• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Saudi Arabian GP - 25-27th March

football forum

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RandoEFC said:

No injuries for Schumacher. Steiner still suggesting he might not race tomorrow as a precaution.

No visible injuries. With those G-Forces, you can never be too sure about internal injuries. But hopefully he's completely fine. 

Would Haas even be able to build a completely new car until tomorrow? 

• Subscriber

Feel bad really concentrating on the sporting side of things given that we've seen the worst F1 has had to offer politically and safety-wise this weekend but there was some interesting stuff out there.

Perez only out qualified Max once last year, also in the second race at Imola to get on the front row. I'm glad he's got on pole today and hope he can convert it effectively tomorrow into a strong challenge for victory. People have already written him off this year and assumed Leclerc and Verstappen will fight it out for the title and maybe Sainz. I remember Hamilton making a comment about him at Mexico last year which was a bit barbed "you know they're fast when you've got Checo on your gearbox" and Binotto made comments ahead of Bahrain that they expected Max to be a bit ahead of them and Checo a bit behind. The guy is obviously going to play second fiddle to Max if push comes to shove but he's still a class driver and he shouldn't be written off. As for Verstappen, I'm being harsh at such an early part of the year but he isn't currently quite hitting the heights of his performance last year yet. A lot of the drivers are getting affected by the subtle changes to last year and perhaps the new car isn't quite so suited to his unique driving style. But maybe there's a slight hangover as well from how high he had to raise his standards to hold off Lewis last season.

Ferrari still looks like the strongest all-round package to me. Sainz on provisional pole again after the first runs but not able to get the best out of the new tyres to beat his team mate. At least he's in the same league this weekend though, he had me a bit worried in Bahrain where Leclerc basically trounced him.

Alpine were next on the grid. 5th is a really good result for Ocon who almost got on the podium here last year. They should definitely be targeting that 4th place in the championship. Alpine, Alfa Romeo and Haas look reasonably well matched but Alpine have the advantage of a strong and experienced driver lineup who you know are going to more or less maximise their points tally each weekend.

I was surprised how bad Mercedes are here. I thought they'd benefit from fewer slower corners which is where they were losing out in Bahrain but the bumps have made their porpoising issue even worse. There's also a clear problem with their straight line speed, be that down to drag or the new power unit. Hamilton obviously shouldn't be going out in Q1 but I think they got their qualifying strategy wrong and they've admitted they made a mistake in their setup. I do think they'll be fine though. That team knows how to pull in the right direction. Not often we've seen both Lewis and Max outqualified by their team mates on the same day.

Bottas continuing his amazing run of 100+ Q3 appearances. This really isn't something to be sniffed out when you've seen today with Lewis and Mick how easy it is to mess up qualifying. Another decent performance from Zhou.

Gasly pretty much delivering as you'd expect. Tsunoda can't catch a break in the other car and needs his luck to pick up soon.

Haas also having a tricky one despite Magnussen making it to Q3. He said his neck was basically fucked and he should have done a much better time in Q3. Mick obviously out of the race tomorrow as well. His escape from that nasty crash is obviously the most important outcome of the day by far.

As for the rest... a bit of an improvement from Mclaren. The car actually looked quite well balanced when they followed Lando for a lap in Q1. It's obviously just slow. Ricciardo picked up a three place grid penalty as well for impeding Ocon.

Aston Martin look really poor again. At least Stroll achieved the bare minimum of outqualifying Hulkenberg this time so people can make slightly fewer memes about the boss' son this weekend.

And at Williams... a decent return from Albon so far. Latifi though is completely failing to build on his improvement throughout the back end of last year, has so far been pretty comfortably outperformed by his team mate who comes with a mixed reputation, and then he goes and dumps it in the wall today too.

Max having a radio hissy fit 2 weeks on the bounce in qualy. I hope he keeps his head and really takes the fight to Ferrari with help from Chicken. 

So far both Ferrari drivers have been really calm. I hope they and more so their team remain like this and don't implode in any way. 

Did anyone predict pole correctly?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-hamilton-suggests-pit-lane-start/

The articles out on Hamilton this week is not encouraging,  back to the blaming the team for not getting it right and outright not a good look for  a guy that has had a free ride for the best part of 7 years. 

I'm not sure I draw the same conclusions from the article?

Telling his team that he was “so sorry” after being informed of his elimination, Hamilton later told French television: “I’m looking forward to going home.”

The Briton has since been moved up to P15 on the grid after Haas confirmed that Mick Schumacher would not take the start after his horror crash.

Hamilton, though, is considering a pit lane start as that would give Mercedes the chance to “change the car” ahead of the race.

“For sure, there is something wrong,” PA quotes him as having said. “It has never been that bad.

“Maybe I will start from the pit lane and change the car so it doesn’t handle the way it just did.

“I just apologise to my team. Everybody works so hard and when you don’t deliver for them it is gutting.”

Hamilton is not sure as what the difference in the set-ups was, but concedes it was his call how his W13 was set up.

“I don’t know how different the cars are set up but the car was undriveable with the set-up I chose,” he said.

“But it’s my own fault, I made some set-up changes.

“I don’t know if that was everything to do with it, but it was very unstable. I don’t what I’m going to be able to do, but I’m a long way back.”

• The topic was unpinned

Archived