talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Turkey will stop teaching evolution in schools

football forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/23/turkey-will-stop-teaching-evolution-schools-education-ministry/

Turkish schoolchildren will no longer be taught about evolution, a government official has said, in another sign of the conservative direction the country is heading in under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan

Alpaslan Durmus, the head of curriculum for the ministry of education, said that Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution was “controversial” and would be removed from school programmes by 2019. 

“We have excluded controversial subjects for students at an age unable yet to understand the issues’ scientific background,” Mr Durmus said.  

“As the students at ninth grade are not endowed with antecedents to discuss the ‘Origin of Life and Evolution’ section in biology classes, this section will be delayed until undergraduate study.”

But remember kids: "Only a small, extremist minority don't believe in evolution" and "Only deluded racists believe in Islamisation".

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is that evolution is controversial to be honest and not proven in its entirety. For example the situation with Homo Sapiens has been proved to be incorrect for some time now.

But it is radical to eliminate it from the curriculum as it can be updated everytime there is a major change in new findings. 

1 hour ago, True Bender said:

Are you talking about the question where the first humanoid came from?

I'm talking about a part of the evolution theory on how humans evolved. Originally they thought it was from Neanderthals to Homo Sapiens and then they scrapped that. In recent years they can't even get the Homo Sapien evolution progress correct with the right timescales and geo movements. 

Remember that the theory is a theory for a reason. It isn't fact mate. 

20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm talking about a part of the evolution theory on how humans evolved. Originally they thought it was from Neanderthals to Homo Sapiens and then they scrapped that. In recent years they can't even get the Homo Sapien evolution progress correct with the right timescales and geo movements. 

I can understand this idea thought process, however it is more proven than any other idea. You can see the changes in animals from century to century so why not humans?

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm talking about a part of the evolution theory on how humans evolved. Originally they thought it was from Neanderthals to Homo Sapiens

When did "they" think that and who's they? A majority? That must have been a long time ago.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Evolution is both. Observable genetic changes in organisms over time is a fact. The theory part is providing explanations on how, why and when such changes occur. So in a scientific context, evolution is both a theory AND a fact - and as any proper scientific theory, it's being constantly updated whenever new evidence ("facts") emerges, as natural science is always a work in progress. 

36 minutes ago, nudge said:

Evolution is both. Observable genetic changes in organisms over time is a fact. The theory part is providing explanations on how, why and when such changes occur. So in a scientific context, evolution is both a theory AND a fact - and as any proper scientific theory, it's being constantly updated whenever new evidence ("facts") emerges, as natural science is always a work in progress. 

This. Updates on details don't change the validity of the key mechanisms like natural selection and genetic drift by random mutation.

If you feed a theory with insufficient/false empirical data and get the wrong result, you cannot conclude that the theory must be wrong.

Just like you can't identify a logical fallacy, if you are working with false premises.

A scientific theory isn't  like a theory on why Marco Reus always gets injured right before a EC/WC.

For instance quantum mechanics & -electromedynamics have not been disproven by an experiment despite the remarkable predictive capabilities of the mathematical model. Yet it's refered to as "quantum theory", not "quantum fact".

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Somewhere, Bill Nye the science guy is face palming

Lol you mean the Bill NYE the Tv presenter who wears a lab coat? Any scientific person suggestions that genetics is defined by social identification rather than the scientifically proven chromosomes is a fucking charlatan. It may have been his production company that forced his hand but I don't see a real scientist worth their salt letting that shit fly. 

On topic what do people expect? Religion being used for mind control, I can't believe it. And cosying up to this shit show because of the need for Turkish cash for shame. 200 years from now the only way to advance socially in Europe will be to wrap yourself in a bet sheet and call yourself an "imam" the continent is dead. 

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lol you mean the Bill NYE the Tv presenter who wears a lab coat? Any scientific person suggestions that genetics is defined by social identification rather than the scientifically proven chromosomes is a fucking charlatan. It may have been his production company that forced his hand but I don't see a real scientist worth their salt letting that shit fly. 

On topic what do people expect? Religion being used for mind control, I can't believe it. And cosying up to this shit show because of the need for Turkish cash for shame. 200 years from now the only way to advance socially in Europe will be to wrap yourself in a bet sheet and call yourself an "imam" the continent is dead. 

. He also is known for is controversial religious beliefs due to his personal view on it. 

1 hour ago, El_Loco said:

2017 Turkey is the new 1979 Iran. 

This. So much this.

It's very sad tbh. To see a fairly secular society decide to take steps backwards.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Saying "evolution is only a theory" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the scientific definition of a theory. The theory of gravity is universally accepted... we're not seeing people running around saying they should be able to fly around like superman because "gravity is only a theory."

• Administrator

The slow death of moderate views and open mindedness continues in Turkey. We'll look back on these days in the future as the pre cursor to ... well fuck knows but I hope nothing horrendous  

On 6/23/2017 at 3:31 PM, Batard said:

The slow death of moderate views and open mindedness continues in Turkey. We'll look back on these days in the future as the pre cursor to ... well fuck knows but I hope nothing horrendous  

I think they're planning on doing to the Kurds what they did to the Armenians 100 odd years ago.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think they're planning on doing to the Kurds what they did to the Armenians 100 odd years ago.

That's not a problem...  Kurds aren't worth anything to the West and are literally pawns in a bigger picture of inter-culture conflicts.  Does the West really care about the Kurds?  I haven't seen anything substantial and that dictator and war criminal will do what he wants while the West licks his arse in private.

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That's not a problem...  Kurds aren't worth anything to the West and are literally pawns in a bigger picture of inter-culture conflicts.  Does the West really care about the Kurds?  I haven't seen anything substantial and that dictator and war criminal will do what he wants while the West licks his arse in private.

So genocide is okay then?!

Fucking hell.

Archived