I'll be looking to fight our own players.

Looks like you might be fighting them at the moment 

• Subscriber

Meh. Either way, one game away from Wembley. Needless to say we'll need to be orders of magnitude better than that and the majority of our recent away performances to get through the next one.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Just seen the replay of that - no idea how VAR managed to take that away from you.

I mean if anything it looked like it hit the defender's hand. Even if it did hit Richarlison's hand though, how does that square with that goal a few weeks ago, I think it was Middlesbrough against Man Utd, where the player who set it up committed a huge handball but the goal stood?

Rule (still) needs sorting.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived