talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mo Salah Adulation Thread

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Yep most probably. It would be a midfield three of Coutinho,  with any two of Henderson, Can, Lallana and Gini. The like Firmino, Mane and Salah on top of them.

That quartet in midfield is going to be crucial in the Champions League next season because it gives the manager good rotation possibilities and I hope we can keep Hendo and Lallana injury free to afford that luxury.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I remember @SirBalon said that Salah would be found out. Well he hasn't had a bad season in his career yet, outside of the year he wasn't used by Chelsea. 

Never trust a Galician snake:ph34r:

He's monotone...  I don't like him and would be upset at spending money on him.  He is a very poor man's Alexis Sánchez.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I remember @SirBalon said that Salah would be found out. Well he hasn't had a bad season in his career yet, outside of the year he wasn't used by Chelsea. 

Never trust a Galician snake:ph34r:

Salah is a bit overrated though. He has fantastic numbers but they don't exactly reflect how he gets those numbers. He needs a lot of chances.

He is however, very dynamic and will fit into Klopps system.

18 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Salah is a bit overrated though. He has fantastic numbers but they don't exactly reflect how he gets those numbers. He needs a lot of chances.

He is however, very dynamic and will fit into Klopps system.

Olivier Giroud has more than decent numbers.  Forget stats mate!  For god's sake, what is it with stats.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Olivier Giroud has more than decent numbers.  Forget stats mate!  For god's sake, what is it with stats.

Agreed. I only judge by what I see. Stats are useless, and they certainly don't reflect Salah's way of playing.

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Agreed. I only judge by what I see. Stats are useless, and they certainly don't reflect Salah's way of playing.

Stats are an accompaniment that can be used when a general consensus says that a player is brilliant in my opinion.  But in North America they're obsessed with statistics and I understand why because their biggest sports like Basketball, American Football and Baseball revolve around them massively where performance is in question.

Football is a different sport altogether full of errors and improvisation.  Where do stats measure when a player improvises something out of the blue because of his intelligence in understanding a move?  Those moments don't get recorded in the statistics.

16 hours ago, Batard said:

Woeful off topic but I honestly cannot see Coutinho being deployed by Klopp in a central midfield role. It completely negates his effectiveness, he isn't a box to box midfielder he lacks that level of fitness needed for a Klopp Centre mid. Wijnaldum & Henderson is much more imposing. 

Klopp said himself that's where he will deploy Coutinho more often this season and Coutinho has said he'd like to play deeper so to be more involved. He played CM for a couple of games at the back end of last season and was outstanding.  Apparently that's where Barcelona see him playing in their team in a few years too. 

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He's monotone...  I don't like him and would be upset at spending money on him.  He is a very poor man's Alexis Sánchez.

You was upset at us spending money on Firmino & Mane and look how they turned out?

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Stats are an accompaniment that can be used when a general consensus says that a player is brilliant in my opinion.  But in North America they're obsessed with statistics and I understand why because their biggest sports like Basketball, American Football and Baseball revolve around them massively where performance is in question.

Football is a different sport altogether full of errors and improvisation.  Where do stats measure when a player improvises something out of the blue because of his intelligence in understanding a move?  Those moments don't get recorded in the statistics.

Surely if a player scores or assists a goal then it shows that he understands a move? 

I'm not saying stats are the be all and end all but it's a decent measure for how a player has performed over the course of a season. 

Why do clubs employ statisticians if stats are so absolutely useless?

39 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Surely if a player scores or assists a goal then it shows that he understands a move? 

I'm not saying stats are the be all and end all but it's a decent measure for how a player has performed over the course of a season. 

Why do clubs spend big money in players like Adam Johnson and Andy Carroll?

I think stats are an important part of the picture, but certainly agree they can be overrated. Look up the stats of the CL final between Bayern and Chelsea for example. While they are all bar 2 in favor of Bayern only 2 stats counted. Goals scored and penalties converted.

21 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Why do clubs spend big money in players like Adam Johnson and Andy Carroll?

I think stats are an important part of the picture, but certainly agree they can be overrated. Look up the stats of the CL final between Bayern and Chelsea for example. While they are all bar 2 in favor of Bayern only 2 stats counted. Goals scored and penalties converted.

That's basically what I said mate. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Mate....  Read my post again as I never said stats are useless.

I've quotes myself so you don't have to scroll up.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I never knew clubs appointed people dedicated to digging out stats from the internet.  What for?

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You was upset at us spending money on Firmino & Mane and look how they turned out?

I wasn't upset about the money you spent as I don't support Liverpool mate.  I continue to think you paid too much money for Firmino.  Mane has turned out to be more successful though.

But if you look at my first post here, the only reason I even made a comment on this thread was because Spike lured me in here by calling me!!! xD

10 hours ago, SirBalon said:

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Mate....  Read my post again as I never said stats are useless.

I've quotes myself so you don't have to scroll up.

I never knew clubs appointed people dedicated to digging out stats from the internet.  What for?

I wasn't upset about the money you spent as I don't support Liverpool mate.  I continue to think you paid too much money for Firmino.  Mane has turned out to be more successful though.

But if you look at my first post here, the only reason I even made a comment on this thread was because Spike lured me in here by calling me!!! xD

Fair enough! 

I would say though that in today's abnormal transfer market, Firmino was a snip at £28m. 

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Fair enough! 

I would say though that in today's abnormal transfer market, Firmino was a snip at £28m. 

I don't know if it would be considered "a snip" mate because I think you could've signed better and I think he's not a reliable first team player for what you want to achieve.  What I mean is that he's not consistent although he can be a very important squad player if you build on the team.

Many on the other hand is perfect for your system as we've all seen last season.

But you're right that £28m is now an almost meaningless sum of money in football which to be honest is scary.  £100m could in a few years become the norm especially for players that ply their trade up front.

Firmino was definitely more consistent for you last season. Think the general consensus was that he was hit and miss before that, in that he'd have a worldie one week and go missing the next. Still, a very decent player on his day. 

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I don't think anyone suggests that statistical analysis is the be all and end all of football but is has a much larger impact than you suggest.

The use of stats are accompanied by the reading of a game and most people don't use stats correctly to begin with. The obsession with overall possession being an example of that.

• Subscriber

Think the problem with Firmino's amount wasn't just the number itself but the general idea that paying more automatically guarantees you a player that is going to get you what you want and hit the ground running on day one. Never ever the case and yes there are exceptions. 

10 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I find it funny that people still think the PL is stronger than Serie A.

I like the Serie A, but even stars in that league think the PL is bigger. Which is why they come here now.

• The title was changed to Mo Salah Adulation Thread

Archived