• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Smith Smacks Chris Rock

football forum

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Easily the best take Ive seen so far. Jim Carreys good stuff. 

He's finally being his normal self again after that lengthy mental breakdown (understandbly, giving his circumstances). 

19 hours ago, Machado said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really dislike Jim Carrey's comedy. He does however come across well here and whenever I've seen him outside of a character he's come across as a really down to Earth, likeable guy.

On 28/03/2022 at 08:58, nudge said:

Going to be an unpopular opinion, but I can understand Will Smith bitch slapping him. A bit mean to make public jokes about someone having an autoimmune disease and struggling with it.

The only issue I have is that it was a slap. If you are gonna do it, do it properly and punch him 🤣

On 29/03/2022 at 17:48, Aladdin said:

I had no idea Oscars were happening before this I thought they happened in February.

This is one angle some have, the ratings have bombed so much who cares about the Oscars then roll on with Will Smith hits Chris Rock.

I actually think it is real with wires crossed over a joke that went wrong and Will Smith over reacts.

• Subscriber
On 29/03/2022 at 18:29, Cicero said:

That's largely due to the fact the Oscars reviews have plummeted over the years considering they try to out Woke the previous year. 

I usually think people who complain about "woke" are a bit dumb because it seems to get thrown around at anything that is mildly compassionate or selfless at the moment, but in this context I completely get it.

The hypocrisy of the privileged Hollywood elite getting together at an absolutely lavish event like this to massage each other's egos and preach about climate change, kindness, equal opportunities, anti-war sentiment, or whatever their chosen topic is, I find it really galling with few exceptions. The sentiment is obviously good behind all of those things, and I suppose if a handful of people actually listen to them then the benefit is there, but overall I can't think of anything that comes across as more disingenuous when you look at the amount of time, effort and money these people put into bolstering their brand and reputation at these events.

At least when you have those "Miss World" type beauty pageants, it's broadly acknowledged that the acceptance speech with the fake tears and the "all I want to see is world peace" is basically a parody now and we aren't expected to take it seriously, we're in on what's effectively a bit of a running joke. With the Oscars, you get the impression that actually, these people genuinely want you to believe they're genuine role models, because they believe it a bit themselves, and we should listen to them and take them seriously. It's all a bit embarrassing and shows a real lack of self-awareness on their part.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I usually think people who complain about "woke" are a bit dumb because it seems to get thrown around at anything that is mildly compassionate or selfless at the moment, but in this context I completely get it.

The hypocrisy of the privileged Hollywood elite getting together at an absolutely lavish event like this to massage each other's egos and preach about climate change, kindness, equal opportunities, anti-war sentiment, or whatever their chosen topic is, I find it really galling with few exceptions. The sentiment is obviously good behind all of those things, and I suppose if a handful of people actually listen to them then the benefit is there, but overall I can't think of anything that comes across as more disingenuous when you look at the amount of time, effort and money these people put into bolstering their brand and reputation at these events.

At least when you have those "Miss World" type beauty pageants, it's broadly acknowledged that the acceptance speech with the fake tears and the "all I want to see is world peace" is basically a parody now and we aren't expected to take it seriously, we're in on what's effectively a bit of a running joke. With the Oscars, you get the impression that actually, these people genuinely want you to believe they're genuine role models, because they believe it a bit themselves, and we should listen to them and take them seriously. It's all a bit embarrassing and shows a real lack of self-awareness on their part.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Just to add on to this:

The Academy apparently asked Will Smith to leave after the incident, to which Will Smith, the master of the universe, declined to and sat back in his seat. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Just to add on to this:

The Academy apparently asked Will Smith to leave after the incident, to which Will Smith, the master of the universe, declined to and sat back in his seat. 

Of course he did... despite claiming to be insulted and where most normal people may have got up and left in protest they wanted to tough it out because he was getting an award... I mean let's not let something so awful as having your wife insulted and then slapping the host stop him from picking up his little gold plated statue... 

Had he left when his wife had been insulted the whole situation would have looked much better for him and pretty bad for Chris Rock..  

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Just to add on to this:

He did it out of love though so it's fine. xD

34 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Of course he did... despite claiming to be insulted and where most normal people may have got up and left in protest they wanted to tough it out because he was getting an award... I mean let's not let something so awful as having your wife insulted and then slapping the host stop him from picking up his little gold plated statue... 

Had he left when his wife had been insulted the whole situation would have looked much better for him and pretty bad for Chris Rock..  

Imagine had he did nothing, won the award for best actor and during his acceptance speech he brought up how pathetic it was to have someone who he considered as a family friend, mock a disease his wife has no ability to control. 

He would've ended Chris Rocks career whilst simultaneously gaining the respect of millions. 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He would've ended Chris Rocks career whilst simultaneously gaining the respect of millions. 

Tbh I doubt it, Chris Rock would just need to make a statement that he didn't know she had a disease and apologise. The academy would probably say he didn't write the joke and the writers also weren't aware of her disease and apologise.

I doubt he's even ended his own career here, although he probably should have.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I doubt it, Chris Rock would just need to make a statement that he didn't know she had a disease and apologise. The academy would probably say he didn't write the joke and the writers also weren't aware of her disease and apologise.

Cancel culture would've definitely played its part here. 

Although anyone that is "cancelled" seems to recover whenever the masses turn their attention to another. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Cancel culture would've definitely played its part here. 

Although anyone that is "cancelled" seems to recover whenever the masses turn their attention to another. 

Yeah mostly anyone that's been "canceled" still has a pretty huge platform tbh.

It's funny when they bitch about being canceled on twitter, or some other social media, to their thousands of followers, though.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Imagine had he did nothing, won the award for best actor and during his acceptance speech he brought up how pathetic it was to have someone who he considered as a family friend, mock a disease his wife has no ability to control. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was reading yesterday that ticket sales for Chris Rock's stand up shows have gone up as a result... 

17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I was reading yesterday that ticket sales for Chris Rock's stand up shows have gone up as a result... 

I'm not surprised.

As @Cicero said, all publicity is good publicity.

I also think Chris Rock came through the incident looking like the much bigger man. He's one of the most experienced stand up comedians in America, he could have absolutely torn into Will Smith with that... and imo that's what he was about to say when he said "I could..." and then trailed off after getting smacked. He would have been well within his rights to have acted very differently on the night, imo, and he just regained composure and kept going.

And he would have also been within his rights to have pressed charges for that, but declined to, which I think makes him look even better (idk why though, that's sort of weird for me to think and say... but I think it's true).

And he's probably got a shitload of material coming out of that one event, so I'd be interested in seeing him the next time he comes around.

Archived