talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Saudi Arabian GP - 25-27th March

football forum

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Max was respectful to Leclerc too after the race.

It's why I can get on board with this battle - two great drivers and mutual respect. I wonder how long it'll last. There's bound to be some costly incidents at either driver's fault throughout the course of the season. 

Last season Lewis and Max raced hard and fair during the earlier races. As the season goes on it will become more tense, usually there is a trigger which sets things off. Last season it was Silverstone, after that it got rough and dirty.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Feel bad for Perez, but realistically what can be done? It’s swings and roundabouts and every scenario is the finest of margins. It’s one of those things. Unless I’m missing something. 

It is one of those things but it's something they could fix. The rules used to allow for even more unfair randomness when safety cars happened which is why they introduced the lap time delta that makes the drivers go around at a certain speed when there's a VSC or SC. This problem is a pit lane one so they could either make the pit lane speed limit even slower during a VSC or implement a minimum pit stop time of say 8-10 seconds so that cars in the pits have to do things more slowly same as the cars on the track.

And Leclerc and Verstappen have been rivals for a long time in karting. With some heated incidents before. So it's kind of cool to see that they now reached that stage in F1 where they are proper rivals. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

And Leclerc and Verstappen have been rivals for a long time in karting. With some heated incidents before. So it's kind of cool to see that they now reached that stage in F1 where they are proper rivals. 

They had that race in Austria and that battle at Silverstone a few seasons back. Bless their firm sexy bums.

A nice and surprisingly clean battle. Max trying something and then adjusting his strategy made this a very exciting race to watch.

I do have to ask though... is it just coincidence or are these cars less reliable? Can't remember watching a race where so many cars just randomly stopped working.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Panflute said:

A nice and surprisingly clean battle. Max trying something and then adjusting his strategy made this a very exciting race to watch.

I do have to ask though... is it just coincidence or are these cars less reliable? Can't remember watching a race where so many cars just randomly stopped working.

It's quite normal to have worse reliability at the start of an F1 season, especially after a major rule change where they've had to revolutionise rather than evolve their car designs with new elements of the power units, cooling systems, etc. This track is also quite difficult for the cars due to the bumps, increased chance of clipping a bit of wall or kerb, and the humidity and ambient temperature pushes them closer to the limit than your average track in terms of temperature management.

• Subscriber

Quite a decent race, surprisingly clean, too. Thought the excitement was fizzling out a bit in the middle of it, but then the turn of events that led to Max vs Leclerc battle in the final few laps made sure it ended with a bang. Those two battling is always extremely good stuff.

It's also great that we now have two top cars with very different strengths and two drivers who can get the best out of it. What I find interesting is that so far in both races this season Red Bull went with lower downforce setup; I wonder whether that's because the car performs better with less downforce and drag design-wise, or if it's just circuit-related setup choice. RB's baseline top speed on the straights is scary, but it will be interesting to see how it performs on higher downforce tracks.

A race to forget for Sauber, especially Zhou :(

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Tommy said:

They have and it is cool to see. 

It’s happened many times before and it will again as the structure to get to top is insanely hard but it works. It’s nothing new to see old karting rivals take that into F1. The class shows way before these guys get to one of the best cars in F1. They’ve been ahead of the pack and dominating teammates and others.

Then you get newbs who always say “it’s the car”. Any driver would win in that car.

Those who are true fans of the sport know that you only get to the pinnacle and in a great car after showing class all your life in several other cars and formats.

Charles is a class act. Now he’s in front of several mainstream cameras  more his class is evident off the track too. You don’t overtake a 4x World champion as the number one driver in your team without being a unique talented driver. 

From a bias POV I hope we see Russell doing the same. Only 2 races in but I’ve given up hope of an 8th title for the goat this year :( .

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

What happened after the start there? Did he accidentally put his car into neutral?

It looks like Sauber have an ongoing clutch problem that they still haven't fixed, Bottas had a similar issue in Bahrain. 

But him serving a 4s penalty instead of 5s and then getting another drivethrough penalty because of it was brutal 😅

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

But him serving a 4s penalty instead of 5s and then getting another drivethrough penalty because of it was brutal 😅

And it happened to a Swiss team! Everything I've been told about the "Schweizer Uhrwerk" has been a lie. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

And it happened to a Swiss team! Everything I've been told about the "Schweizer Uhrwerk" has been a lie. :ph34r:

xD

Actually, I just realised he was penalised again not because the penalty served was too short, but because they put the jacks on the car prior to serving the penalty, so it didn't count :dam:

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, MUFC said:

When Max and Charles were in a wheel to wheel battle. The idiots kept showing replays, it was pissing me off.

Agreed. Also the helmet cams are cool but the view of the action isn't actually great from inside the helmet. They're a bit over used at the moment.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, MUFC said:

When Max and Charles were in a wheel to wheel battle. The idiots kept showing replays, it was pissing me off.

Agreed. 

I think even Button said they need to go back to live coverage during the race while a replay was on. 

What does everyone think of helmet cam? (easy tiger, @MUFC).

I think for night races it's not great. Day races may be better. I think it gives a great perspective of a) the view drivers have and b) how concentrated they have to be as a result (as if none of us knew that anyway). 

• Subscriber

I hate those helmet cams. I don't mind if they show some of it in replays, or release the footage after the race, but for live action, I find it extremely annoying and distracting.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I hate those helmet cams. I don't mind if they show some of it in replays, or release the footage after the race, but for live action, I find it extremely annoying and distracting.

Agreed. I loved it when they released it after the Bahrain GP when Charles battled Max. But I don't need it in the live coverage all the time. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived