talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Borussia Dortmund Thread

13 minutes ago, Eco said:

Football is one of the hardest hit industries from the reports I've been reading. Dortmund might be just in survival mode and need a little help anywhere they can get it. 

50+ million profit is a good help. 

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

Why is he taking a pay cut? I absolutely would refuse to do so when they are one the verge of making big money from Sancho. 

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

Football is one of the hardest hit industries from the reports I've been reading. Dortmund might be just in survival mode and need a little help anywhere they can get it. 

My understanding was that it's a trade-off for getting a longer deal.  It sounds like he is very eager to re-up under Marco Rose, and he's always been a sleeper fan-favorite... at least to me.  And honestly I don't feel too bad for him, apparently he's on something like 5m per year.

Dortmund has been very open about their financial constraints ever since the bailouts in the early 2000's.  They've already said they weren't going to re-invest all of the Sancho money as they'll use it to offset some of the losses from matchday income.  I'd imagine their matchday income is one of the largest, if not THE largest, in Germany considering the size of the stadium.  They are an extremely well-run business, which puts a lot of football fans off because they don't want to hear about financial responsibility, they want to win.  I get it... and yes I think they are way too conservative at times.  They have become a selling club and it grates on a lot of fans.  The argument that we should be winning more trophies and competing with the likes of Bayern is valid in some respects.  If you look at the squad from the last few years you could argue that we've underachieved significantly.  

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

50+ million profit is a good help. 

They're looking at Donyell Malen from PSV and his winger buddy Madueke, so they'll spend.  Just not all of it.

Big article in The Athletic today about whether Chelsea should go all out and buy Haaland this summer.  It's inevitable that he'll leave and I'd rather get 100m+ for him now than his release clause of 75m next summer.  

Zagadou to miss the start of the season and new youngster Coulibaly also out.  That's two central defenders down.  Hopefully Zorc is looking to sign someone as Dax has never been reliably healthy.

Now Hummels looks like he'll miss the start of the season with patellar tendon issues.  Akanji is the only healthy reliable CB.  I'd say the interest in Halstenberg will ramp up now.  He wants out of Leipzig and was a Dortmund youth player iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

Malen supposedly in Bad Ragaz now for training.  I'm not all that excited about this signing but we'll see.  

Latest rumor is that we are in for Demiral from Juventus.  Now that's a signing that I can get behind given our situation at CB.  Still would like to see a RB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest rumor is that Halstenberg is coming back to Dortmund.  With the CB and FB crises that we have it'll be nice to have an extra body in there.  

Delaney looks like he'll be leaving to go to Sevilla.

A couple sources saying Delaney was on a plane to Sevilla last night.  Dortmund have authorized the move.  Probably get <10mil for him but should open the door to get Halstenberg in.  

How 'bout that right back now, hmmm?

From BVB Buzz:

Borussia Dortmund are reportedly in talks to sign Manchester United right-back Diogo Dalot ahead of next week’s transfer deadline day.

Borussia Dortmund would like to sign a right-back before the transfer window closes next Tuesday. They have been linked with a number of names in recent weeks. And joining that list now is Manchester United right-back Diogo Dalot. According to Sky Sports, the Black and Yellows are interested in Dalot and are looking to sign him on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season.

The report has been confirmed by the Athletic, although they do add that the likeliest outcome is Dalot staying at Manchester United. While Sport1 claim that the right-back wants to join Borussia Dortmund.

Dalot, who joined Manchester United from FC Porto in 2018, has two years left on his current contract. He has been limited to a total of just 35 appearances for the Premier League side so far, and spent last season out on loan at AC Milan. He scored two goals and registered three assists in 33 appearances for the Italian side last season. Sky Sports add that Bayern Munich and AC Milan are also interested in signing the 22 year old.

Dalot is considered to be one of the most talented young full-backs in Portugal, and also made two appearances for his country at the European Championships earlier this summer. He is primarily a right-back, but is also capable of playing on the left. He would certainly be an interesting option should the move go through.

Another from BVB Buzz:

Borussia Dortmund are reportedly set to sign Wolfsburg defender Marin Pongracic on a season long loan deal with an option to buy. 

Borussia Dortmund’s search for a new defender appears to be coming to an end, with reports claiming that they have reached an agreement with VfL Wolfsburg over the transfer of Marin Pongracic. BILD claim that the 23 year old will join on a season long loan deal with an option to buy for a fee of around 12 million euros. The report has also been confirmed by Kicker.

Pongracic is primarily a centre-back but is also capable of playing at right-back. He joined Wolfsburg from RB Salzburg in January 2020, and has made a total of 23 appearances for the club so far. The Croatian international is fourth in Wolfsburg’s pecking order at centre-back, and has yet to feature this season.

Borussia Dortmund head coach Marco Rose already knows Pongracic from their time together in Austria. The duo won two Austrian Bundesliga titles together at RB Salzburg.

Borussia Dortmund were earlier looking to sign a new right-back before Tuesday’s transfer deadline. Diogo Dalot and Valentino Lazaro were both linked with moves to Dortmund. But now it appears that they will be signing Pongracic, who is capable of filling in both at centre-back and right-back.

NEXT: Borussia Dortmund's ideal XI for this season

If the deal goes through, Pongracic will become Borussia Dortmund’s fifth signing of the summer transfer window. Gregor Kobel, Soumaila Coulibaly, Abdoulaye Kamara and Donyell Malen have all signed for the Black and Yellows this summer. It remains to be seen whether any more players will arrive before Tuesday. BVB are also said to be interested in signing Callum Hudson-Odoi on loan from Chelsea.

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Weird signing. 4th/5th choice CB at Wolfsburg and almost always injured anyway. Maybe Rose can get him back in shape.

Uninspiring, I agree.  Forced into a panic buy because Passlack has looked out of his depth.

Edit to add - This isn't the type of buy that teams looking to win titles make.  Too much dead-weight in the squad and this feels like more of the same.

• 1 month later...

Rumor from Bild that Dortmund may be looking to re-negotiate Haaland's contract to give him a pay raise.  It goes on to suggest that he may stay another year but would want his wages and value to be reflected.  Personally, I think he's gone next summer regardless, but if they could re-negotiate and end up with a higher release clause I'd be all for that.  The rumored 75M isn't enough.

More noises about Dortmund giving Haaland a pay raise.  Latest info says a pay raise from 8m to 15m per annum, stay another year (2022-2023) and increase the release clause.  Everyone wins.  

I hope it happens but still skeptical.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So apparently Roman Bürki has rejected moves to Turkey and France and would rather rot as the third goalkeeper at BVB.  Unreal.  

It sounds like in both cases the clubs had a deal in place but Bürki did not want to go.  I can understand wanting to be paid out on your contract and I have no beef with that.  But to be willing to just sit for 18 months is a testament to his attitude.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

So apparently Roman Bürki has rejected moves to Turkey and France and would rather rot as the third goalkeeper at BVB.  Unreal.  

It sounds like in both cases the clubs had a deal in place but Bürki did not want to go.  I can understand wanting to be paid out on your contract and I have no beef with that.  But to be willing to just sit for 18 months is a testament to his attitude.

Maybe he simply just doesn't want to go to Turkey or France :ph34r:

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Coma said:

If I was a player, I'd want to play.  It is the way.

I've often debated this myself. On the one hand I would absolutely want to play... even beer league sports its just alot of fun and gives you that competitive outlet, on the other hand the lazy sack of shit I am; I could absolutely sit on my ass and collect millions :)

Archived