talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leyton Orient Thread

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Pocketed decent money from them going down last year. Now tempted to stick some on them to bounce.

Absolutely no chance. 

We have about twelve players, the oldest being 21 and most experienced having played 25 games, our manager's contract ends in a week (he can go), we have no training ground at present and have some work to do to get anywhere near that standard. 

Consolidate this season, and probably next season too and then aim for the top seven. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is up there with the feelings when Lee Steele scored in the 93rd minute at Oxford to seal promotion to League One and when's Chris Dagnall put us 3-1 up on aggregate in the second leg of the play-off semi final in 2014. That's how momentous today is for us. 

Travis' first words to a reporter? "We've got our club back". Hero. Nigel Travis will surely go down in history as a hero in Leyton Orient's history now, for wrestling the club from the poisonous grip of Francesco Becchetti. 

We're back from the dead. That's not an exaggeration either. We were being strangled under Becchetti, life was sealing from us with every passing day but now, we're full of life again, under an owner who has Leyton Orient firmly at heart. 

I've heard that he's actually going to put some serious cash into this, so may be worth an each way bet. Not much having who I'm told is going to be the manager though, but let's see what the official word is. Good news though.

8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Martin Ling, the man who led us to promotion in 2006, returns as Director of Football. 

It's like supporting a proper Football club again. 

Given his knowledge of lower league football that could be a very shrewd move from an advisory perspective. Glad it's all progressing well.

• Administrator

I bet Orient would be a good challenge on FM now. Mainly because of the circumstances that Smiley stated earlier - no training ground, no player over 21 and overall very little experience of this league probably 

On 23/06/2017 at 6:44 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

I wouldn't go that far. Torquay United have shown last season how competitive that league is now.

Torquay, who have financial problems and nearly went down?

On 24/06/2017 at 4:46 PM, Stan said:

I bet Orient would be a good challenge on FM now. Mainly because of the circumstances that Smiley stated earlier - no training ground, no player over 21 and overall very little experience of this league probably 

Nah, we'll sign some players, our training ground has been secured again and we're in a much better state now. 

59 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Torquay, who have financial problems and nearly went down?

Yes in the sense that they're still a club you would still expect to finish higher than they did. Whilst you're in a better place now and you can attract a better calibre of player again talking about winning the league like Bluebird has done when there's so much work ahead with the squad feels premature.

10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Yes in the sense that they're still a club you would still expect to finish higher than they did. Whilst you're in a better place now and you can attract a better calibre of player again talking about winning the league like Bluebird has done when there's so much work ahead with the squad feels premature.

I never said they'd win the league, just put what I saw were decent odds now that they've been taken over and will have a bit more of a 'feel good' factor behind them.

2 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

That's a terrible comparison and one that is quite far from being accurate. 

57 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That's a terrible comparison and one that is quite far from being accurate. 

How so? Even with financial problems it's still a surprise from an outsider to see them finish so low.

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I never said they'd win the league, just put what I saw were decent odds now that they've been taken over and will have a bit more of a 'feel good' factor behind them.

Thought you were implying you think they'd now win the league in light of what has happened. My error. I had a look the other day on Oddschecker shortly after your post and everyone other than Tramnere had odds of 10/1 or  over which shows how open the league could be. Unless Tramnere romp it of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Davis announced as Head Coach. Ex-Crewe boss, who led them to promotion from League Two. 

I'm pleased with the appointment, he ticks a few boxes. He's worked extensively with a young squad, he's worked with a DoF and he's had success at a club. We couldn't have hoped for much better at the minute. 

• The title was changed to Leyton Orient Sold To Lifelong Fan Nigel Travis

I would be shocked if Leyton Orient managed automatic promotion. Every chance of a playoff spot though but I think there's at least two or three teams better placed for a stab at finishing 1st.

Archived