• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Halo (2022)

football forum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Heard it's bad from a lot of places. What's your take? 

Negative reviews I’ve read are that it isn’t reminiscent to the game or source material. 

I personally like the direction this is heading. Normally I’d agree with those critics, but the writing is actually good and directed very well. 

On 25/03/2022 at 18:14, Cicero said:

Negative reviews I’ve read are that it isn’t reminiscent to the game or source material. 

I personally like the direction this is heading. Normally I’d agree with those critics, but the writing is actually good and directed very well. 

My biggest criticism is if they knew they were going with an “original” story, why did they have to use Master Chief & blue team (now silver team for… reasons) - when there’s enough lore for them to tell their own original story without fucking with the story as told in the games, books, other adaptations?

Because I think telling original stories is a way to get people who don’t care about Halo to maybe care about the show.

But for people who do know the story, the good writing just seems lazy because a lot of it seems alien to fans of the series.

It doesn’t matter too much because as far as the games go, the story’s been a bit shit since Halo 3 & while I like Halo Infinite’s campaign they’ve tried to retcon 4 and 5 in it which is shit story telling in itself.

I guess I was hoping the show could give inspiration to future Halo campaigns… but now I just hope the show and the games remain as separate as possible.

• Subscriber

Watched the first episode, and as someone who hasn't played Halo and thus isn't familiar with the storyline, I am really enjoying it so far. 

Master Chief gives me the Mandalorian vibes though xD

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I saw a clip of humans shooting elites with the chain gun, and it doing nothing, then the chief picks one up and mows down half a dozen elites in a second xD

Yeah, that was pretty bad xD But then I think I'm more forgiving than your average viewer, so it doesn't bother me as long as the show is entertaining.

Is it just me, or does the show looks and feels a lot like Mass Effect? Elites look so much like Krogans, is it the same in the games? Also general atmosphere and music.

Also, watching the first episode made me very interested in the original story, but I have no time to play so would prefer reading the books. Are they worth it? Any specific reading order?

As someone who has played the games (and absolutely loved the first two) I've stayed away from this as I've heard from a "Halo fan" point of view it's a trainwreck.

I'll probably watch it at some point, but everything I've heard is everything I feared they would do with it. 

• Subscriber

I watched the first episode and thought it wasn't good but it wasn't entirely bad either. It may just be a slow burner that gets better as time goes on and rewards the viewers. Having said all that some things really could have waited till episode 5 and revealing so much of the political angle in this movie so early is a good thing I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Having never played the games it won't matter to me as long as it's reasonably entertaining... 

It attracts viewers who've never played the game more so than the fans of the franchise. 

I've enjoyed it personally. 

Episodes 2 and 3 a bit meh. Hopefully it picks up soon as it’s gone downhill since episode 1. 

Feel like this story arc around masterchief and humanizing him would’ve worked better in later seasons vs off the get co. 

On 03/04/2022 at 09:06, nudge said:

Yeah, that was pretty bad xD But then I think I'm more forgiving than your average viewer, so it doesn't bother me as long as the show is entertaining.

Is it just me, or does the show looks and feels a lot like Mass Effect? Elites look so much like Krogans, is it the same in the games? Also general atmosphere and music.

Also, watching the first episode made me very interested in the original story, but I have no time to play so would prefer reading the books. Are they worth it? Any specific reading order?

It's more like Mass Effect than Halo, for sure

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's more like Mass Effect than Halo, for sure

Whatever it is, I actually like it xD

I guess it's the same thing like it was with Foundation - a friend who hasn't read the books is absolutely in love with the show, while I thought it was a decent sci-fi series but had little to do with the actual Foundation.

On 03/04/2022 at 11:48, DeadLinesman said:

Have they ‘Resident Evil’d it?

I dunno what they did to Resident Evil but... they've made huge changes from a lot of things about Halo's story. I think the weirdest one is probably Master Chief's personality and the way they go about humanising him is very different to how they do it in the games.

I also think it's a bit shit because it doesn't really feel like humanity is at war... which is sort of the fucking premise xD

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Whatever it is, I actually like it xD

I guess it's the same thing like it was with Foundation - a friend who hasn't read the books is absolutely in love with the show, while I thought it was a decent sci-fi series but had little to do with the actual Foundation.

Yeah it's not really a show for people who actually like Halo's story from the games/books/comics - the show writers said they didn't really even play the games or read any of the source material. I think the goal was to make Halo fans out of people who didn't play the games or don't really give a shit about the story.

I can respect that to an extent... but I don't get why they had to dress it up like Halo when they could have just made a wholly original sci-fi show to tell their story instead of pissing off a lot of Halo fans xD

• Subscriber

Think the biggest mistake they made here which was done better in the Mandalorian is how the character was shown to evolve with a mask on. It's amazing how little of a shit I gave for Master Chief the minute I realized they want him to talk more vs dealing with the rebels or anyone/anything else involved. This is primarily because you spent a grand total of 4minutes showing me that he's a ruthless killing machine before flipping everything to humanize him immediately. 

• Subscriber

Plenty of action in the latest episode... :D 

I'm thoroughly enjoying the show. Don't like the Kwan's subplot and think it drags the show down a bit (except Soren. Soren is brilliant), but the main storyline is keeping me interested and I like what I am seeing so far.

Archived