talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The 92

football forum

• Subscriber

I've been doing away games for quite a while now, regularly for about 10 years, and in the process have got myself to plenty of grounds - to the extent that I actually have a desire to now get to 92. My Dad's mate had done 87 of the 92 grounds, he actually got banned from Leicester's games and last season decided to get himself to the remaining 5 grounds he hadn't done, so got up to 92 (and sure enough, Forest Green have come up and ruined everything). I fancy possibly doing it myself one day.

So, bored off work, I've made a table with all the grounds I've been to and when I first went to it.

594956c2998eb_The92.thumb.PNG.5955d2f3438f04731a99632993fb87be.PNG

Blue: League
Red: Cup
Yellow: Friendly

So I've got 21 to go. This will become 20 in a months time as we have Luton in a friendly which I'll go to. It was 20 a month ago as well, and irritatingly for me I got the worst of both worlds in the League Two promotion / relegation battles. The last day of League Two saw one of Hartlepool and Newport go down (I've been to Hartlepool, not Newport) and Newport survived. The play-off final was Tranmere v Forest Green, been to Tranmere, not Forest Green, so obviously Forest Green come up.

Forest Green's promotion will have ruined the majority of those who have done the 92.

There are a couple of dubious ones in there. If you notice on Leicester, for example, it says my first time at our ground was 1998 - that was my first time attending said club, but I didn't attend this current ground until 2002.

The dubious ones are Rotherham and Chesterfield. I have been to the Don Valley Stadium to see us play at Rotherham twice, but not their current ground. I have been to Saltergate at Chesterfield, but not the current ground.

It gets a lot harder from here but having hit 70+, I am now aiming to get to 92 eventually.

Anyone else do this?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premier League 6/20

Arsenal, Bournemouth, Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Huddersfield Town, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Southampton, Stoke City, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur, Watford, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United.

Championship 18/44

Aston Villa, Barnsley, Birmingham City, Bolton Wanderers, Brentford, Bristol City, Burton Albion, Cardiff City, Derby County, Fulham, Hull City, Ipswich Town, Leeds United, Middlesbrough, Millwall, Nottingham Forest, Preston North End, QPR, Reading, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

League One 37/68

AFC Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bradford City, Bristol Rovers, Bury, Charlton Athletic, Doncaster Rovers, Fleetwood Town, Gillingham, Milton Keynes Dons, Northampton Town, Oldham Athletic, Oxford United, Peterborough United, Plymouth Argyle, Portsmouth, Rochdale, Rotherham United, Scunthorpe United, Shrewsbury Town, Southend United, Walsall, Wigan Athletic.

League Two 56/92

Accrington Stanley, Barnet, Cambridge United, Carlisle United, Cheltenham Town, Chesterfield, Colchester UnitedCoventry City, Crawley Town, Crewe Alexandra, Exeter City, Forest Green Rovers, Grimsby Town, Lincoln City, Luton Town, Mansfield Town, Morecambe, Newport County, Notts County, Port Vale, Stevenage, Swindon Town, Wycombe Wanderers, Yeovil Town.

I don't suppose I'll get much opportunity to add to these numbers anytime soon watching Orient, which I'll be doing a lot less next season, if there even is a next season. I might occasionally pick a league game and go to it, I quite fancy Villa, but when I do go to Football, it'll probably be a local non-league game. 

• Subscriber

I've been to a surprisingly decent handful for someone who grew up on the Isle of Man and has never had a season ticket or anything, mostly through going to Cambridge pre-seasons when I was younger and Mum ran the website. Nowhere near 92 though.

Been to Everton, Barnsley, Bolton, Reading, Blackburn, Blackpool, Charlton, Doncaster, Wigan, Cambridge, Carlisle, Morecambe, Notts County and Yeovil.

Premier League 15/10

Arsenal, Bournemouth, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Everton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle, Southampton, Tottenham, West Brom, West Ham (Upton Park)

Championship 14/24

Aston Villa, Birmingham, Bristol City, Bolton, Cardiff, Derby, Fulham, Leeds, Notts Forest, QPR, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Wolves

League One 8/24

Blackburn Rovers, Charlton Athletic, Doncaster Rovers, Gillingham, Milton Keynes Dons, Portsmouth, Southend, Walsall, Wigan

League Two 4/24

Coventry City, Colchester, Swindon Town, Wycombe Wanderers.

41 for me. So a long, long way away and to be frank, I don't think I'll ever do it as I tend to go to less games these days.

My Top 5 from those I've visted not including Elland Road for obvious reasons...

1. Hillsborough (Sheff Wed)

2. The Dell (Southampton)

3. Craven Cottage (Fulham)

4. White Hart Lane (Spurs)

5. City Ground (Forest)

• Subscriber

I'm quite lucky really that we've been in three different leagues in the last few years. I bet die hard Bournemouth & Swansea fans have a great number.

On the subject, my top 5 other than ours is...

1. City Ground (Nottm Forest) - That's despite not going since February 2014. I've been eight times. It helped having them in a League Cup game that got abandoned at half time and an FA Cup game too.

2. Vicarage Road (Watford) - Been seven times. We often run into them and of course, there was a game in May 2013 that I went to that I can't recall what happened.

3. KC Stadium (Hull) - Again, we just seem to always run into them and it always falls quite conveniently for me.

4. Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace) - See Hull.

5. Oakwell (Barnsley) - Another I always try and do if I can. I'd love it if these came up. Absolutely superb away end and we've got a great record there.

Just thinking about non-league too. Of the non-league clubs I've done Hartlepool, Tranmere, Leyton Orient, Torquay, Hereford, York, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Hinckley, Loughborough, Shepshed, Barwell and possibly a couple of others that I've forgotten about.

I'm quite chuffed really. To the next lot.

Premier League 14/20

Arsenal, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Everton, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Newcastle United, Stoke, Tottenham, Watford, West Brom, West Ham (Upton Park so probably doesn't count).

Championship - 16/24

Aston Villa, Barnsley, Birmingham, Bolton, Cardiff, Fulham, Hull, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest, QPR, Reading, Sheffield United, Sunderland, Wolves.

League 1 - 8/24

Blackburn, Charlton, Doncaster, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Scunthorpe, Walsall, Wigan.

League 2 - 3/24

Carlisle, Coventry, Stevenage.

Total - 41/92

Thought I had done more than that to be honest - probably feels like it because of doing 7 trips to Blackburn and Wigan etc. I was in a 3 year away game retirement in all fairness but I am back into it now and will be looking to add a few on to that next season. 

Best I've done is London Road, fucking brilliant away end, 4,200 or so in a big terrace behind the goal. Honourable mentions to Oakwell which had a proper old school feel to it and then Villa Park and Goodison are both great.

• Subscriber

They've knocked that terrace at Peterborough down now. Won't have anything like the same appeal. It really is one of the most laughable and contradictory rules of the lot that if you get to the Championship you have three years to replace your terracing with seating (so Burton will have to I assume if they stay up another year) due to "safety".

So howcome if it's safety related, you have three years to do it? Can't be that unsafe can it?

Be unreal if Burton went up again. Imagine a terrace in the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

They've knocked that terrace at Peterborough down now. Won't have anything like the same appeal. It really is one of the most laughable and contradictory rules of the lot that if you get to the Championship you have three years to replace your terracing with seating (so Burton will have to I assume if they stay up another year) due to "safety".

So howcome if it's safety related, you have three years to do it? Can't be that unsafe can it?

Be unreal if Burton went up again. Imagine a terrace in the Premier League.

The issue though isn't that it's unsafe. It's that it is safer to have seating which is a pre-requisite of being able to participate at certain levels of football. The realities though are that for almost all clubs at the lower levels, they do not generate the revenue to afford to be able to carry out the works before they get to the highler level. Brentford had loads of similar issues when they were looking to get promoted into the Premier League the season before last.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Large said:

The issue though isn't that it's unsafe. It's that it is safer to have seating which is a pre-requisite of being able to participate at certain levels of football. The realities though are that for almost all clubs at the lower levels, they do not generate the revenue to afford to be able to carry out the works before they get to the highler level. Brentford had loads of similar issues when they were looking to get promoted into the Premier League the season before last.

Ultimately it's still safety though based on the bit in bold, for all I get the point you're making.

• Subscriber

I don't fully understand why if certain types of seating are unsafe, that it shouldn't be enforced across the board instead of only when you get to the Championship. I get that you'd expect a higher average attendance and therefore more strain on facilities in a higher league but if terraces are deemed too unsafe for the Championship, why are they okay for League 1 and below?

Having sat in Peterborough's 'new' away end which is situated to the right as you looked out from that open terrace, they cannot be using safety reasons as a genuine excuse for knocking that down. 

The 'new' away end is in a cramped, wooden stand with one set of toilets, situated down a tiny corridor. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Having sat in Peterborough's 'new' away end which is situated to the right as you looked out from that open terrace, they cannot be using safety reasons as a genuine excuse for knocking that down. 

The 'new' away end is in a cramped, wooden stand with one set of toilets, situated down a tiny corridor. 

Is that really the whole away end now? You used to get that as a seating option, about 800 seats there on top of the 4,000 or so in the terrace.

• 1 month later...

Archived