• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Saudi Arabian GP - 25-27th March

football forum

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It's all very gross. Not much surprises me after the civil war year in Bahrain where FOM refused to show the team in practice, I forget which, who threatened to pull out of the GP because a car full of their mechanics got held up at gun point on their way to the circuit or something. I don't expect them to stop the race or anything like that because money, money, money. But jeez at least do us the courtesy of not making it quite so obvious all of these team principal and driver meetings are nothing more than going through the motions.

Domenicali spoke last year about bringing F1 to these countries because it can bring positive change with it. I'd suggest that if F1, and FIFA and any of these other organisations for that matter, would bring a lot more change if they could respond to the suggestion of a Saudi GP by saying "we'd love to, but you need to get your house in order first."

Having factories blown up by missiles and burning in the background while F1 just carries on is an awful look whichever angle you look at it from.

Ralf Schumacher who is the Co-Commentator on German Sky, will leave Saudi Arabia tomorrow morning. Not out of fear, but because a red line has been crossed for him. 

• Subscriber

I don't think all of the drivers are at the meeting but it's still going on. Hamilton, Albon, Norris, Tsunoda, Sainz all in the last picture I saw. Think Magnussen and Verstappen may have had their say and gone to bed as they've posted the usual generic stuff positive day, lots to learn tomorrow, on their social media channels.

Got to be at least some chance that there's going to be disruption here in some shape or form. The drivers have started establishing this collective voice over the last couple of years in support of good causes. If that is going to transition from pre-race gestures into them using their clout to actually do something tangible, you have to wonder if racing in these conditions isn't enough to trigger some sort of response, what will be?

• Subscriber

Could end up with a scenario here where some boycott the race and some don't.

It's worth mentioning at this point that the mechanics, physios, catering staff etc. have no means of having any say in this besides relying on their team principals or drivers to use their clout on their behalf. I've seen some talk about the F1 mechanics creating some sort of union as Domenicali talks about a 30 race calendar. They really need to come up with some organisation for the team staff so that they can choose some representatives to go and have their say. The team principals are too close to F1 management themselves to be completely impartial in representing their employees in situations like this and relying on the drivers is inappropriate.

• Administrator

This is just not on. 

This isn't about driver safety any more. There's quite clearly more at play here beyond what the drivers do and don't want to do. 

There basically shouldn't be any racing at all this weekend. What's to say another missile attack doesn't strike on the track or in the paddock between now and Sunday evening? It's ridiculous it's even up for debate whether to race or not. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived