talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should There Be Four UK Teams in International Football?

football forum

@Spike A country doesnt have to be a sovereign state and a sovereign state doesn't have to be a country. Therefore united kingdom  is the sovereign  state and England, Scotland, wales and northern ireland are countries. Denmark,new Zealand and france have over seas territories so they have a similar thing. The confusing part is where britain is referred to as a country as well 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Spike A country doesnt have to be a sovereign state and a sovereign state doesn't have to be a country. Therefore Britain is the sovereign  state and England, Scotland, wales and northern ireland are countries. Denmark,new Zealand and france have over seas territories so they have a similar thing. The confusing part is where britain is referred to as a country as well 

Britain has never been referred to as a country. It’s the land mass consisting of the countries that were ruled by the kingdom of Great Britain (which referred to the main land mass of England, Scotland and Wales). Part of France was included as ‘Britain’ at one point.

28 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Britain has never been referred to as a country. It’s the land mass consisting of the countries that were ruled by the kingdom of Great Britain (which referred to the main land mass of England, Scotland and Wales). Part of France was included as ‘Britain’ at one point.

United kingdom is referred to as a country  I meant to say 

4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Spike A country doesnt have to be a sovereign state and a sovereign state doesn't have to be a country. Therefore united kingdom  is the sovereign  state and England, Scotland, wales and northern ireland are countries. Denmark,new Zealand and france have over seas territories so they have a similar thing. The confusing part is where britain is referred to as a country as well 

That isn’t true at all. Country is such a poorly defined word that you can make an argument that a village in the middle of Tanzania is a country because it meets all the criteria. Regardless of what the hell you want to call it, state, country, division, subdivision, mini-empire, it is all semantics. I already said so earlier in this thread but the truth is that whatever you define as England means diddly squat and it gets mouth breathers fuming. As if it matter what word is used, or that it changes anything. I don’t know why but reminding the English that it is only a constituent member of a larger political entity causes titties to be sore, but it is funny as hell. Must be some residual cultural  arrogance that have to England number one over the other members

What's the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britain? Is Great Britain minus Northern Ireland, and if so, why? I am seriously asking, I don't know this. My guess is Great Britain is the isle. While United Kingdom incorporates all the 'countries' as one and pretends to be it's own?

26 minutes ago, Toinho said:

What's the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britain? Is Great Britain minus Northern Ireland, and if so, why? I am seriously asking, I don't know this. My guess is Great Britain is the isle. While United Kingdom incorporates all the 'countries' as one and pretends to be it's own?

Great Britain is the big island, British Isles are all the islands north of france and south of those little islands are Iceland

• Subscriber

The UK's actual full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain = England + Wales + Scotland

United Kingdom = England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland.

The island of Ireland = Northern Ireland + Republic of Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is still in the European Union despite its only land border being with Northern Ireland which is the main reason for the UK's departure from the EU being such a mess. Brexit is actually a misleading name because it was the UK including Northern Ireland that left, not just Britain.

And if that's not fucked up enough for you, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey aren't a part of the UK or Great Britain but are called Crown dependencies and movement between them and Great Britain is free. You can also travel freely from those places to Northern Ireland but you'd technically need a passport to cross the border into the Republic of Ireland.

No wonder people can't be arsed with the British Empire or Commonwealth existing anymore eh?

It'd be interesting to know actually what percentage of the English/British/UK population could actually describe the difference between the UK and GB.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

The UK's actual full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain = England + Wales + Scotland

United Kingdom = England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland.

The island of Ireland = Northern Ireland + Republic of Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is still in the European Union despite its only land border being with Northern Ireland which is the main reason for the UK's departure from the EU being such a mess. Brexit is actually a misleading name because it was the UK including Northern Ireland that left, not just Britain.

And if that's not fucked up enough for you, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey aren't a part of the UK or Great Britain but are called Crown dependencies and movement between them and Great Britain is free. You can also travel freely from those places to Northern Ireland but you'd technically need a passport to cross the border into the Republic of Ireland.

No wonder people can't be arsed with the British Empire or Commonwealth existing anymore eh?

It'd be interesting to know actually what percentage of the English/British/UK population could actually describe the difference between the UK and GB.

I didn't know it until recently. I dont think its common knowledge that northern Ireland isnt park of Britain. Even less so for the channel islands not being part of the uk.

Do you think the channel islands should have their own national sides? I think they have more of an argument than the 4 British side personally 

The Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories should 100% be incorporated into regular governance. Either made a regular local authority within the UK, or incorporated into the closest authority. 

The Caymans for example, should be made part of Cornwall. 

• Subscriber
On 01/04/2022 at 09:13, Inverted said:

The Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories should 100% be incorporated into regular governance. Either made a regular local authority within the UK, or incorporated into the closest authority. 

The Caymans for example, should be made part of Cornwall. 

The Isle of Man has an entire parliament of its own with 26 MHKs for a population that would usually be represented by 1 MP in Westminster. There are occasions where it's important for the islands to be able to go their own way with things. For example, the Isle of Man was literally Covid free for about 6 months in the second half of 2020 meaning we lived completely normally barring border rules while the UK were in and out of various lockdowns, traffic light systems, etc. Overall it does seem a bit mad though.

Archived