South Korea

First potential post for That didn't age well world cup thread

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
18 minutes ago, Danny said:

There wasn't much thought into it either so definitely won't age well

Spain not getting through their group is a bold shout.

My odd shock is Saudi Arabia, they'll advance from their group. They are a decent side under Herve Renard and basically playing at home. Not really a shock since Tunisia and them are on same level and Poland don't do that much on this stage

On 02/04/2022 at 03:31, Waylander said:

England's opening match against Iran will be cagey as i recall Iran play a form of counter attack football and we could well start with a draw and with one of the home nations about to play our of their skin like Wales did in the Euros of 2016.

Iran play very differently with their new manager, I think England will dominate that match.

Iran's got two good keepers, but a pretty poor defense - Kanaani's the only decent defender in the back 4 imo. And he plays in Qatar, so he'll probably be out of his depth against England's attack imo. Iran's midfield is very hit or miss, decent wingers with Jahanbakhsh (who'll probably be pushing forward more and joining the attack from the left) and Gholizadeh (who'll probably be drifting more centrally to help out the central midfielders from the right - but he'll generally be just a ball of energy popping up all over the pitch tbh) - but not the greatest at CM. Ezatolahi's probably Iran's best CM (at least he was in qualification) but whoever is partnering him is probably going to be leaving lots of gaps in the midfield.

Under Queiroz, you could pretty much assume how Iran would approach each match is with a 4-5-1 making things as difficult for the opponent as possible and looking to constantly counter. Basically like a glorified Fat Sam's Bolton. Skocic's tried to be more open and attacking with Iran - because it's no secret that Iran's strength currently is in it's 2 best players: Azmoun and Taremi.

But against better sides with decent midfields, I think these tactics might not be the greatest. I suspect Iran can go toe to toe with the US and depending on who qualifies from the possible other 3 sides... probably against them as well.

But I can't see England having a hard time against Iran. The best hope Iran have is that the fact the group is made up of countries that took democracy away might light a fire under them xD - I know lots of people are hoping England and the US feel Mossadegh's revenge from Team Melli.

But I think it's unlikely. England are strong in the exact areas where Iran are weakest and the best primed in the group to beat Iran. But with Taremi being a really effective high presser (and also a very good attacker) and Azmoun just being very good and having a good international record... I think Iran can definitely cause threats. It's just I think England will domiante the midfield and the attack will overwhelm Iran's defense.

Could get ugly for Iran tbh.

• 2 months later...

Sadly, I now think Iran will be the Group B whipping boys - even though I think it's definitely possible they can get results against Wales and the USA.

But the FFIRI (Iran's equivalent of the FA) is insane and/or incompetent. They struggle to arrange friendlies in preparation for the World Cup... so the overall cohesion of the side I'm sure will be very poor compared to most World Cup sides. But after losing one few friendlies they were able to schedule, 2-1 to Algeria, after a really really awful midfield performance... the manager's position is legitimately being called into question by FFIRI.

And tbh, I think that's mental considering how his competitive record for Iran is pretty fantastic and he dug Iran out of a massive hole in qualification to actually get them to the World Cup. So these people who are struggling to arrange friendlies in preparation are also thinking of disrupting things further by sacking the manager who got them to a world cup and appointing... who knows who...

I think a lot of Iranians want an Iranian manager for the national team or Queiroz back... so it seems weird to me, but many people are actually supportive of the idea of getting rid of Skocic. But it blows my mind because he's done a good job as Iran manager and it seems like he doesn't really get any credit for turning things around after the guy before him was embarassingly shit.

Archived