talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Borussia Dortmund Thread

On 16/08/2020 at 21:05, Stan said:

The latter.

A lot of 'our pundits' are quite deluded and arrogant. 

Having said that, agents, players and clubs always try and call each other's bluff and it purely revolves around money.

For all we know, Sancho might want to stay at Dortmund anyway and be paid for the privilege for it :what:

When Sancho heard he got linked with ManU he got so scared, he arrived on time for EVERY SINGLE PRE-SEASON TRAINING SESSION and his defensive workrate is like it's never been before.

I love the new Sancho even more. Thank you, rumor mill!

Edited by God is Haaland

16 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

German media are suggesting Jamie Bynoe-Gittens would join BVB from Man City academy. @Happy Blue can you tell us something about him?

Jamie is another Leroy - his pace and ability on either wing can be too much for most defenders and his Agent is the same as the one used by Mr Sancho which is why despite real M and PSG nibbling - he wants to follow Jaydon and progress as he has done with BVB.  I think he is still only 16 so it might be a bit early, but these days age is just a number.  He is certainly better that the 04 loanee from City - even now - and perhaps we chased the wrong academy kid!  I only wish he'd use his birth name and not some pretentious double-barrelled one which doesn't fit the back of the shirt - just Jamie would do!

• Upvote 1

On 23/09/2020 at 15:25, SchalkeUK said:

Jamie is another Leroy - his pace and ability on either wing can be too much for most defenders and his Agent is the same as the one used by Mr Sancho which is why despite real M and PSG nibbling - he wants to follow Jaydon and progress as he has done with BVB.  I think he is still only 16 so it might be a bit early, but these days age is just a number.  He is certainly better that the 04 loanee from City - even now - and perhaps we chased the wrong academy kid!  I only wish he'd use his birth name and not some pretentious double-barrelled one which doesn't fit the back of the shirt - just Jamie would do!

Thanks. Bless you, Sire.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big problems are coming up next season:

1. Morey out for a year.
  2. Piszczek retiring
  3. Schmelle retiring
  4. Meunier useless - who knows how long it will take until he recovers from his Covid brain damage
  5. Guerreiro often needed in midfield
  6. Schulz seems to lack intelligence
  7. Passlack seems to lack the athleticism

Who could be bought?

Left:

I like Otávio, but he has two years left on his contract and Wolfsburg don't need to sell.

Danny Rose would be an option if he's interested in a short contract only. It's reported he's going to Trapzonspor.

Trippier? Azpilicueta? Roberto?

Right: 

Emerson sure. There are already rumours about him. I'm worried we can't outbid the other clubs interested in him.

22 hours ago, God is Haaland said:

Big problems are coming up next season:

1. Morey out for a year.
  2. Piszczek retiring
  3. Schmelle retiring
  4. Meunier useless - who knows how long it will take until he recovers from his Covid brain damage
  5. Guerreiro often needed in midfield
  6. Schulz seems to lack intelligence
  7. Passlack seems to lack the athleticism

Who could be bought?

Left:

I like Otávio, but he has two years left on his contract and Wolfsburg don't need to sell.

Danny Rose would be an option if he's interested in a short contract only. It's reported he's going to Trapzonspor.

Trippier? Azpilicueta? Roberto?

Right: 

Emerson sure. There are already rumours about him. I'm worried we can't outbid the other clubs interested in him.

Agree with all 7 of your points.  Unfortunately no one's out of contract either (with the exception of Schmelzer and Piszczek) so it's not like we can drop any dead wood.  I think they're going to have sell one of Sancho or Haaland to improve the team.  Still need a GK as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Terzic turned down the Eintracht job yesterday.  I honestly thought he'd go.  Probably a smart move in the long run.  I won't dispute that he's done a fantastic job as an interim manager but he knows Dortmund so well.  Going to a big club like Frankfurt would be jumping into the frying pan and he'd have no support structure to fall back on there.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Coma said:

I would think that an English club would be even further outside his comfort zone.  He did spend some time at Wet Sham but I doubt he would leave the country now.

On the other hand, would he be willing to "downgrade" again and go back to being just part of the staff at BVB (considering he doesn't want to manage another Bundesliga club due to "emotional reasons")? In addition, Rose is bringing his assistant team with him to Dortmund, too. 

Personally I don't think that a half of a season is enough to warrant him getting a full-time job anywhere.  The sample size is just not big enough and coaching hires today are entirely too knee-jerk.  Yes, he was in charge when Dortmund turned their season around but let's be real... this squad should have been challenging for the title this year so it's not like he made them from nothing.  Put me in charge of Man City and I'd still get them in the top 2 in England :D.

If he wanted a head coaching role then I think clubs in the Zweite should be looking at him but I'd hesitate to say that he's earned a job in a top league anywhere.  Yes, it's going to be difficult to go back to being an assistant under Rose but it seems he's made his choice for now.  It wouldn't surprise me though if he left the club sometime in the next year.  He's had a taste of management and he's not going to be content for long, regardless of the "boyhood club" debate.  

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Coma said:

Personally I don't think that a half of a season is enough to warrant him getting a full-time job anywhere.  The sample size is just not big enough and coaching hires today are entirely too knee-jerk.  Yes, he was in charge when Dortmund turned their season around but let's be real... this squad should have been challenging for the title this year so it's not like he made them from nothing.  Put me in charge of Man City and I'd still get them in the top 2 in England :D.

If he wanted a head coaching role then I think clubs in the Zweite should be looking at him but I'd hesitate to say that he's earned a job in a top league anywhere.  Yes, it's going to be difficult to go back to being an assistant under Rose but it seems he's made his choice for now.  It wouldn't surprise me though if he left the club sometime in the next year.  He's had a taste of management and he's not going to be content for long, regardless of the "boyhood club" debate.  

I don't disagree with you and I also think that half a season in charge of a squad with a quality like that makes it really hard to judge someone's managerial abilities. Just wondering if he's considering making a final transition to being a manager next season, or if he'll be happy to stay in Dortmund for now. Maybe he's speculating that Rose will fail sooner rather than later :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't disagree with you and I also think that half a season in charge of a squad with a quality like that makes it really hard to judge someone's managerial abilities. Just wondering if he's considering making a final transition to being a manager next season, or if he'll be happy to stay in Dortmund for now. Maybe he's speculating that Rose will fail sooner rather than later :ph34r:

You could be right on that last point.  Honestly the Rose appointment seemed like a good idea for all of 10 minutes.  Gladbach have been pure garbage this year considering the unreal amount of talent in that squad, and it's not just been since the announcement.  They should've been top 4 again this year.  

• Subscriber

Paywall but a pretty good interview from about a year ago with Rene Maric.

https://theathletic.com/1669125/2020/03/16/rene-maric-borussia-monchengladbach/

Ill post a couple snipits anyways

I once used the term “micro tactics” in relation to Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund at the height of their powers in 2012. They looked like a side who didn’t even need a big tactical idea anymore because they were collectively able to do the right thing by themselves, at the micro level if you will, at any given moment. Is that feasible? When I asked Ralf Rangnick, he thought that was impossible. He said a team always needed a very clear idea what they’re supposed to as there was no time to react well collectively otherwise.

For me, tactics is basically finding a decision, or: the sum of the decisions found by individual players. If a player sees he’s being attacked head on and can dribble past on the right, that’s tactics. That’s what we’re trying to do in training: helping players take stock of the situation and the best decision. If he sees the situation often, he can read it, like a chess player can by looking quickly at the board.

But in chess, only one piece moves at a time?

That’s right. Football is a little more dynamic but fundamentally, I don’t think that micro tactics and “big” tactics are ideas that are in opposition to each other. You need a framework for your solutions. If I tell the player we want to play vertical, he can look ahead before he receives the ball and check who’s available. You take away an array of other possible decisions at that moment, which allows him to focus and be quicker. If the idea is to go forward, the pass can be played in a way that helps the receiver gain ground or an angle to play the next ball forward. If isn’t, you will pass it differently. These are micro-tactics but they exist within a grander scheme of things. The idea is always to find a way of playing that suits your players. Once they master it, you can add extra layers. You want to convince your players of your idea until they try to find flexibility within that set-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news is that Man Utd have offered 78m for Sancho but Zorc wants 95m guaranteed.  Never thought I'd see Sancho stick around for another season but I'm starting to wonder now.  Still lots of time in the summer window and it looks like Dortmund might be lining up Malen as a replacement just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2021 at 13:39, Coma said:

Man Utd have upped offer to 85m.  I'd say Sancho will be leaving soon.

According to BVB Buzz it sounds like Dortmund have accepted a bid around 90m for Sancho.  It was inevitable really.  Also hearing that Delaney might be on the market as well.

Also updated to say that Terzic has joined the technical staff and won't be part of the coaching staff any longer.  Terzic says that he doesn't want to step on any toes with Rose.  Class act and I'm glad that he stayed.  Sounds like Kehl and Terzic will team-up to take over Zorc's role next year.

Edited by Coma
incomplete post

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

Why is he taking a pay cut? I absolutely would refuse to do so when they are one the verge of making big money from Sancho. 

Football is one of the hardest hit industries from the reports I've been reading. Dortmund might be just in survival mode and need a little help anywhere they can get it.