talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Borussia Dortmund Thread

Matthias Sammer joins the club as "externer Berater".  No idea what this term exactly means in this context?

Höchstwahrscheinlich die Höflichkeitsform von "gutbezahlter Dummschwätzer, dem wir keinen verantwortungsvollen Posten geben wollten".:ph34r:

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Options for our striker position:

1. Bats - 24 - 3 years left on contract.

Pro: good performances with BVB, good vibes, actually wants to play for us, can play as Bandenstürmer like Lewi.

Con: almost 25 already, very expensive, injured and might injured for a very long time.

2. Origi - 23 - 1 year left on contract.

Pro: played well for Liverpool, athletic, young, cheap

Con: mediocre season with VW, unknown commitment

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I always liked Weidenfeller;

In a recent interview with 11freunde.com, Borussia Dortmund’s retiring goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller looked back on his career at Dortmund and the development of the club in recent times, his teammates, and his greatest adversaries, particularly Arjen Robben.

Dembélé the egoist

No love was lost between Weidenfeller and former teammate Ousmane Dembélé, who went on strike to force his transfer from Dortmund to FC Barcelona. Weidenfeller associated Dembélé in particular with Dortmund’s effort to improve the quality of the roster, with mixed results:

[The club] has bought a lot more quality. Unfortunately, one’s special identification with the club has fallen by the wayside. Ousmane Dembélé, who left last summer, is an example of that.

Weidenfeller was stunned by Dembélé’s behavior before his departure:

I wouldn’t have thought something like that was possible. He decided he’d leave, staying at home, striking from training, leaving the players in the lurch, and later not even apologizing for his behavior. He didn’t even pick up his soccer cleats. That’s just bad style. From the opening days of the season, that brought unrest into the club. Such behavior doesn’t belong in a team sport.

Remembering the games against Robben

At the instigation of 11freunde, Weidenfeller also talked at length about his relationship with his erstwhile nemesis, Bayern Munich’s Arjen Robben—in certain seasons, the best player on the team of his most determined opponent:

We had a special relationship. We’ve played many big games against one another. In the early years, I was often the winner, but I have to admit that Arjen has won the most duels in the last few years. He is a great player.

Even if Robben may have gotten the better of Weidenfeller (or Dortmund collectively) since that magical day in Wembley, Weidenfeller can nonetheless appreciate the greatness of a great adversary. Weidenfeller considers Robben today a model for all veteran players:

Robben never gave up. Particularly after he missed that important penalty against me in 2012. I have the highest respect for him. Even at his advanced soccer-age, he is still playing on the highest level. What he is doing today should be an example for our team. To deliver these performances at his age, to have such speed, that is absolutely top-class.

Weidenfeller considers Robben one of the best players he has faced on the field, alongside big names like that of Cristiano Ronaldo. In Weidenfeller’s words, “Arjen has left his mark on soccer in recent years, and the Bundesliga the most.”

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:11, Tommy said:

Awful.

I actually like it. It isn´t offensive to the eyes and that is always a good start! That sort of heart beat monitor shape on the chest is interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spike said:

He has had such a bizarre career of ups and downs already. Has the myopathy gotten under control? Is his weight still yo-yoing?

I think health and weight wise he's alright again, but he still hasn't found his former form, despite some rare silver linings. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12.6.2018 at 05:31, Spike said:

He has had such a bizarre career of ups and downs already. Has the myopathy gotten under control? Is his weight still yo-yoing?

He doesn't look as big as he used to anymore, but he's extremely slow which is a real shame, because used to have extremely good acceleration and even decent pace before 2012.

Unless he goes to one of those Spanish wonder doctors(ie: doping experts) he won't have a future as an attacker or even offensive midfielder. He might become a very good DM, though, especially since Favre will implement counter attack based strategies.

Edited by BartraPique1932

51 minutes ago, Marc said:

@BartraPique1932 Do you know much about Passlack, Dortmund right back we have signed on loan.

Passlack is a lot like Götze and actually tried to emulate Götze 8 years ago when he was 12 years old, despite being a full back. Most notable is the way he stops the ball with his chest; leaning back as far as he can, just like Götze. 

Compared to the average full back Passlack should be a little better at everything(dribbling, technique, vision, passing, 1st touch), except for the most important attribute for a full back: pace.

Passlack might lack pace, I'm not sure on that. If that's true he should probably try La Liga or Seria A.

• 1 month later...