talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Best Passers in History that could also play as a 9

football forum

So, Jamie Carragher has brought up this interesting debate in Twitter and it seems that it’s off the back of a Harry Kane performance (haven’t seen it so can’t comment).

but it’s a fun and interesting debate in my opinion.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Harry Kane is sensational - just gets better and better

It's a shame he'll go his whole career without winning anything :( 

9 minutes ago, Storts said:

He will win the World Cup

Well if that happens, there are many names that are on many of the most important lists throughout the game’s history that didn’t manage that feat. That would be something special... He’s no where near the historic names in this sense atm, but if he manages to translate those attributes to England winning the World Cup... Well, then it’s there no matter what.

• Subscriber

I don't know if you want to drop Riquelme in this list but I feel like he could have been a number 9 too with a little work and time. 

It's also not out of the way to say that any number 10 could also potentially turn into a 9 position player with a lot of work. Some modern systems are built on that very fact.

Messi's greatest ever performance in El Clasico came without any goals. Still consider him the greatest passer in existence. The amount of thread through a needle esq passes we've seen during him prime was genuinely incredible. 

I'm going to go with what is probably an obvious shout from a Liverpool fan: Steven Gerrard. Rafa even thought Stevie should end his career as a striker rather than continuing to play as a midfielder - and I think he probably could have been effective there as his legs left him while he and Rodgers saw his late-career path making him more of a deep lying midfielder... where I think him losing his legs actually was more apparent once Suarez left.

He played almost everywhere well and had a great season where he scored and created a lot mostly playing off Torres. I think he could have done well as a striker simply because he was a very complete player with a good eye for goal.

Lampard as well. Not the same passing range, but his movement in and around the box was so good - if that was what he spent his career doing I think he'd probably have been considered one of the best strikers the league has ever had.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I think both yourself and myself are around abouts the same generation mate... 🤣

Hoddle could also be a 9? 😳

He did a couple of times for England.

download (1).png                                                                                                                      

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glenn-hoddle/rueckennummern/spieler/117193

42 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

He did a couple of times for England.

download (1).png                                                                                                                      

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glenn-hoddle/rueckennummern/spieler/117193

Well there you go! 😮

The debate is interesting anyway, but I have an inkling Carragher is talking about players that excelled in both avenues. There aren’t that many because Maradona (for example) can’t ever be classified as a 9 in any terms of his career (he played a few times in that position).

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2022 at 03:23, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm going to go with what is probably an obvious shout from a Liverpool fan: Steven Gerrard. Rafa even thought Stevie should end his career as a striker rather than continuing to play as a midfielder - and I think he probably could have been effective there as his legs left him while he and Rodgers saw his late-career path making him more of a deep lying midfielder... where I think him losing his legs actually was more apparent once Suarez left.

He played almost everywhere well and had a great season where he scored and created a lot mostly playing off Torres. I think he could have done well as a striker simply because he was a very complete player with a good eye for goal.

Lampard as well. Not the same passing range, but his movement in and around the box was so good - if that was what he spent his career doing I think he'd probably have been considered one of the best strikers the league has ever had.

I imagine this post will be also found in the thread ‘The best passers in history that were also goalies’xD

Archived