• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Australian GP - 8-10th April

football forum

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Aston Martin's big brain season continues as Stroll holding up all of those cars allows Albon to pick up a rare point for their only realistic rivals. xD

That whole "Leclerc is overrated" narrative that was perpetuated by some last year is aging well.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That whole "Leclerc is overrated" narrative that was perpetuated by some

Fools! 

I've seen Leclerc come up through the ranks, and he's actually the only reason why I watched GP2 in 2017. It was pretty evident that he is something special. 

• Subscriber

Leclerc and Ferrari very dominant; it will be hard for anyone to beat them this season if they do not self-implode. So far it seems that they made a really good job building the new car, and used their extra wind tunnel and CFD time well. It will be interesting to see how the in-season development will change things, if at all. 

• Subscriber

Ferrari have just nailed it haven't they. They have the joint-fastest if not outright fastest package overall and it just doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. They've got upgrades coming and because they seem to have an understanding of their car in terms of getting it set up and not having any reliability problems or nasty surprises, there's less risk of upgrades taking them sideways or backwards. Mercedes not really understanding their car is what's stopping them from catching up at the moment as they're admitting that their simulations aren't correlating with what happens with the car out on track. It's the most likeable Ferrari team I can remember as well between the drivers and Mattia Binotto as the face of the team.

Red Bull can still challenge if they sort their reliability problems out quickly. Perez is driving really nicely so far this year. I just worry for them that they seem to have quite a narrow window for optimising their performance compared to Ferrari and even when things do fall nicely for them, they're only a match for Ferrari.

It's good to see how close the rest of the field are as well that when we go to new circuits that play more to the strengths of different cars, those small fluctuations in performance see the competitive order change quite a lot. In three races we've already seen Haas, Alfa Romeo, Alpine and McLaren lay claim to that spot as the 4th-fastest team after Mercedes. 

This season is brilliant, even races like today were not that much happens are great just because we've had such a shuffle in the standings. Charles Leclerc already looks dialled into his Ferrari and will take some beating, yes it's only three races but when you consider that Mercedes are on the back foot and Red Bull clearly have a car that can't last a race distance he's only going to get faster and pull further away. Ferrari have just nailed this season after a few years of being seen as an absolute banter team and to be honest I'm excited for them.

Made up for George Russell too, looking really comfortable in that Mercedes and as with Charles, he's only going to get better the more he gets to grips with it. Hamilton in P4 was nice to see, but him being a little bitch on the radio hit a nerve with me - I can't be arsed with him being a nob-jockey while the Mercedes is slower than expected (especially when there was literally nothing his team could do about the situation). To be honest was pleased that he came in off the podium as he'd have probably just moaned in the interviews about ''dIFfiCulT sITuAtiONs''.

At the back of the field, that Aston Martin is a bag of shite - I honestly think Seb will call it a day after this season. The team is well documented as being toxic and I just don't think he can be arsed fighting with a shopping trolley for another year or two.

• Subscriber

Sainz's steering wheel was not working, so they changed it right before the start of the race, but due to it not being configured right, he had wrong torque mapping and his anti-stall kicked in twice.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Interesting race so far. I'm not quite sure why this Carlos unlucky narrative is being perpetuated by the commentators. He was unlucky with the red flag but after that the bad qualifying run, bad start and spin into the gravel are just a bad reaction. Like I said yesterday, all very Bottasy from him.

Hamilton-Perez battle has been fun, now with George ahead of them. I think the safety car timing kinda ruins the race for those who started on the hard tyres although they will get to finish on the faster mediums.

Vettel not exactly covering himself with glory. Unforced error and another expensive one for Aston Martin.

Regarding what you said about Sainz. I'm not just saying this because of what happened in todays race. But I've never really been sold on him as a top rank driver or generally as high as people rate him. I remember last season speaking to people face to face, they were saying Charles has been found out etc. I said to them that Charles is going to school him next season. There were even people on various forums last season, who suddenly overnight had a grim view of Charles and were talking like Sainz was an overnight God send to F1. 

We're only 3 races in but I can't wait to catch up with some people face to face. I've just never been sold on Sainz, I'm not saying he's shit but I just don't rate him highly nor do I think he's as good he's made out to be.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived