talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Smith Smacks Chris Rock

football forum

It must be a build up of a lot of things. Their relationship has been publicly discussed for a while and he's mainly been made fun of. Seems like he just had enough after seeing that his wife was offended by it.

Not good look for him but I wouldn't say he's a bad guy because of it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s the Oscars, a load of heavily privileged actors get together for their heavily privileged award season and someone is paid to gently rib them. If you don’t wanna be the target or don’t want your wife to be a target of a joke at an event that pays people to make jokes about highly paid and a lot of the time out of touch actors then don’t turn up.

Everyone and their dog knows the slap had nothing to do with what Rock said and everything to do with Will Smith getting mugged off by his wife’s entanglement left right and centre.

Bitch move and he 100% wouldn’t have dared do it if it was a comedian who would have had an equal chance to smack the shit out of him.

He genuinely thought it was funny. Just a bizarre situation he got himself in to. Chris Rock is a shit for that sort of joke, but it wasn’t THE WORST joke at her expense.

Also, Smith either slaps like a child or Rock has a good chin. Took that like a champ and didn’t miss a beat. 

There is still a part of me that thinks it’s staged, mind. 

Will Smith isn't the type to do this for publicity. He spent his whole career trying to be clean cut even as a rapper. Him breaking down during his acceptance speech also suggests it's not a work.

18 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Will Smith isn't the type to do this for publicity. He spent his whole career trying to be clean cut even as a rapper. Him breaking down during his acceptance speech also suggests it's not a work.

Makes you wonder if he's on something. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I'd do the same if someone gunned for my wife on a regular basis. A one off joke is probably okay but having read up a bit more, Rock seems to have made jibes about her on more than one occasion...

Tbh I don’t understand this reasoning.

Your wife’s not an actress at the Oscar’s, so obviously a comedian gunning for her would not be alright.

Will Smith’s wife is a public figure at the Oscar’s though. I’m also not sure.

I’m also not sure it’s right for a person to hit a comedian just because they’ve hurt someone’s feelings…

… especially because it’s the US. There will be people copy Will Smith here and walk up onstage and hit a comedian that offended them. And it’s the US so I wouldn’t be surprised if one day a comedian is shot over offending someone.

Their relationship is weird but come on this flaming trend at award ceremonies has got to stop.

I just don't find humour in upsetting people regarding their personal life or appearance.

It was more than likely staged but if it wasn't then fair fucks to Will, he might slap like a girl but he made his point.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Your wife’s not an actress at the Oscar’s, so obviously a comedian gunning for her would not be alright.

I’m also not sure it’s right for a person to hit a comedian just because they’ve hurt someone’s feelings…

… especially because it’s the US. There will be people copy Will Smith here and walk up onstage and hit a comedian that offended them. And it’s the US so I wouldn’t be surprised if one day a comedian is shot over offending someone.

I wasn't exactly matching it up to the same scenario.

I didn't actually mean a comedian would target my wife! More if any random person started making personal 'jokes' towards my wife, on a regular basis, then I'd obviously take umbrage to it, and it may end up in me hitting them (I don't actually condone violence but if provoked, it's a line worth crossing). 

Agree it's not the best example set by Smith. It's not great for anyone to see. He clearly thinks Chris Rock has something against him/his wife. Yeah he may have been laughing just as the joke was being said but we've all had those moments where there's a bit of derision and bemusement before thinking 'fuck this, he's crossed a line and I'm gonna deal with it now'. 

I didn't even think Rock's joke was actually that funny anyway. 

Given how Smith reacted in his speech, I think it's quite clear to see there's a shitload going on within himself - and you know what, don't we all? Everyone has shit they have to deal with so again, I don't really condone what Smith has done, I can just realise (without any hint of idolising) that he probably has lots of other problems and it's this one remark that tipped him over the edge per se...

Well aware there'll be comments saying 'yeah well we don't all punch someone when they say something we don't like'. Well duh. I know that. Because we all have our own internal limits of what we can/can't tolerate and how we respond to it. 

The whole situation is pretty fucked up generally.  

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Being in the US has got you in hyperbole mode. 

3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Being in the US has got you in hyperbole mode. 

Has it? Maybe I’ve just seen stupid people copy their stupid celebrity heroes too much so I’m a bit jaded by celebrities acting like children and then idiots on social media thinking “well if Kanye and Will Smith can be total morons, then I will be too”

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Meh. 

I understand why he did it but its not something I would ever condone, let alone being at the Academy Awards on live broadcasting. 

That's the best thing about it. Something interesting actually happened at the most over hyped event.

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Chris Rock has made a public apology by offering to have sex with Jada. The Smiths have accepted his apology. 

She'll say yes. The slut has shown him up for the last 10 years.

I think it’s a disgrace that Smith wasn’t removed from the building after that. I don’t care if he’s a-list or nominated, he’s just fucking assaulted somebody on live television. 

Both Pickett-Smith and Rock have worked together on several films, one being the Madagascar franchise. You can assume they built a friendship to the point where it became comfortable making jokes with one another. The fact the Rock made a quick joke, followed immediately by an "I love you" confirms as much in my opinion. 

Soft joke but then Jada gave WS the "wait until we get home look" when he laughed at it, so he had to get up and pretend to be a macho for a second by hitting someone he knew wouldn't it back.

The talk of god's mission to him and the devil made me do it take was weird. These people really think they're special, chosen ones and all that, because they have made a lot of money. Kanye West vibes.

Archived