talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Juventus (1) 0-3 (4) Villarreal - Wednesday 16th March, 2022

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Spanish football continues to do well even when the quality is lower than it's been in a long time and it's going through a transitional period. @SirBalon

I think this result has shocked European football tbh. I mean, Villarreal are current Europa League Champions so they aren’t to be taken that lightly and they have some very talented players. But this is Juventus we’re talking about here, and AWAY in Turin.

I think I read somewhere that Unai Emery’s record against Italian clubs in European football is incredible, so that adds to som medium of understanding this result even more.

All three Spanish clubs remaining in this season’s Champions League had to really dig in to get into the quarter-finals which actually shows something in all of this. It wasn’t expected as it would’ve been maybe 5 years ago.

Still... With Villarreal we’re talking a TOWN football club here. I think I’m right in saying that they’re the smallest town (population 50,000) to have ever won a European competition in the history of European football. To go to Turin and win 0-3 against football royalty will probably never be forgotten in that town where possibly everyone knows everyone’s face.

Atletico didn’t have to ‘dig deep’ tbf. Shithoused and dived their way to scrape a 1-0 against the worst United team in 10 years and a referee that gave them every decision and would look out of place at Warrington Town this Saturday. 

All credit to Villarreal and Real though.

• The title was changed to Juventus (1) 0-3 (4) Villarreal - Wednesday 16th March, 2022
  • Subscriber

Big result for Villareal. These are the kinds of stories you want to hear about/watch. They'll be buzzing all the way to the next game. 

On a sidenote, Juve have been on the decline for a while now and they behind Milan by a bit now in Serie A. This doesn't take anything away from what happened on the night though.

45 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think this result has shocked European football tbh. I mean, Villarreal are current Europa League Champions so they aren’t to be taken that lightly and they have some very talented players. But this is Juventus we’re talking about here, and AWAY in Turin.

I think I read somewhere that Unai Emery’s record against Italian clubs in European football is incredible, so that adds to som medium of understanding this result even more.

All three Spanish clubs remaining in this season’s Champions League had to really dig in to get into the quarter-finals which actually shows something in all of this. It wasn’t expected as it would’ve been maybe 5 years ago.

Still... With Villarreal we’re talking a TOWN football club here. I think I’m right in saying that they’re the smallest town (population 50,000) to have ever won a European competition in the history of European football. To go to Turin and win 0-3 against football royalty will probably never be forgotten in that town where possibly everyone knows everyone’s face.

Yeah, Villarreal have built themselves a reputation over the years and are one of the first clubs that come to people's minds when they hear "Spanish football", but many forget the size of the town they come from.

What they have achieved in recent times(since the 2000s) is incredible really. They were very unlucky not to reach the Champions league final in 2006 and have consistently been a competitive side over these years.

I am in fact surprised that the Europa League they won last season is their first trophy. This is the type of reputation they have built.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

On a sidenote, Juve have been on the decline for a while now and they behind Milan by a bit now in Serie A. This doesn't take anything away from what happened on the night though.

I'm all for this. About time the Juve monopoly on Serie A was extinguished. And even better that it's both Milan clubs vying for the title (and Napoli). 

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm all for this. About time the Juve monopoly on Serie A was extinguished. And even better that it's both Milan clubs vying for the title (and Napoli). 

I like it when leagues get a bit of a shakeup myself. It's a bit silly when one team dominates for as long as Juve has. It's also nice to see Milan back at the top after what has really just been a "lost in the woods" period for a while now.

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Atletico didn’t have to ‘dig deep’ tbf. Shithoused and dived their way to scrape a 1-0 against the worst United team in 10 years and a referee that gave them every decision and would look out of place at Warrington Town this Saturday. 

All credit to Villarreal and Real though.

I only saw the highlights of that game tbh. I think United have some very talented players but lack leadership.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I like it when leagues get a bit of a shakeup myself. It's a bit silly when one team dominates for as long as Juve has. It's also nice to see Milan back at the top after what has really just been a "lost in the woods" period for a while now.

But the beautiful outcome for football  in Italy would be Napoli winning it imo.

On 17/03/2022 at 05:57, SirBalon said:

But the beautiful outcome for football  in Italy would be Napoli winning it imo.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see AC Milan do well again because I like them a lot... but I would fucking love Napoli winning the Serie A.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived